Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2013, 08:51 AM   #41

yeah... saw it the other night and recorded the first 10 seconds of the preview... that way i could show it to my friends, and beat them to the punch!!

figured it was better to laugh with them, as i was expecting to hear "sir, its a boxster" from them anytime

rodnig1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:07 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
I have looked by I haven't seen one of these for our chick car.

EDIT:

Spoke too soon.

Tickled pink in a Porsche - Telegraph
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:13 PM   #43

Garage
Declaration of Recognition

Declaration of Recognition

We, The Boxster Owners of The World, hold these truths to be self-evident, that all Porsches are not created equal. Endowed by their creators to have certain, measurable, engineered differences… among these are size, power, handling, and price. We, The Boxster Owners of The World, to form a more harmonious universe, have submitted to the facts that Carreras (aka 911 generation of Porsches) are superior in price and power. However, Boxsters are in a different class… a true Driver’s car, superior to Carreras in handling and sports driving. Therefore, we, The Boxster Owners of The World, have declared equal recognition with the Porsche name, the same recognition associated with the other 9xx series of Porsches, that all Boxsters shall receive and share the benefits and respect bestowed upon the Porsche badge. Any individual or organization going against this declaration shall be penalized to maximum extent allowed by law (and this forum), and suffer the consequences from the wrath of Johnny Danger. The undersigned have made this declaration, to the world, under no coercion, freely, and willfully, so that we may continue-on with harmonious life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness… So help us God.

Jäger

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:36 PM   #44

Garage
Nice work Jäger! Thomas Jefferson would have driven a Boxster for sure!
1olddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:55 PM   #45

I sometimes grimace when seeing these topics going on about the Boxster's "lack of respect", "not a real Porsche", hairdresser car", etc, some of responses / indignation from users kind of legitimize the jabbing imo. Wanna get really upset about the Box's street cred, look at what some of the Urban Dictionary's definition of it are, OUCH..............

Urban Dictionary: boxster

Remember Guys, it's a heckuva car, enjoy it and stop worrying about what others think......
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:57 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by pothole View Post
Have to be honest. when I see a 986 here in the UK, it's usually a chic driving it.
This is where Europe and the U.S. are very different. 99% of women drivers (except PorscheChick) will not go near a manual transmission.

The only typically manual shift car I've seen women drive around these parts with any frequency is the Mini Cooper. But it's hard to tell if its not actually a slush box from the outside.

9 times out 10 if a chic is driving a Porsche here, it's a Cayenne. Hands down.
In fact over the last 10 years of owning my Boxster S in a part of the country where they are not at all unusual to see, particularly in the morning when I will drive into NYC and like every 5th car is a Porsche, I could count on the fingers of one hand the number chics I've seen driving Boxsters. There have definitely been more women driving Carreras, almost always the current model, never a vintage example, and they tend to be in the 30's and 40's which makes me think they probably have kids at home, hence the need for a backseat.
A few years back Porsche ran ad campaign where they tried to tout that Porsches could be family cars, nearly every ad featured kids with their parents.

p.s.
This chic car topic reminds me of something I used to notice everyday. I would park in this certain garage where you'd park your own car.
It had about 7 levels or so. The top floor was the "Porsche floor". Most people were too lazy to drive up that far so it was generally empty.
There were other sports cars up there like M3's and the sporty Audis but mostly Porsches. All were parked far away from each other.
After a while I saw each driver getting out at one point or another. All dudes.
And on the drive down to the exit, I would always pass quiet a few Cayennes. By the stuff hanging from the mirrors I could tell many chics were driving these cars. But the ultimate chic car in NY/NJ/CT is the Range Rover. That's their 'dream car'.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 07-17-2013 at 06:18 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:38 PM   #47
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
I love threads like this, always a good read and entertaining.

My Boxster ("Porsche") loves chicks and it doesn't make me insecure at all!

WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:55 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
This is where Europe and the U.S. are very different. 99% of women drivers (except PorscheChick) will not go near a manual transmission.

The only typically manual shift car I've seen women drive around these parts with any frequency is the Mini Cooper. But it's hard to tell if its not actually a slush box from the outside.
I thought I heard my name . . .
Old 07-26-2013, 01:01 PM   #49

I'm not going down the "is it a real porsche" rabbit hole again, but I will say this;

It is typically jealous people that disparage what someone else has.

They can't attack a Boxster on performance, handling, looks, build quality, etc.

I think calling it a "girl car" is pretty damn desperate.

If someone says anything like that, just laugh and pity them, for they are seething with jealousy inside.

Just channel Reagan and say "Well . . . there he goes again!"
Old 07-26-2013, 01:41 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster_S_girl View Post
I was pretty offended! LoL but in a fun way.

I searched but didn't find any threads of this movie that mentions the Boxster...

Ready??

GIRL MOST LIKELY TV Spot- "Moving Home PM" - YouTube

At 17 seconds...

Kristen Wigs' character rear ends a 986 (sporting a factory fixed spoiler!). She pleads: "It's just a couple of scratches!" The driver responds: "It's a Porsche!"

To which she condescendingly replies: "Sir... it's a Boxster."

