Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

View Poll Results: How do you drive your vehicle on a day to day basis?
Super aggressive. Redline at every stoplight, tires squealing every corner. 0 0%
Aggressive. Kill every corner that's green. Drive past speed limit. 31 54.39%
Conservative. Mostly obey speed limit. Corner hard once in a while. 26 45.61%
Old-man conservative. Always obey speed limit. Let people enjoy the view of your car. 0 0%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2013, 09:26 AM   #21

^ Everytime I think of guys street racing I think of these two

Two Turkeys on Thanksgiving Wrecking their Corvettes in The Woodlands - YouTube

The thing people don't understand about high performance driving is how much of it involves trusting/depending/knowing/anticipating the people who you are racing with. In a club you get to know the other drivers and their limits. On the street, you don't know if they just pop'd some ecstasy pills, smoked a giant bone and downed a 40 ounce of Colt 45... and that's probably when they do their best thinking/driving.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:51 AM   #22
Track rat

Garage
These guys have a pretty active performance driving program. Check em out.
Arizona Region Porsche Club of America - Event Browse

Get a good instructor in your car and he will show you when to push it, and when to reel it in. Techniques that can make you a much more skilled driver and potentially save your life.

To answer your question directly... how do I drive? That depends:

Around town with drivers texting their girlfriends, on cel phones, kids and dogs nearby- like an old lady, 2/10ths
Highway onramps- 8/10ths
Mountain canyons with no other cars or traffic- 6/10ths-7/10ths
Practice sessions on a racetrack- 8/10ths
Timed runs for the money lap- All in baby! 10/10ths

Last edited by Topless; 03-29-2013 at 02:31 PM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:07 PM   #23

Garage
I don't fit in your categories Not aggressive but always +5 local and +9 highway. I love winding roads but don't go after them anywhere close to what I would on a track.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:33 PM   #24
Certified Boxster Addict

Anyone can do a DE with a stock car in decent condition. Your first DE has nothing to do with speed or time or max g's so you don't need new tires, special brake pads, new sway bars, or 5-pt harnesses.

All of that will come later as you learn the driving skills unique to pushing your car to the max. Everyone thinks that they know how to go fast until they get on a track and then realize how little they really know.

Understand its not that you aren't willing to push hard (because I am sure that you are!) but its that you've never really been taught how to drive fast. Honestly, how times have you had someone demonstrate and teach you how to drive fast? For most of us, never. All we're ever told is to "slow down"! So we try to pick up what we can and just see what works.

A good HPDE is exactly what it says: HIGH PERFORMANCE DRIVER EDUCATION. This is where you will be TAUGHT how to drive fast. Instead of having your girlfriend or wife sitting next to you asking you to slow down, you'll have an instructor sitting next to you telling you HOW to go fast! This alone is worth the price of admission. You'll learn about car control, balance, oversteer, understeer, braking, and cornering techniques - all things that you've never been taught before.

Then you can take your willingness to push hard and combine it with the skilled driving techniques that you have been taught and really go fast. And then you'll realize that the only place to do this is on a racetrack because your driving skills are beyond any edge that could be sanely reached on the street.

Then you'll spend all of your money going to the track like I do. You're welcome.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 03-29-2013 at 01:40 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:01 PM   #25

I went with option 2. I would describe my driving a spirited (though the judge never seems to see it that way). I'm not overly concerned with the posted limit but more focused on having plenty in the way of margins so that I have options when the unexpected happens (riding a motorcycle off and on for years will brand this into your psyche). I belive that there is a time and place for "fun driving on the street" but you must choose your venue wisely and know your personal limitations and those of your vehicle. I'm 38 and have not had an "at fault" accident in 20 years, so I must be doing ok. That being said, I've done a lot of stupid things to gain whatever knowledge I have today. I've been lucky for sure. I taught myself to heal and toe when I was in my teens. I was lucky to not actually own any moderately fast cars until my late 20s.

At the end of the day you have to know your limitations. Driving like you've got a hot poker up your ass will get you in trouble one way or another.

Public roads are full of horrible drivers; ill use any means necessary to avoid them, but I prefer the throttle!

Last edited by shadrach74; 03-29-2013 at 03:11 PM.
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:06 PM   #26

Garage
I'll have to agree with others on the forum, once you go on the track, you don't go back. I drive conservatively on the street. The track is a different story, but a whole n'other world.

Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote