Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2013, 06:12 PM   #1

How often do you consider trading up to a newer Boxster?

It is only natural to always want to change or move up as budget and experience allows - so I pose this question about moving up to a newer Boxster or something similar.

It comes down to difference in the actual car versus price spent.

This is how I am figuring it out for myself. I have a 2001 Base Boxster with only 56k miles, it is my weekend fun car. I really have enjoyed it very much so far, obviously it does have a few things i wish I could improve upon - namely as the car ages, rattles, creaks, and things being slightly outdated.

I did drive a few Boxsters - and up to 2008 models, I really feel there is not a tremendous difference to justify spending $20k to $28k on a car that is not worlds apart from the 986. Sure, the interior is better. The handling is also improved, and not to mention the ride and clutch/shifter feel better as well. But is it worth a $10-15k difference for these evolutionary changes? And still has the IMS.

Now, the 2009 models feel more different t o me, and no IMS, but it is a bigger price gap.

I think for now, I will set my sights on the 981 - there I feel it is more of a revolutionary change and worth the money to move up. Hopefully in about 2 years they will be in a good price range and that's something I feel I can change into. Maybe even an 09 911 997. (For me Boxster is as good as the Cayman, so that depends on me finding a car I like)

I think this speaks volumes on how good the 986 is, and on how Porsche cars are really evolutionary and don't necessarily antiquate their previous models very heavily until a lot of time has passed.

This is just me thinking out loud here, but I always love hearing what you guys have to say on the matter.

rondocap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:20 PM   #2

I have a 2004 S. Flirted with (test drove, configured what I wanted with my salesman) upgrading to 987S in 2007 when the 3.4 came out. Then again with the RS60 in 2009. But it was 2011's Spyder that really gave me a serious jones. Test drove a used one with a handful of miles that summer, tested a showroom floor one that someone ordered then changed his color preference when it came in so it was on the floor awhile.

Finally came down to the reality that, with a 50k price delta (when tax was figured in), I just didn't want to do it. As you said, Rondo, each time the difference just wasn't enough to warrant the price differential. I only have 43k on my S, it's in perfect condition, and I just have no real desire to upgrade when my trade-in value would be so low and the next guy would be getting such a screaming deal on my current car!

So I just put new wheels and exhaust system on my car and bought myself a bit more time. Of course, as soon as I did I started looking at used Spyder prices and realized I may have been a bit hasty!
NoGaBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:23 PM   #3

I'm at the point where if I do the IMS upgrade, I'll also do a new glass top and that will make me keep the car for even longer as basically all of the maintenance is done, and it should be very reliable. Or my other route is that I can save that $3-4k those upgrades will cost and put it towards a newer car, even if it's not a 981 yet, perhaps in a year a nice 2007 Boxster that has a better IMS and a little more upgrades. They are going for cheap now, nice examples are in the mid $20k's!
Old 03-07-2013, 06:27 PM   #4

Garage
I'm going to wait on a nice used 2013. Hope whoever has it now takes good care of it for me!
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:45 PM   #5
Certified Boxster Addict

Never.

I love the purity of the 986. Its simple. It's perfectly balanced with incredible handling and is plenty fast. There might not be an better car to use to REALLY learn to drive.

The new Boxster's are just like the newer 911's - GT cruisers. Sure, they're faster but the car does all of the work for you - which ain't for me.

The perfect car for me would be a 986 GT-3 with a 3.8.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:32 PM   #6

With the Boxster - it's a funny because it's the first car that I don't feel like I really want or need more power. I may want a newer one just for the sake of having newer mechanicals and things of that nature, but powerwise it is really not bad for the real world streets.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:36 PM   #7
recycledsixtie

Garage
With my 2001 Boxster base I know what I have. No real surprises in the last 1.5
years of service. 50k miles and feels like new. I drive it year round in snow and ice. Why would I want to subject anything more expensive to that kind of abuse? Besides I am not sure what the next will be - some kind of 911 or a newer Boxster - 2009. Good question though. I am always looking at the sale ads. Spring is here and lots of P cars come up for sale.
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:46 PM   #8
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
I've been looking into it seriously. My issue is more I want to drive a Porsche more and with hip issues I simply can't drive either one of my manual Boxsters enough and it frustrates me. I have a buyer for my 2007 and he will be getting an amazing car that is like brand new. I worked with my Porsche dealer for a 981 at 7.5% off MSRP which makes us both happy but I haven't moved on it yet. If I get another Boxster it won't make sense to keep my 986 unless I plan to track it or send it up to my Mom's house for my summer vacations. I've also been looking at the Cayman 'S' and 911s. I want something I can drive to work a lot and take on long weekends without having to worry about shifting a manual. Well anyway not sure where I will end up, I know for sure if I have to part with my 986 someone will get a totally bullet proof car after all I have done to it.
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:51 PM   #9

I bought the 986 as sort of an experiment for myself. I daily drive a Prius for work (Need to because of gas and mileage) and my fun car was a BMW 335i.

