Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2013, 01:36 PM   #1

Can't Lock The Boxster

I've got a bit of an oddball issue..... I can't lock my Boxster!

For a bit of background, a few months ago I had to replace my drivers side door latch mechanism. This solved a previous issue where my doors wouldn't unlock. Now I have the complete opposite problem.

Last week I removed my hardtop to carry outs some engine bay work. I went 'topless' for the last week. At the same time, My alarm fob started acting weird. The button that usually locks / unlocks the doors stop doing anything and the button that usually opened the boot, started unlocking the doors - coincidence that it started when switching to soft-top?!

The remote was always pretty week, so I replaced the battery. This increased the range of the remote but I still had the weird button thing happening.

I put the hardtop back on today. Now my remote does nowt.... doesn't lock with either button. I can't even lock it with the key! When I put it (or the spare key) in the lock and turn as if to unlock, it turns the interior light on (so something must be sensing the key) but the door does't attempt to lock or unlock.

I've tried the reconfigure thing where you press the alarm button whilst unlocking the door with the key - no joy. I've tried reversing the polarity of the key battery (suggested on various forums) but again nothing.

The interior central locking button works and locks the doors. Durametric reads no faults and I can trigger the door locks, boot release etc via it.

Has anyone any ideas? As it stands, my car is sitting out on the street unlocked

Glasgow 911SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:19 PM   #2

bump - before my car gets stolen :S
Old 03-25-2013, 02:25 PM   #3

I have two guesses. One, and my best guess, the other door's latching unit is bad causing the central locking system to not operate properlhy. Two, and the cheaper possibility, have you check the central locking fuse in the kick panel. I think it is #8 in row B.

Oh, here's another guess. The key head has failed so the car doesn't recognize key as being the correct one. I doubt this because the key buttons are working albeit incorrectly.

Last edited by thom4782; 03-25-2013 at 02:28 PM.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:28 PM   #4

Hi Thom

Now that's something I hadn't considered - faulty passenger side door mechanism. I don't get a durametric error though but it's worth looking at. Wonder if disconnecting it would bypass any error.

Perhaps I'm over analysing things as again I've not thought about the fuse. Assumed if the interior lock button worked then all was good. I'll be checking 1st thing in the morning.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:38 PM   #5

Oh, forgot to mention. The LED on the key now flashes very fast for quite a while after the button has been pressed. Is this significant? I don't recall this happening before.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:44 PM   #6

I wish I knew more to help further. I take it that you don't have a second key to see if the key is the problem.

It may be worth some money to take the car to a dealer who has Porsche system tool. The dealer should be able to actuate each component of the locking system individually and see which one is broken. IIRC, durametric can only look for codes. My guess is 1/2 labor for a more sophisticated diagnostics. Otherwise, you're just rolling the dice part by part until you get lucky.

And for all I know, it still might be the key electronics, but I tend to discount that theory because the key won't work manually. On the other hand, the fast flashing may point to the key. I just don't know
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:55 AM   #7

Can you lock the doors with the key? My remote also stopped working and I have to hit the unlock button before opening the door or else it keeps the trunks & fuel filler door locked. I think my problem is the passenger side mechanism but I am not positive. for now, I am able to lock the doors with the key.
Taipanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:00 PM   #8

Hi
Sorry, just realised you has replied to my issue.

Unfortunately the key doesn't lock the door either. I can only think it's my newly fitted drivers side mechanism. I've unbolted the unit and tried turning the microswitch manually but no joy. As the dash button works, I can only imagine the microswitch has gone.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:54 AM   #9

Is your arm rest lid closed and "latched". My 03S wouldn't lock as well unless every potential locking door was totally secured.
dbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:30 PM   #10

Hi dbog,
Yep, armrest is all locked up/
Old 04-13-2013, 02:35 PM   #11

My car wouldn't lock either and it was the passenger door lock mechanism.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:39 AM   #12

Well, to quote Sherlock Holmes, when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth. It seems my new door latch mechanism had failed after a month or so. I had checked every other variable and that seemed to be the only option. I therefore emailed the eBay seller who suggested checking the rest of the system. I told him this had been done. No reply though even after a reminder email. I therefore decided to buy another unit from a competitor and hey presto, I can now lock via the key. I've emailed the seller again to let them know but I don't expect a response.

Now I just need to figure out how to get the remote locking back up & running.

Tags
lock key remote alarm