Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 07:02 PM   #1

need a little advice...

thanks guys for all the inputs...

it looks like i have couple of weeks to think and research a bit more before pulling the trigger on this since i will be out of town for work.

im supposed to let the seller know by the end of this month so ill keep things posted here as it happens... hopefully i will get a good deal on it or this will end up leading me to one.

thanks all.

Last edited by krnboy817; 03-14-2013 at 07:33 AM.
krnboy817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:15 PM   #2

Garage
If a 1997-1999 Boxster was a PERFECT concours winner exactly like you wanted, it might be worth $15k to you, but that is not what you are describing.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:25 PM   #3
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Honestly, even with the upgrades and engine swap(which means nothing), $12k would be on the high side.

I paid $10k for my pristine, always garaged, ding free, spotless '99 base with 75k miles 2years ago. I wouldn't expect to get more than $9-10k for it if I sold it now.
The lower miles may justify up to $12k on the one you described, but not more.

As I said, the newer motor means nothing, as most cars come with motors, and the fact the he needed or wanted to drop in a new motor shouldn't cost you a dime.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:41 PM   #4

I paid $7000 for mine last summer in salt lake city. Of course, the asking price was $11 so there was def some pretty serious negotiating to get it down to that price...

Other than the miles and I guess the couple of upgrades, it sounds like our cars are pretty similar. 99 base, blue, etc. My car's body and interior were pretty flawless however so maybe that makes up for the miles a little bit... The only upgrades where a couple month old receipt for $3000 worth of rims and tires. Here's mine the day I brought it home.

sam c. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:43 PM   #5

Oh BTW, welcome! I'm only a few days old myself and these guys have been extremely awesome!
Old 03-12-2013, 08:49 PM   #6

Garage
18 G's for a thirteen year old Boxster in the condition you are describing is 6 to 8 grand higher than you should pay. Base Boxsters are a dime a dozen and if you keep your eyes open, and stay patient, you can find some great deals. I know when I was looking, there were lots of them to choose from. I ended up paying 20 for a 02 S model that was like new and still is with just 13,000 miles on it and I have put 5000 of those on in 6 months. Keep looking but don't pay 15 for that car. Just my 2 cents worth.
1olddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:50 PM   #7

Also, to be as accurate as possible on mine, I'm currently in the process of swapping out the clutch, flywheel, IMS bearing, water pump, plugs, pulleys, and aos, which I'm pretty positive are all original at 100k miles. I also had to replace the passenger door panel as the top of the one that was in it was sun damaged. However, the PO included a brand new panel in the sale along with a few odds and ends and a rear speaker kit. All and all, not a bad deal.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:02 PM   #8

Holy crap! I just read old dude's post and realized I'd misread yours!! $18k?!? I'll tell you what, I'll sell you mine for $13 and will drive it to you. Delivered on your doorstep! Haha. Of course, I'd then jump right back in the market for a S model needing a clutch and IMS bearing (since I'm an old hand at it now. Haha) but that's neither here nor there.

I'm with old dude.. $10ish is pretty reasonable. Maybe a little higher... I got mine for a bit of a steal because the PO had bought a 2013 boxster the week before and the '99 was apparently dragging down his status in his neighborhood.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:24 AM   #9

Geez! that's pricey. I bought my 2003 with hard top for £8300 ($13,000 ish) 2 years ago and mine is immaculate (80k miles).

Maybe Boxsters are more expensive in the US.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:27 AM   #10

Garage
He is asking "S" prices for a Base Boxster. Even with those add ons he is a little to proud of his car. Like so many before me have said, look around, you will find one for much less in better condition.

Just as a comparison, I have a 03 S with 40,000 miles, excellent condition and it would maybe sell for 18.

Ka is a wheel, and everything is 19
Coffinhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:20 AM   #11

I paid 12K for mine last year with about 66K on the clock. It was 4K less than Kelly Blue Book and I bought it at a car dealer that specialized in older cars with low milage and pristine CarFax reports. Plus good service records.

Bottom line, I'd suggest you go to KBB and put in the car with any options (particularly Litronic headlights) then adjust the milage. See what KKB specifies for a private seller (always less than a car dealer) and go form there. If he will offer you a warranty (get it in writing) that can make a difference in price. But in any case, get the quotes form KBB, NADA, etc. and see what the actual value is. Then talk to him.

Any upgrades only have value if you want them, if not, well .... Also keep in mind that if he has a personal attachment to the vehicle then it is his issue to deal with and not yours. Too much attachment just means you need to move on to find a better value.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:36 AM   #12
Certified Boxster Addict

You can find equivalent Boxsters for $10K-$11K all over the place. No need to pay more than that.

The replacement engine is worth nothing extra and the RUF stuff is worth 50% of original price at best ($1,000). The door dings take off $500.

I'd pass on the deal and let him know that its too far beyond your budget right now but if he ever wants to sell it for less to let you know. This way everyone can walk away as friends.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:48 AM   #13
Damn Yankee

Garage
The asking price is WAY overinflated. I think you should respectfully decline the opportunity.

The Boxster market where you live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area is very good. There are always plenty to choose from.

If you have your heart set on a Boxster, keep checking craigslist, cars.com, and autotrader. When you find the perfect example within your price range, you might want to make sure you have an extra $1500 to spend on the IMS bearing replacement. You'll sleep better at night.
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:56 AM   #14

Paid $11.5k late last year for my 99 base with 37k. I knew going in that it needed some seals replaced, due to the car not being driven enough. I probably could have (and should have) negotiated 1-2k further down.
Ninety9 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:00 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamOxford View Post
The asking price is WAY overinflated. I think you should respectfully decline the opportunity.

The Boxster market where you live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area is very good. There are always plenty to choose from.

If you have your heart set on a Boxster, keep checking craigslist, cars.com, and autotrader. When you find the perfect example within your price range, you might want to make sure you have an extra $1500 to spend on the IMS bearing replacement. You'll sleep better at night.
I know where he can find a sweet one in that dark blue he likes for the low low price of 13k. And its already got the IMSB done, an aluminum flywheel, a stage 2 spec clutch, a new water pump, a 160° thermostat, an under drive pulley, new plugs - all with 0 miles since install - delivered to his door! Haha

Seriously tho, even 15k is too much!
Old 03-13-2013, 01:46 PM   #16

Garage
Welcome! Nice to see someone else in the DFW area! As everyone else has stated, that is way too much, even 15K for a base. Boxsters pop up regularly in this area so be patient. You will find one that is just as nice for a whole lot less.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:31 AM   #17

thanks guys for all the inputs...

it looks like i have couple of weeks to think and research a bit more before pulling the trigger on this since i will be out of town for work.

im supposed to let the seller know by the end of this month so ill keep things posted here as it happens... hopefully i will get a good deal on it or this will end up leading me to one.

thanks all.

krnboy817 is offline   Reply With Quote