Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2013, 04:25 PM   #1

My 986 Project (slowly but surely)

In 2 weeks time when my parts arrive from pelican (engine mounts, tranny mounts suspension bushing, basic maintenance etc) i will have the 986 in tip top condition.

Will slowly update it when the budget permits (e.g. New bumpers, skirts, litronics and led tail lights, wheels)

First stop, the wheels
Was thinking of replacing my wheels with wheel dynamic's 808 series.
18 x 8.5 F and 18 x 9.5 R

What offset should i get so it will clear the struts and etc.?

Also do you guys think i should go for 19 inches?

Below is how it looks in a 981, cant find a 986.

Below is my car

Pedrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:36 PM   #2

Option 2:

The narrowbody porsche gt3 mag wheels which i really like ( if it will fit)

Would like to have the look below with the red wheels and side mirrors. Your inputs will be very much appreciated

Old 07-07-2013, 04:46 PM   #3

I would go with the 808's....

not sure how they would look on a 986 but they look good on the 981. Only down side I see is that if you got them in black (which I like), they do not have a polished or silver lip to delineate the tires from the wheels (which I do not like). I'd do 19's if they would fit and the car had the right stance (maybe lowered just a bit).
papasmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:05 PM   #4

No contest, 808's. Powdercoat them any color you want.
heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:43 PM   #5

I vote for the 19 inch 808's. Are you thinking black? Post pics when you get them installed. I am thinking of doing black 808's on mine when I am ready for new tires.
bmarti13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:59 PM   #6

Garage
I'd love to have the gt3 wheels
aclark133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:33 PM   #7
San Diego Boxster

Garage
I have those Wheels from my Wheel Dynamics. Love them and get tons of compliments.

http://986forum.com/forums/show-tell-gallery/43078-1998-boxster-project-complete-restoration-4.html

1998 Black Boxster (owned since 2001)
drbodzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:53 AM   #8

Doc, are those 19's?
Old 07-08-2013, 05:55 AM   #9

Hi doc

Yeah i remember! In fact i pm'd you for the specs of your wicked wheels!

Is it clearing the fender and struts? Even in very fast cornering? Wouldn't want the boxsters driveability suffer because of the wheels.

Would anybody know if the gt3 wheels will fit the box? Theyre 18x8.5 and 18x10 the problem is i dont know the offsets for the narrow body ones.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by heliguy View Post
Doc, are those 19's?
Yup, doc's 808's are 19

19x8.5 & 19x10 (45) Fronts & (50) Rears
Old 07-08-2013, 07:31 AM   #11

As for the correct offset, look in the owner's manual. It's listed there.
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:16 AM   #12

personally I'm not a fan of those GT3 color schemes. And I'm really not a fan of those rear quarter panel graphics on the RS. I'm not sure what Porsche's design guys were thinking when they came up with those. They must have just gotten out of Fast and Furious Part 9 or whatever. When the Subaru STI Rally Car looks subtle in comparison to your Porsche, you know something is off. The best looking GT3/GT3 RS I've seen, imho, are the very stealthy looking ones with 'graphics delete'. Like a black GT3 RS with gun metal GT3 wheels.

speaking of which, I had my Carrera 4 spoke wheels redone in the BMW 'Shadow' gun metal color. With new rotors they look great. And the PORSCHE door decals are a great mod for $80.
At some point I'll get around to painting the GT3 Tek Boxster Spyder rear bumper cover (goes over the stock one with a couple of screws). I also added the smoked LED tailights. Those are three great mods that can be done for well under $1K.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
personally I'm not a fan of those GT3 color schemes. And I'm really not a fan of those rear quarter panel graphics on the RS. I'm not sure what Porsche's design guys were thinking when they came up with those. They must have just gotten out of Fast and Furious Part 9 or whatever. When the Subaru STI Rally Car looks subtle in comparison to your Porsche, you know something is off. The best looking GT3/GT3 RS I've seen, imho, are the very stealthy looking ones with 'graphics delete'. Like a black GT3 RS with gun metal GT3 wheels.

speaking of which, I had my Carrera 4 spoke wheels redone in the BMW 'Shadow' gun metal color. With new rotors they look great. And the PORSCHE door decals are a great mod for $80.
At some point I'll get around to painting the GT3 Tek Boxster Spyder rear bumper cover (goes over the stock one with a couple of screws). I also added the smoked LED tailights. Those are three great mods that can be done for well under $1K.