So rude! HAHA! My jaw dropped and all my friends started giggling and teasing me! LOL
I think it's hilarious! Let's face it, as a fellow Boxster owner, I must admit that it's not a 911.
CK25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:27 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK25 View Post
I think it's hilarious! Let's face it, as a fellow Boxster owner, I must admit that it's not a 911.
nor is it a Cayenne. Nor is it a Panamera. It's also not a 928. nor a 968.
And not 944 either. Also not a 917.

What it is, is...the best top down choice that Porsche offers with a conventional engine.
Unless you like your Porsches to look like a bathtub with a big butt like the Cabriolet.

This whole "it's not a 911" thing is nothing more than clever marketing spin that a big part of the public bought into.
Somehow I was immune to it from the get go because I seem to be among the Boxster owners who "voluntarily" (LOL) picked mid-engine roadster over rear-engined Grand Touring.

Wait I do suffer from something similar. I'm a hypocrite!!
When I see a Carrera with the street engine, I think "too bad its not a Mezger". LOL.
Damn those Porsche marketing guys... They got me too!!

Last edited by Perfectlap; 07-26-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:57 PM   #52

Boxsters are awesome cars .
Period .
No need to justify , no need to over-compensate .
It is what it is .......

The only problem is :
Pro : whilst the cheaper ones get more affordable , more people will realize this .
Con : they just keep getting better , making me want a more expensive one !!!
Ian c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:40 PM   #53
Gary D

Garage
[QUOTE=Perfectlap;352423]This is where Europe and the U.S. are very different. 99% of women drivers (except PorscheChick) will not go near a manual transmission. QUOTE]

When we got married, my wife added to the fold a mid 80's Mustang 5 litre. I hated that car. When I asked if I could replace it, she specified "it has to be a convertible, MANUAL, and I have to like to drive it". That was on a Wednesday. By Saturday, the Boxster was in the driveway waiting for her.

It's been her daily driver ever since! Have to be honest though, when it's at home I take it before the 911.
Gary_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:43 PM   #54

Garage
Err, I think Porschechick said she has PDK in her car. Of course, one could argue shifts are faster.
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:42 PM   #55
Certified Boxster Addict

The Boxster gets no respect!

Here is what a guy at work had to say when another guy was thinking about buying a Boxster:
  • Not a real Porsche
  • Never buy an "entry" level car - they are sure to have poor quality and lack performance
  • The engine needs to be dropped (removed) to perform most maintenance and repairs
  • Mid-engine cars overheat - no way to properly cool a car with the engine buried in the center of the car
  • Costs nearly as much as a 911 - so who wouldn't just buy a 911?
  • Boxster engines blow up
This is the kind of crap that gets told from person to person. Amazing.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 07-27-2013 at 05:45 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:44 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
  • Costs nearly as much as a 911 - so who wouldn't just buy a 911?
This is the kind of crap that gets told from person to person. Amazing.
^ This is the one that always gets me. I see it in auto magazines all the time which baffles me even more as those are supposedly car guys who should know better.

why would you bring up a grand touring, if you're interested in buying a roadster?
it's a total automotive non-sequitor. Different engine placement, different seating capacity, different level of practicality, different category of sports car altogether.

It's like saying you spent $150 on running shoes? WTF?? You could have bought dress shoes!

Oh Lordy...

Also, OF COURSE a well-optioned Boxster costs almost as much as the grand touring coupe, convertibles are almost always more expensive to manufacture. Which naturally prompts the manufacturer to bizzarely spin a roadster as a lesser sports car to a ..... err...... a lesser handling grand touring coupe?
Yes Barcelona's Messi is a lesser athlete to the more powerful Shaquille O'Neil because Leo is smaller, lighter and more nimble. Naturally we must all pay more to watch/hire Shaquille. Porsche spins this tale so that they can upsell the customer on the car with the better profit margin. Cha ---ching!

It has been, and continues to be an absolutely brilliant marketing strategy (and execution!) by Porsche. Very very few people seem to be hip to this.
Even among the 'experts'.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 07-27-2013 at 08:10 PM.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:15 PM   #57

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Marty S
If anything, this thread is amusing to read from a comedic point of view. In the end, all Porsches are great cars, no doubt some greater than others and I know of no one who would not like to own one regardless of the model, year or purpose. I am just lucky enough to own two, both a Boxster and a 911 and love to drive both. Honestly, though I must admit I get a heck of a lot more comment and discussion from other motorists when driving the Boxster that is nearly 15 years old than I do from my 991 that is barely a year old.
2102 Fiat 500 Sport
2013 VW Touareg TDI
Marty S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:14 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Boxster View Post
Err, I think Porschechick said she has PDK in her car. Of course, one could argue shifts are faster.
Actually, you're both right.

I think PerfectLap was referring to my driving a manual Celica for 6 years. I loved that car, tons of torque, very responsive and quick.

But, yes, I went the lazy route and now have a Boxster with PDK.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:45 AM   #59

Garage
According to a recent episode "Three and a Half Men" it's a "chick" car
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:07 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsceash View Post
According to a recent episode "Three and a Half Men" it's a "chick" car
the only thing the script writers of that show know about Porsche driving/history is how quickly they can get from the studio to Mastro's trendy steak joint.

chick cars in LA are Range Rovers, Cayenne Turbos, Bentley convertibles and whatever Kim Kardashian is driving this week.