Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 11:01 AM   #1

Garage
Clutch question

'97 Boxster-78,000 miles

Clutch is going out. Last time I drove it, I had to baby it in every gear as it won't grab solid if I try to accelerate hard. What are my chances that the flywheel needs to be replaced as well? The shop I have decided on mentioned that I may need to have that replaced as well and I just don't want to be taken for a ride figuratively. I don't hear any metal-on-metal contact, but I'm not sure if I would "hear" that or not. I would imagine if that did happen I would get great clutch response, at least for a little while until I broke something.

CoBeerToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:09 AM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

Its impossible to know the condition of the pressure plate and/or flywheel until its disassembled. The shop was correct to let you know beforehand that this part may require replacement.

A rule of thumb says that if you have the repair done before the clutch goes metal to metal, you have a good chance of re-using it, but there are a lot of factors that can alter this outcome. As always, your mileage may vary.

Best way to avoid getting ripped off is to ask for the old parts back and ask the shop to show you where/why they needed replacement.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 03-12-2013 at 11:15 AM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:39 AM   #3

Garage
Thanks much. Wasn't the answer I wanted to hear, but at least I'm prepared.

Crossing fingers.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:04 PM   #4

Garage
Does your motor vibrate at ~ 3000 RPM? If so, replace the flywheel anyway.

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:36 PM   #5

In case you're interested:
I had a similar situation a while ago and I know how expensive the flywheel is. So I found one on eBay (from LA dismantler). I ended up not needing it so it sits imy garage. The clutch has some wear but the flywheel is pristine. Long story short: besides a set of wheels and a few small parts that's the last part that is left of my (sold) Boxster. I want it out of my garage and am open to any reasonable offer ( I paid $300 ) if you're interested.
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car

Last edited by ChrisZang; 03-12-2013 at 09:15 PM.
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:43 AM   #6

Garage
Just got off the phone with Rennology Motor Sports in the Chicagoland area. Clutch, flywheel, RMS, IMSB (LN Eng.) - $4354.68

Minus the flywheel, it would be $3284.68.

That's a lot of cheddar.

Jager - I don't notice any vibration. I think it's all good, but like thstone said, I really wouldn't know the true condition without tearing it apart.

ChrisZang - If I was doing the job myself, I'd be all for it.

Although with the labor and mark-up quote I just received, the thought of finding a place to do this myself is starting to look better. Parts, incl. the flywheel, I estimated to be between $2000 and $2200.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:42 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoBeerToad View Post
'97 Boxster-78,000 miles

Clutch is going out. Last time I drove it, I had to baby it in every gear as it won't grab solid if I try to accelerate hard. What are my chances that the flywheel needs to be replaced as well? The shop I have decided on mentioned that I may need to have that replaced as well and I just don't want to be taken for a ride figuratively. I don't hear any metal-on-metal contact, but I'm not sure if I would "hear" that or not. I would imagine if that did happen I would get great clutch response, at least for a little while until I broke something.
Assuming you still have the original clutch & flywheel, I would replace the flywheel. Unless you want to remove the transaxle again in 20, or 30K miles to do it then.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoBeerToad View Post
Just got off the phone with Rennology Motor Sports in the Chicagoland area. Clutch, flywheel, RMS, IMSB (LN Eng.) - $4354.68

Minus the flywheel, it would be $3284.68.

That seems at least $1,000 too high.
They must be charging individual labor rates on each part.
DFW02S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:37 AM   #9

Garage
Just heard back from the local dealership. They want $4985.

Just venting here. I'm semi-mechanically inclined. I can manage the clutch, but the after reading through the manual for the IMSB, that just seems a bit out of my technical skills. I've managed, through backyard mechanics and even school to stay away from the engine / throttle body. Everything else, brakes, suspension, ignition I can handle. I even rebuilt my transmission a couple times before (a couple times, because I wans't very good at it obviously), but extent of working with the engine or throttle body is turning the air filter cover lid upside down on my Chevy 350 when I was 17 years old.

I did my research before buying this car. I knew the clutch replacement was due, but everywhere I looked at, the cost would be about $1500. I was OK with that. Throw in the surprise IMSB and I expected to pay about $2500. Now knowing about the flywheel as well (maybe I didn't research as well as I should have) I'm expecting $3200. I'm going to hit up a couple more indie shops before I give this a shot myself and possibly get in over my head, but option C is selling the car minus the clutch, so I may as well give it a shot as I don't want to give up my first P-car just yet.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:52 AM   #10

That quote seems high-I just had the same job done including flywheel,IMS, clutch RMS and I paid 3650 with tax and everything.
oc-boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:03 AM   #11

Garage
OK. Gave myself a pep talk and I think I'm going to attempt this myself. The instructions I found on this site seem to be "foolproof" as long as I follow them.

Last edited by CoBeerToad; 03-14-2013 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Found my answer already