Thanks for your comment perfect lap, would love to see pictures of what you are doing
Old 07-08-2013, 04:18 PM   #14

I need to get my photo sharing account up again. The size limit for attachments here is too low.

By the way, you should consider the Forgestar F14 wheels. They are as light as the 18" factory Carreras, (important if you don't want your car to go slower with a harsher ride), actually come in 18" (giving you more tire tire choices at better prices) and I've seen them sell for under $1400. They come in gun metal just like my repainted Carreras.

so these wheels (gun metal) with my PORSCHE decal stripes (below) would look great on your car.
Just skip my replica 997 Turbo wheels, a.k.a. 30Lb. boat anchors I only use in winter.

997 Turbo Replica wheels (too heavy)

Here's the Boxster Spyder bumper cover for the 986

easy installation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekH2ZPBN9N4

smoke LED tail lights
http://www.speedstersource.com/WEB/PRODUCT/TL_POR_BOX_97_DP_LED_RS_E.JPG

Last edited by Perfectlap; 07-08-2013 at 04:41 PM.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:50 PM   #15

Garage
You need a set of Champion RS98, one piece forged wheels ! 19lbs for the rears 17.5lbs for the fronts !
Attached Images

Old 07-08-2013, 05:57 PM   #16

Garage
808s are a favorite of mine. The silver ones are just stunning!
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:22 PM   #17

Perfectlap, what rims do you normally run?
Old 07-08-2013, 07:18 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
You need a set of Champion RS98, one piece forged wheels ! 19lbs for the rears 17.5lbs for the fronts !
^What he said. There is no substitute for forged, sub 20 lb. wheels! Anyone have $5,000 to help a brother out?

Heli guy,
winter: 997 Turbo replicas (heavy)
rest of year: 996 Carrera (light).
I also have 17" OEMs that I will use for Autox/DEs, more rubber.

word of caution about cheap wheels (like my replicas). These are heavy thus they can crack easily over rough roads.
Most vendors only sell Porsche replica wheels in sets of four and will not break up a set if you need just one. If they do they will charge full price which is about half the price you paid for all four. Sure you can try welding but if the wheel cracks again and the tire goes down (side wall shredding) you're buying a new tire which can easily cost as much as the wheel. Or multiply times four if the tire has been discontinued....
So you ended up buying all four replicas, plus an expensive replacement and another new tire. $1,300 down the hole and you still have to re-weld that cracked replica wheel a second time. Moral of the story consider forged or make sure your pressure cast wheel can be replaced on a per wheel basis. and if its neither forged nor pressure cast its probably way over-priced (unless free or bought used)... it WILL dent or crack eventually, the higher the weight the sooner this will occur on bad roads.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 07-08-2013 at 07:26 PM.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:23 PM   #19

now im really confused hehehe!

@perfectlap - thanks for showing the forgestar f14 its now option 1 for me. Are 18" better for the 986? my fear of 19" is the driveability of the car to suffer because the wheels are too big that rubs everywhere in sprited driving; nor don't want to drop the suspension so it will look proper

What will be a good offset that clears everything (wheel, struts etc) for an 18 x 8.5 Front and 18 x 10 Rear (10" are the only available for deep concave)

sorry for asking too much. its because i will have no chance to try it because i will just order online. The 808 and Forgestar F14 are very similar looking eh?

@JD - that champion rs98 is very very nice.. though the price ($5000?) made it unatrractive for my wallet
Old 07-08-2013, 11:10 PM   #20
San Diego Boxster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedrof View Post
Hi doc

Yeah i remember! In fact i pm'd you for the specs of your wicked wheels!

Is it clearing the fender and struts? Even in very fast cornering? Wouldn't want the boxsters driveability suffer because of the wheels.

Would anybody know if the gt3 wheels will fit the box? Theyre 18x8.5 and 18x10 the problem is i dont know the offsets for the narrow body ones.
These 19" wheels have no issues with rubbing. And my canr is lowered 1" with Eibach springs.

1998 Black Boxster (owned since 2001)
drbodzin is offline   Reply With Quote