Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2013, 08:15 AM   #1

02 Boxster or 01 Boxster S

Hello everyone! I am in the search of finding my Boxster and I am completely confused as to which would be a better deal. Both have the same price

1) 2002 Boxster 2.7 with 53000 Miles
2) 2001 Boxster S 3.2 with 80000 Miles

Both have good service records, and a 3 month warranty for the dealers but not sure which would be a better deal.

I would appreciate any advice and I know every car is different but I would like to know if you were in my shoes which would you go for and why.

Thanks everyone ! :-)

kris07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:33 AM   #2

Garage
Tough call! Did you drive them both, and if so, did one speak to you? Additionally, does one seem a bit more cared for than the other?

If you would be happy with the performance of the 2.7 with fewer miles and a year newer, then I'd lean towards the 2.7. Other than the obvious differences between an S and a baseline, there shouldn't be many differences between 2001 and 2002. IIRC, an in-dash cup holder was a first in 2002, not that that would make-or-break the deal.
darknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:37 AM   #3

S S S S S S S S S S S S!!!!!!

To this day I am still mad at myself for not getting a S. Now I am very performance hungry so if you like to cruise around then go lower miles. if you feel the need for speed....... S
Old 04-15-2013, 08:43 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccstud17 View Post
S S S S S S S S S S S S!!!!!!

To this day I am still mad at myself for not getting a S. Now I am very performance hungry so if you like to cruise around then go lower miles. if you feel the need for speed....... S
Agreed. I'm trying to be impartial as I realize there are a lot of satisfied drives that own the base model. There is no shame in that!

A bit of reading for you as you contemplate the difference Buying a Boxster

If you haven't found exactly what you are searching for, then keep looking! Shopping is just as much fun as owning
darknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:48 AM   #5
recycledsixtie

Garage
I intentionally did not try an S as I felt the 2001 Boxster base had sufficient power and slightly better fuel consumption. Mine had 30k on it 2 years ago when I bought it so the components like water pump, coolant reservoir, etc had less miles on them.
As the above poster says try both. Make sure the one you want has the options u want like manual vs. tiptronic, heated seats, psm etc. Of course you should try several and for sure get a PPI on it before you commit. Enjoy the ride.
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:48 AM   #6

I havent got a full test drive yet on both cars, that will be tomorrow but lots of 20-30MPH roads and top speed on motorways are 70mph here :-(

Unless I decide to take them out to Germany; to the Autobahn... :-)

I am trying to be as cold as possible but I am sure I am just not going to be level headed with the test drive tomorrow. All I ever am going to be is excited, so I doubt its going to help. I will probably come out none the wiser from both drives.

Just looking at the figures alone; what would be sound judgement? I know it sounds like a egg or chicken question, but I bet its a lot of fun for you guys who already own a boxster and know the pros/cons.

Thanks for the replies guys.. its metallic blue (both) and tan interior.. loving the combination and.. each time I think of inclining towards the S, I get worried about the problems that could creep up due to mileage.

Both are manual transmission.

Last edited by kris07; 04-15-2013 at 08:54 AM. Reason: more information
Old 04-15-2013, 09:05 AM   #7

Both cars are fairly old in terms of years and will need to be maintained regardless of miles. Has the Base Boxster had its 60K service? Do either have an updated IMSB? Brake Pads, Clutch? brake fluid, how old are the tires. I recently replaced my front tires for the first time since owning the car. I was using the originals for a while.

Do either have any leaks, is there condensation on the trunk near the coolant cap, any white smoke after driving for half an hour, does the car make any noise at start up? I just spent $4500 doing preventative maintenance on my 2002 base boxster with 47K miles. If you are buying such an old boxster you will have to do maintainence. Make sure you get a good price.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:09 AM   #8
recycledsixtie

Garage
Good questions. For instance if you drive an MX5 Miata you get more time at the upper end of the revs. Compare the Box base vs. the Box s with the s it is harder to get revs up with high speed because of speed limits. That is one reason I like the Box base as I am less likely to get a speeding ticket than with an s.

30K more miles for the s puts u closer to clutch replacement. Of course ask for receipts for work done. It shows how well the car has been looked after . Has the clutch/ ims/rms been replaced already? Don't rush into this decision. It is a buyers' market here although I don't know about the UK. Let us know what you decide.
Read all you can on these forums about the Boxster. Try also Pelican Parts forum /Boxster, Rennlist forums/Boxster , Pedros etc.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:26 AM   #9

Ckrikos: Thanks for the advice, I have been reading up as much as possible. I am building a check-list now for tomorrow based on points from the forum.

