Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2013, 01:17 PM   #1

Garage
ordering a durametric

Getting ready to break down and order a durametric. Since I already have 3 porsches and will probably be replacing or buying more in the future I am getting the pro model. What are some of the adjustments, changes that it will be helpful for other than the obvious diagnostic chores that I may need it for? Any info will be helpful as I have never even seen one in use.

mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:03 PM   #2

Garage
Hi there,
You won't need to do any changes to your cars if I'm understanding your question.
I have the Enthusiast version so I cannot speak to how the Pro version is different, but it does have a lot more capability.
I hope this helps a bit.
Bryan topping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:39 PM   #3

Garage
Another thing to consider... I haven't checked the cost of the pro version recently, but at one point, at least, it was cheaper to buy TWO enthusiast versions than 1 pro version.
pharaohjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:01 PM   #4
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durametric.com
Differences
There are two main differences between the Enthusiast and Professional Kits:

The number of cars supported:
The Professional kits support an unlimited number of cars. The Enthusiast kits support up to three cars only. The limitation of the Enthusiast kit is based on the car's VIN - not model.

The Coding and Command Console features:
Beginning with Durametric version 6, Durametric supports the Coding and Command Console features. These features are included with the Professional kits only.
The Coding feature provides for the ability to enable or disable predefined features in the car such as airbags, daytime running lights, cruise control, and the rear spoiler where applicable.
The Command Console feature is a means of communicating with the control units using very low-level communications. This feature is very seldom used.
Hope this helps. I have the enthusiast version, and oftentimes wish that the Durametric was more useful in the way the VCDS (nee VAG-Com) is for Volkswagen/Audi products.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:22 PM   #5

I'm also contemplating buying a durametric. For those that have one, does it tell you what parts to replace/tweak if there is a fault code or does it just point you in the right direction?
Sanford_yee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:25 PM   #6

A durametric gives you lots more information than a OCDB reader. While it doesn't tell you exactly what part(s) to replace, it narrows down the possibilities a whole lot in many cases. If it allowed you to actuate more individual components, for example in the central locking system, it would be even better. Even with this wish for more functionality, a durametric is well worth the money. In fact, it pays for itself if it saves you a couple of hours paying a dealer to diagnose a problem.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:02 AM   #7

Garage
Got the durametric pro version in Now I just have to learn how to access everything with it. Looks to have a lot of potential that I am not aware of yet. So far I have used it to bleed the ABS system on my 08 and to turn on the OBC on my neighbors 04. Does anyone know of any good online tutorials on use of the durametric?
Old 05-02-2013, 11:40 AM   #8

Garage
Going to slightly hi-jack this thread

Is there anything that the PST2 can do that the Duramatic enthusiast cannot? Everything I've ever been able to find says that the Duramatic can do "almost everything" the PST2 can do, but no one seems to say what "almost everything" means.
desert_porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
Getting ready to break down and order a durametric. Since I already have 3 porsches and will probably be replacing or buying more in the future I am getting the pro model. What are some of the adjustments, changes that it will be helpful for other than the obvious diagnostic chores that I may need it for? Any info will be helpful as I have never even seen one in use.
I have one and it is one of those things that you can use to help diagnose a problem.

There is no real magic there, and it does not tell you how to fix things but rather gives the status and readings on things.

What I find is missing is that when you look at a reading, knowing if it is within specs, or not. Without this knowledge many of the reading are nearly worthless.

The machine gives you lots of data, but the real trick is knowing how to interpret the data, and sadly that is what is lacking.

In my opinion a device such as this would actually be worth the money if it also had the database showing what the allowable specs are for every reading.

You have to do that research yourself to evaluate what is going on.

Anyone know where I can find the specs for such readings for the 2001 Boxster S?

However, it is still useful as a number of the readings are obvious such as temps, on,off, sensor malfunctions, voltages, etc. I'd say about 50% of the reading types are self evident.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
Anyone know where I can find the specs for such readings for the 2001 Boxster S?
Keep your eyes open for one of the Porsche 986 OBD II Diagnostics Manuals (the OEM grey covered three ring binder, not an aftermarket book). They originally sold for about $1,800 but can be found for about $200-300 now, and have decision trees and value limits for each code.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert_porsche View Post

Is there anything that the PST2 can do that the Duramatic enthusiast cannot? Everything I've ever been able to find says that the Duramatic can do "almost everything" the PST2 can do, but no one seems to say what "almost everything" means.
The Enthusiast cannot "code" or change settings like turning the OBC on and off, it lacks the lower level command language capabilities, and cannot update any DME programming. The Pro can do everything but reprogram the DME.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanford_yee View Post
I'm also contemplating buying a durametric. For those that have one, does it tell you what parts to replace/tweak if there is a fault code or does it just point you in the right direction?
All diagnostic tools are like a compass, they point you in the right direction; but they do not work like a GPS which tells you exactly how to get there; that requires some diagnostics understanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
What I find is missing is that when you look at a reading, knowing if it is within specs, or not. Without this knowledge many of the reading are nearly worthless.

