Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2013, 09:45 AM   #1

Southern owners that have kept their car outside

For those that live in the south/southwest that have kept their car outside during the brutal sun and hot summers - how has it held up (interior, top, paint)?

I'm entertaining the idea of keeping the Boxster in the garage for the next 2 months as it sits outside all day at work and just completely bakes in this Texas summer of 100 degrees +. I use a window shade and keep a window cracked - but it sits in the sun from 8 am to 5 p.m. 5 days a week (garaged at home). I have an extra car (loaded Mazda 6) that I'm not sure what to do with - maybe sell. But if I can extend the cosmetic life of the Boxster (and it's currently in nearly mint condition) by keeping it out of the heat/sun - why not. I do have the intention of keeping it for a very long time.

http://imgur.com/a/k0Wtl - My 914-6 Build/Project Story
patssle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:53 AM   #2

My Guards Red sits outside in the Florida sun all summer, as of course, the wife's car gets the garage. The leather interior holds up with a sun shield, and have never seen a cracked dash on a Boxster, unlike my 928. Of course, the paint is a little faded; but really, it does not effect the performance. Remember, Ferdinand Porsche once said “These cars are meant to be driven, not polished.”
Old 06-30-2013, 10:48 AM   #3

don't fool yourself- the sun damages everything including the obvious like paint and roof material as well as every piece of trim and even tires! If you care for it, protect it. These are the things that separate the 'nice' cars from the 'as new'- our eyes pick up details that we aren't even conscious of!
Old 06-30-2013, 10:58 AM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict

A car cover is your friend. 100% preventive damage from direct sun. Leave the windows 1/3 open underneath. A bit of a PITA (on/off) but everything in life seems to be a trade off.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 06-30-2013 at 11:00 AM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:04 AM   #5

Totally agree as my 2000 Box S hates to fry its Arctic Silver in the hot Arkansas sun.Trying to keep it garaged as much as possible.I use the sun shade in the windscreen and I need to put a good coat of high quality carnauba wax on the paint and plastic headlight covers.I think we need to keep all of the rubber trim coated in a high quality protecter.There is a thread somewhere about preserving the rubber trim/seals.Summer is too long in the South!
litespeedp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:24 AM   #6
Track rat

Garage
A car cover goes on pretty quick and will indeed preserve your car for a long time. I believe it is a felony in some states to leave a Porsche outside in the weather for an extended period.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
A car cover is your friend. 100% preventive damage from direct sun. Leave the windows 1/3 open underneath. A bit of a PITA (on/off) but everything in life seems to be a trade off.
I do have a car cover - but my car gets dusty even sitting in my garage. I've read it's bad to use a car cover if there's dirt on the car - it will scratch? Washing the car every single week isn't an option. Plus I'm a little terrified of car covers - one on my 914 leaked and the sun baked it to the paint after it got wet. Left some major stains on my hood and trunk (I would have gone insane if the car hadn't needed a paint job anyways).

Quote:
I think we need to keep all of the rubber trim coated in a high quality protecter.There is a thread somewhere about preserving the rubber trim/seals.
I rub some of the same stuff I use on my top on the trim - 303 Aerospace Protectant. Makes everything look great and has the highest SPF UV protection (according to mfg).

http://imgur.com/a/k0Wtl - My 914-6 Build/Project Story

Last edited by patssle; 06-30-2013 at 11:44 AM.
patssle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by litespeedp View Post
Totally agree as my 2000 Box S hates to fry its Arctic Silver in the hot Arkansas sun.Trying to keep it garaged as much as possible.I use the sun shade in the windscreen and I need to put a good coat of high quality carnauba wax on the paint and plastic headlight covers.I think we need to keep all of the rubber trim coated in a high quality protecter.There is a thread somewhere about preserving the rubber trim/seals.Summer is too long in the South!
ye and too short in the north!
Old 06-30-2013, 12:12 PM   #9

Garage
I wouldn't bake the car out in the sun. UV rays take their toll slowly, but surely.
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:01 PM   #10
Damn Yankee

Garage
I'm afraid you're just going to have to get a job that offers covered parking.