The price on both models are approx USD$10,500.

recycledsixtie: Thanks for the advice, I was very concerned about the IMS issue and thats going on top of my list.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:58 AM   #10
recycledsixtie

Garage
I have sent u a private message
Old 04-15-2013, 11:21 AM   #11

Get the S!!!!! Nobody buys a Porsche for fuel economy. There is no such thing as sufficient power... in a few months you'll want more.
fusionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:37 AM   #12

If I were to do it all over again..I would buy an S. I love my base 2.5 dont get me wrong but..always longing for a little more umph and a 6sp gear box would be great
58ceramicgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:08 PM   #13

Garage
If I could do it again, I'd get the S as well. Spent many months looking for a black Boxster but only found one in a base model.
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:17 PM   #14

+1 on the "S" as well as long as there are no existing issues. I have a base and as others of said you'll be very happy with it, but after the "Newness" wears off, you'll start to think about the "What if's" about the "S". I know I did.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:20 PM   #15

:-(

Just got news from the dealer that the S was gone.

I was inclining towards the S model, it was also in my favourite combination, but oh well..

This narrows it down to the base model 2002, 2.7 with 53000 miles.

I either wait it off or get this as my entry Porsche and when I do find the S model in the combination I like, do a part exchange etc..
Old 04-15-2013, 12:27 PM   #16

Sorry to hear....but trust us that "S" or no "S" you will LOVE the Box regardless!!! Good luck with your purchase!!!
Old 04-15-2013, 12:30 PM   #17

kris, that is a fairly significant difference in mileage - depending upon how you plan on using it, I would think it would be another couple or more years of driving before the base hits the mileage of the S. That being said, the S is a 2001 and may have the dual-row bearings (check the engine serial numbers that are listed elsewhere, even though they are not full-proof after the early 2000's). That would certainly be a factor in favour of the S, even though it has higher mileage. Remember, even with an LN upgraded bearing (or the solution, which is for single-row bearings), you can only replace a single row with a single row. Remember also that the failure rate on the double rows is less than 1% (even though the double-row equipeed cars are older) as opposed to 8-10% for the single rows.

Not sure of the options (or even standard equipment) on the British cars, but if the base is equipped with the optional 17 inch turbo twist rims and tires (equivalent to the S), the handling will be very close - turn in as not quite as precise, but also without quite as harsh a ride. Acceleration/top speed with be noticeably better with the S, however many (including me) find the base to be more than adequate (and more than enough to get me into trouble). Certainly it is a significant improvement (especially in terms of flexibility) over the 2.5.

As others have said, maintenance records and frequent oil changes are hugely important. I'm betting that the base has had oil changes yearly - and with only 53,000 miles, depending upon delivery date, that would be only about 5,000 miles a year. Much better than Porsche's original recommendation, but in line with what people (inlcuding LN Engineering) are now recommending.

Once you decided which you prefer, get a PPI with an oil change and have the mechanic cut open the oil filter for you to inspect for particles.

Good luck!

Brad
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:35 PM   #18

Sorry Kris, as I was posting my reply you advised that the S was sold. If you really prefer the S, then don't settle for a base. There will be others. Who knows, you may find an early 2000 S with the dual row bearing, lower mileage, oil changes every 5000 miles and with the combination (I assume that means of options, as I gather the colour scheme was the same) that you prefer.

Brad
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:42 PM   #19

Thanks for the advice guys..

I will be looking at another S tomorrow but the mileage on the base model is very attractive. I think it would take another 3-4 years before I get to the mileage of the S and suppose once I am used to actually 'owning' a Porsche, I could go for better S model or maybe even a 911.

30,000 miles difference after the 50K mark is definitely a substantial difference. Its a good 2-3 years of pushing that Porsche. What I understand from the dealer about the 2.7 Porsche was it was weekend/garage car that was very gently used.

To me its good news to hear because I can probably get a lot more out of the Porsche at this rate then one at 80,000 miles.

I guess at some point I will have to draw the line of contention and make a reasonable purchase.

Just one question, was the 2002 fitted with a single/double row bearing?

Thanks I wasn't sure.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:52 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstar View Post
Sorry Kris, as I was posting my reply you advised that the S was sold. If you really prefer the S, then don't settle for a base. There will be others. Who knows, you may find an early 2000 S with the dual row bearing, lower mileage, oil changes every 5000 miles and with the combination (I assume that means of options, as I gather the colour scheme was the same) that you prefer.

Brad
Hi (southernstar) Brad, Thanks for your in-depth reply.

I will give it a few days and if its meant to be, it will be. I am excited and disappointed and confused.. all the emotions you probably have before having to wear that proud Porsche badge.

I guess it must be a sensation that everyone in this forum must have had at some point when they are prepping to be in that 1st Porsche and call it their own.

Looking forward to any advice I can receive and I have to say, kudos to the Admin and everyone on this forum as it seems to be the most comprehensive boxster 'guide' there is on the internet.

Cheers everyone !

Tags
boxster s