Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2017, 12:15 PM   #41
2007 Cayman S

IMS Situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck W. View Post
Sorry... No one can help you. As mentioned in this thread, the only way to determine which IMS you have is to drop the transmission and look at the cover.

If this is an issue now to you don't buy the car. If you do, it will haunt you. Or, if you do buy it plan on spending another $2,500ish to have it updated with one of the after market units out there.

There are many of us that just don't care. I may have mine replaced when I do the clutch.

My hat is off to you... you obviously used the search feature to find this older post. Keep looking and reading and you should be thoroughly confused when finished.

Good luck.
Hi Chuck - in reading your many helpful posts on this forum, I have learned to respect your comments very much. You are a true enthusiast. I recall from when you were trying to sell your car, that you have a truly beautiful Boxster - actually a special Boxster in my opinion. So, its with all due respect that I am compelled to comment, about how you "don't care" about the IMS issue - a comment/theme that you have stated many times. The fact that you mention it means you care and its on your mind. You even allow for possibly repairing it when you do a clutch. My point is that I suspect that you will care a lot if your engine ceases up on you tomorrow. Maybe it will, maybe it won't. But for $2500 bucks, why would you risk it? I'll never understand..... Your comments are well respected - and I hope that your "don't care" comments do not mislead someone who really should care. Unfortunately, Porsche made a mistake and has tacitly admitted as much. If we value Porsche as a world class car manufacturer, we should take their lead. Because, however reluctantly, Porsche has spent a lot of money on this IMS issue. I know: we all are entitled to our opinions. But, a good debate is fun too! With all due respect....

Old 09-02-2017, 06:53 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by por356c View Post
I know: we all are entitled to our opinions. But, a good debate is fun too! With all due respect....
All great points.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 08:04 AM   #43

There are dozens of other problematic parts on the car. Just read this Forum for a long List.
The point is the time,cost,effort,frustration,complexity ,access problems on that List are justified when the car is running well. IMSB is just a part of the whole Boxster/996 story and once fixed it is eliminated from the List.Worrying doesn't fix the List.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 08:34 AM   #44

My 04 986S is not listed in that list of VIN numbers.
Mine has Z4U in the middle
Lanark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 08:59 AM   #45

Jake now speaks in a video he did for PCA of a borescope method of determining the type of IMS bearing assembly a car has and he seems to imply that it is another approach besides the traditional remove the transmission way. Any details on how that is done? It would eliminate a lot of the guessing.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 09:23 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanark View Post
My 04 986S is not listed in that list of VIN numbers.
Mine has Z4U in the middle
VIN numbers have repeatedly proven useless in determining what style of IMS bearing is in a given engine. If your 04 has its original engine, it is the single row style.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:26 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
Jake now speaks in a video he did for PCA of a borescope method of determining the type of IMS bearing assembly a car has and he seems to imply that it is another approach besides the traditional remove the transmission way. Any details on how that is done? It would eliminate a lot of the guessing.
It would require an extremely small diameter, self illuminating bore scope to get between the flywheel and engine case, which also means the tool will be hyper expensive...............