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:30 PM   #11

Garage
Living in Georgia there is no way I would keep my 2011 Boxster Spyder outside all day. It stays in my garage and only comes out on weekends. I am fortunate enough to have a three car garage so I of my vehicles can have a place to live. The sun here in Georgia would absolutely fry a car if left in it all day.
DawgFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:28 PM   #12

Garage
Here's an option for when you're parked at work. Car Covers, Car Sun Shades - California PopTop I've got one (came with the car) and always put it on in the morning when I get to the office. I live in central Florida so it's hot. The pop top keeps the interior noticeably cooler than using windshield sun blocks. And it protects the soft top. The only down side is the Tyvek material leaves a few white fibers on the top at the bow. The fibers come off when I clean the top. It takes less than a minute to put on/off.
Atomicblue99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:10 PM   #13

Mine has done pretty well in Georgia, though I have to admit it pains me at times to leave it out - unfortunately I don't have a garage at home. Just like Atomicblue99 mentioned I use a California Pop Top more often than not (again - it leaves some white fibers on the canvas, but that's better than constant sun/water exposure and comes off during cleanings), and I'm in the market for a better car cover. Preferably one that is machine-washable because otherwise it's just impossible to maintain the cover for a long period.

You just need to make sure you keep the car waxed and the top clean & protected. I use this stuff for the top:

Amazon.com: 303 Products 30520 Convertible Fabric Top Cleaning and Care Kit: Automotive

In my experience it works better than RaggTopp, and I paint most of the protectant on with a large brush. If you plan on having your Boxster for a while and it stays outside a lot you might as well buy the protectant in the gallon-sized container.
2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:00 PM   #14

if you have the space one of these car shelters a nice option. No touching the paint.

car shelter

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:24 PM   #15

The only way to keep any car nice is to have another vehicle as your DD. Keep the Mazda - it will be worth it in the long run.

986S
991S
Van Diemen RF97
LAP1DOUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:25 PM   #16

New Mexico USA is maybe about as bad as it gets--low latitude and high altitude--and UV damage is bad here. This is big time skin cancer country. I've just purchased my 2001 and it shows plenty of sun damage from its prior life in Denver. Granite grey upholstery and top pretty bad as is confusingly the third brake light lens. Rain forest green paint did well. Have garage, but my motorcycles are getting crowded.
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:58 PM   #17

Here in Phoenix we know what hot is. Parking a car in summer outside in full sun is brutal on the car and you when you get in it. When my S is not in the garage I seek any shade I can find for her. Shade is worth more then gold in summer. When I look for a job one of my considerations is if covered parking is offered. I am not kidding.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:23 AM   #18

Garage
Years ago I bought a Z3 from Tampa. It was completely sun-fried from the Florida sun. Then I bought another from Kansas City that had been in the garage during bad weather all it's life. The KC one was in 10x better condition. My '00S Boxster came from Wichita and was also stored inside all it's life. I won't buy a car from the "sun belt" again.
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:37 AM   #19

^ I'm not sure I would agree with that conclusion. Paint and plastic can be repaired. I'd rather have an m96 engine that was driven frequently, year round. Cars that sit all winter in park make me wonder if the owner was diligent about putting in some fresh oil before hibernation, among other habits. These may look spotless on the outside but inside....tick, tick, tick.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:02 AM   #20

Garage
Yeah…I see what you're saying. Here it's 5 deg. today and could be 70 deg. tomorrow. Really crazy. The weather accounts for approx. 15 min. or half of our local news every day. I drove mine last weekend because it was in the 60s. Today it may snow. It's still been my experience that the midwest cars that are stored inside always seem to be 2nd or 3rd cars and in very good condition.

SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote