Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

View Poll Results: Do you park in gear?
Yes I park in gear 53 75.71%
No I only use the e-brake 17 24.29%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2013, 05:50 PM   #21

Garage
I park in gear, And only really use the e-brake if the engine is running and setting. Say warming up in the driveway or garage

* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:54 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssexPorsche View Post
Guys,
If you park in gear assuming its a forward gear, and some body hits the car from the front whilst parked, its not just body work you will be replacing....its tranny as well. Parking brakes have been around for a very very long time. Thats what they are for.
That's just way too theoretical for me. Been parkin' in gear for nearly 40 years now, never once been so much as tapped by another vehicle in all that time. B'sides, the Box is now 12 years old...somebody smacks it hard enough to damage the tranny, damage to the bodywork alone will be enough to total the car!
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:39 PM   #23

Im going to be honest with you guys my hand brake is broken/ I have to tighten it or replace cable if it is stretched. But regardless I still park in gear always have and I still put up the hand brake. My friends have asked me why I use the hand brake if it doesn't work, I just do it out of reflex.

Last edited by Bmod986; 11-14-2013 at 09:41 PM.
Bmod986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:53 PM   #24
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I use the parking brake for parking...no explanation needed

Seriously, though. Parking brakes were made for that and have never failed me. Parking in gear seems odd to me, but I do also crank the wheel toward the curb just in case the parking brake has a failure.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:01 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by san rensho View Post
Parking brakes are worthless, unless you are into drifting, to use it to get the rear end to slide going into a corner.

You will never be able to use it an an emergency to slow the car down significantly. Just don't use it.
That's why they are not called Emergency brakes anymore.. they are Parking brakes
Old 11-15-2013, 12:05 AM   #26

Just answering the question here and not saying it is right or wrong, but I have been parking in gear for 24 years.

What I notice more with mechanics/body shops/dealer cars that they leave the gear in and the parking brake off all the time.
06 Maserati Quattroporte (Family hauler)
08 Corvette Z06 (Track car)
986_c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 02:55 AM   #27

I have always owned cars with manual transmissions and back in the day would only use the parking brake. Then I owned an '86 Chev Celebrity with a 4 speed manual that had a nasty habit of rolling away when parked. Took it to the dealer several times and they could never get the parking brake to hold by itself. I have been leaving my cars in gear, along with the parking brake ever since.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:20 AM   #28
I am my own mechanic....

Dad always drove a stick. Always.

Taught me to put it in gear. 2nd. Always have. I've had 2 friends with vehicles that rolled back on small inclines. One was slowly making a get away maybe 200' down the drive and into the road. Someone knocked on his door.

BUT, this is my (and my or my wife's entire family) first Porsche so I'm open to learning.

Timco is offline   Reply With Quote