Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2013, 09:32 PM   #1

Central Locking System Problem

I know this is a common problem however I'm hoping someone might shed some light. I haven't been able to find a forum with my exact symptoms:

I've been driving the car all spring (1999 Boxster Base model) with no issues. The car is parked in the garage all the time and the floor under the drivers seat is always dry. As a side note the batteries in the keyless entry keys were dead when I bought the car and I've never replaced them and always use the valet key.
The other morning I went out to start the car and when I unlocked the drivers door (manually with the valet key) the lights didn't come on in the interior and the sound of the locking system unlocking didn't happen (usually when you unlock the drivers door the passenger door unlocks, the odometer lights up and the truck/hood unlocks. None of these things happened and the red light on the radio continued flashing. I got in the car and turned the key in the ignition. When I turned it to "ON" the instrument cluster lit up but when I turned it to start nothing happened. The engine didn't turn over.
I don't believe this is an ignition problem. I believe the Central Locking System is in "LOCK" mode which in turn is immobilizing the car. Is there a way to reset the Central Locking System? I have tryed using all my keys (2 regular and 1 valet) with the same results. I also changed the batterys in the other keys and attempted to link them (turning the keys in door while holding the unlock button) the CLS still won't deactivate. I believe because the system is locked its not allowing me to link my old keys.
I understand there are fuses in the area of the CLS. I haven't taken the seat out yet.... where is it? I also am wondering if the switch in the drivers door that recognizes that you've unlocked the car may not be working and thats the source of my problem.
Any suggestions from anyone that has had the same issue?

hosickjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 05:11 AM   #2

First thing, check battery power. If you don't have a good 12.4+volts, many things won't work.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:41 AM   #3

Already done. Battery is fully charged
Old 06-15-2013, 11:29 AM   #4

If you can't re-synch the keys, then it looks like you have two options. If you have a durametric cable, look at the fault codes to see if you can pinpoint the root cause of the problem. If not, you may need to tow the car to the dealer and have the dealer use its Porsche diagnostic computer to figure out what's going on. If there is any good news, there are third parties who can repair ECUs and immobilizers if one or both are the problem.

BTW: I not 100% certain, but I don't think you can reset the CLS without using a Porsche computer and having various programming codes. If one could easily reset the CLS, then it would be much of a theft deterent. A dealer should be able to get the necessary codes from the VIN.

Last edited by thom4782; 06-15-2013 at 11:34 AM.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 02:05 PM   #5

I wasn't aware there were companies that fixed the Drive Box. Can someone post a link to one or more of these companies? If you have your Drive Box repaired do they keep your key codes or reprogram your existing key codes so you don't then have to take it to the dealer?
Towing the car to the dealer is the last resort as it is a 2 hour tow to the closest Porsche Dealer.
Is anyone aware of an Indy in Kingston Ontario that can program a Drive box or is good with Boxsters?
Old 06-15-2013, 04:02 PM   #6

Given your two hour distance from a dealer, the dealer might be kind and be willing to share any necessary programming codes with a local independent.

Hopefully someone in your area can give you the name of a good local independent shop. Where I live, there are several independents who can reprogram cars and the dealer have been willing to share codes.

The one ECU / immoblizer repair shop I am aware of is at: Select the ECU DME, Immobilizer Removal, or ECU Performance Upgrade that fits your Porsche Boxster from 1997 - 1999 - Specialized ECU Repair. Several forum members have used them and said good things about the service. Try giving them a call and describe your problem. They might be willing to suggest what is causing the problem might be and some things you can try. IIRC, they sell refurbished ECU and immobilizers and repair them too.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:18 PM   #7
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
What happens when you push the lock/unlock button on the center console?
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 01:45 PM   #8

Door locking system on Dashboard

Hi Al I have a 1999 with low miles i decided to buy a key remote and hook it up , removed the drivers seat and was able to find all the wires i needed to get it to work , after fooling with it for an hour not able to get the doors to lock or unlock i remembered the switch didnt work on the dash , my question is dose anyone know what fuse to check , ? I remember it did work at one time , I hope someone has had this problem before

guy10596 is offline   Reply With Quote