The machine gives you lots of data, but the real trick is knowing how to interpret the data, and sadly that is what is lacking.

In my opinion a device such as this would actually be worth the money if it also had the database showing what the allowable specs are for every reading.
Even the almighty $20K per year PIWIS does not do this, you still need to look up things to understand what it is telling you. Basically, what you have is a situation much like the difference between a "rod burner" and a welder; both own the same tools, one just understands how to use them.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:20 PM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
The Enthusiast cannot "code" or change settings like turning the OBC on and off, it lacks the lower level command language capabilities, and cannot update any DME programming. The Pro can do everything but reprogram the DME.
The current Enthusiast version is capable of activating the OBC.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert_porsche View Post

Well, one thing I know the PST2 can do that the Duramatic can't is program keys. That and DME reprogramming. I have one, but really only use it for diagnostics and basic functionality. I'd don't want to turn my Boxster into a "huge" paperweight by accident.

Although, I'm not sure where one would obtain the raw flash (like a ROW flash for a cat delete for example) anyway.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:28 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjc2050 View Post
The current Enthusiast version is capable of activating the OBC.
I was under the impression they discontinued that with the version 6 software, but as I have not tried the version 6 Enthusiast, I will take your word for it.

OK, checked with Durametric, you are correct. It is, however, one of the few examples of coding that the Enthusiast version is capable of, while the Pro version has a laundry list of coding ability.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 05-02-2013 at 01:47 PM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:52 PM   #16

Garage
Quote:
It is, however, one of the few examples of coding that the Enthusiast version is capable of, while the Pro version has a laundry list of coding ability.
How would the average owner utilize the coding abilities of the Pro version? I'm curious.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:28 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjc2050 View Post
How would the average owner utilize the coding abilities of the Pro version? I'm curious.
I don't think they would pay much attention to it; the later cars have more coding opportunities than the early ones, and some of the coding is very low key (for example, on the early 986's, you can set the door locks to lock automatically at 5 MPH). On the later cars you can adjust the ride height settings and how they activate on vehicles so equipped, play with how the memory seats work and so on. One of the biggest problems is that there is almost no reference information, even from Porsche, as to what is possible. A lot of coding capabilities are kind of "stumbled upon" while using the system, or read about when someone else finds it. Almost an "Easter Egg Hunt" kind of thing. Most shops have developed a list of what can be changed and by how much on their own. I think the real reason they took most of it out of the enthusiast version was that people were getting into trouble and not being able to get back to where they started.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:54 PM   #18

Garage
Quote:
I don't think they would pay much attention to it; the later cars have more coding opportunities than the early ones, and some of the coding is very low key (for example, on the early 986's, you can set the door locks to lock automatically at 5 MPH). On the later cars you can adjust the ride height settings and how they activate on vehicles so equipped, play with how the memory seats work and so on. One of the biggest problems is that there is almost no reference information, even from Porsche, as to what is possible. A lot of coding capabilities are kind of "stumbled upon" while using the system, or read about when someone else finds it. Almost an "Easter Egg Hunt" kind of thing. Most shops have developed a list of what can be changed and by how much on their own. I think the real reason they took most of it out of the enthusiast version was that people were getting into trouble and not being able to get back to where they started.
Thanks; helpful info.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:59 PM   #19

Quote:
Keep your eyes open for one of the Porsche 986 OBD II Diagnostics Manuals (the OEM grey covered three ring binder, not an aftermarket book). They originally sold for about $1,800 but can be found for about $200-300 now, and have decision trees and value limits for each code.
Good tip, I'll keep my eyes open for one. Thanks,
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:37 AM   #20

Garage
Have been playing with the durametric (very carefully so as not to screw up anything) and am finding that there are a lot of possible coding changes there in the later models, but not so many obvious for the 986's. Still hoping to find more info on some of the possibilities and procedures somewhere on the net.