I got the 986, and almost immediately I fell in love with it. So different than the 335i. For a fun, visceral, sports car, it can't be beat for the price.

Manually shifting to redline, hearing that engine, wow. I did not think a 2001 Boxster, base at that - was going to have such an exotic exhaust and engine noise. And almost the same interior as a 911 too!

For fun, my 2001 Boxster made my newer, more expensive BMW seem like just a luxury cruiser.

If I didn't just get the BMW, I would seriously consider getting something like 981 or a newer 987.2 Boxster and just be done with it. But I like this route, eventually that's what I will do after I've enjoyed the BMW for a few more years. (Don't get me wrong, it is a very fast and capable car, and has all the amenities - just that the Boxster hit on what i wanted to feel when driving)
Old 03-07-2013, 07:58 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Never.

I love the purity of the 986. Its simple. It's perfectly balanced with incredible handling and is plenty fast. There might not be an better car to use to REALLY learn to drive.

The new Boxster's are just like the newer 911's - GT cruisers. Sure, they're faster but the car does all of the work for you - which ain't for me.

The perfect car for me would be a 986 GT-3 with a 3.8.
Same here. It's the creature comforts I don't desire that makes my '01 work for me, like my 914.
Bryan topping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:04 PM   #11

I pulled the trigger 3 yrs ago and bought a 987s 6spd. My 1st Boxster is a 986s but with a Tip tranny. It was my wife's choice so I had to compromise. Loved it and drve it all the time.

Once I had the 987s I barely used the 986s anymore so I ended up giving to my son. The main reason was the extra power the 987 had and that sport exhaust I could turn on or off. Drop the top down, turn on the SPE and take off. I was in love.

I hear a lot of people in different forums that say they are satisfied with how much power they currently have. I do have to tell you, drive one with more power and you'll change our mind quickly. My 987s has over 50 hp over my 986 and it makes me smile each time I have a chance to accelerate hard.
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:06 AM   #12
1998 Boxster

I have had my '98 base for a year, and it has been the focus of my attention...I love it! But, I really Do wish it had more power....mainly quicker acceleration. Have looked into lots of mods that might help but have found few if any that will make significant power increases without either potential harm to the car, or at a monetary cost that can't be justified. I do have an underdrive pulley on order in the hope of some little power improvement.

This all said, I frequently think that if the right deal on a 2003 or 2004 S were to present itself, I would make a change just for the power increase.
rah rah 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:59 AM   #13

Garage
I have one of each as well as a carrera 4 and I love driving each one, but I will have to say I enjoy the 987 the most.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:23 AM   #14

Garage
My first chose would have been a Cayman S. My finances and what was available steered me to my Boxster. I am very impressed and happy with what I have. It is my daily, rain, snow what ever. It is the best part of my day, driving that car. My grand plan is to drive the 986-S to the end of 2015. That will put my mileage in the mid 80k range. That's when I would contemplation moving to a 2009 Cayman-S. I believe that after 2009 you get away from the IMS cloud. The thing is, sometimes Life gets in the way and changes the Grand Plan so if the Boxster is still hanging in there, I'm still good to go with what I have. A bird in the hand... Or I could end up with 2 P-cars in the garage Now that would be a grander plan
Old 03-08-2013, 05:31 AM   #15
Carnut

Right now I seriously look at a new S.
But the money! My current car is really nice and needs nothing. Somebody tell me to be reasonable!!!!
Old 03-08-2013, 05:32 AM   #16
I am my own mechanic....

I will keep my '04 S since I will have it mint by summer.

Next will be 911 or GT.

To answer the question, every time I pass Strong Porsche on State Street!!
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:55 AM   #17

I use to get the same feelings of trading her in for something different. I recently dropped her off at the shop and am spending about $4000 getting her back into like new condition. I have missed the car while she has been away and have decided that I will be keeping her for good. I really like and am comfortable with the M96/cars and am hoping to either get a C4S or a 996 Turbo at some point. I like the new cars too, but there isnt that great of a performance differential. I would like a PDK C4S or turbo so that my wife can drive it too, but I guess Ill have to teach her to drive stick on the boxster.

Some of the recent mods that I have completed to bring her up to date are

Double Dinn Nav
18" Wheels
Skirts

Last edited by Ckrikos; 03-08-2013 at 05:58 AM.
Ckrikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:54 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
Next will be 911 or GT.
Me too. I've never owned a 911 and it makes sense for this one to be my next purchase. Will more likely be a 997S.

This is my current stable:https://picasaweb.google.com/cas951s/TopDown?authkey=Gv1sRgCP_rjq-TurLQAw#
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:16 AM   #19
Mobile Porsche Surgeon

My next one will be an used Cayenne, that way I can keep my boxster. New would be nice but I can buy 5 used porsche and keep them all for the price of a new one.

http://www.mikesspecialtyautomotiveservice.com/index.html
Early 1996 / 97 Boxster, 130 k, De snorkeled, IMS, Top Speed Headers.
kashmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:31 AM   #20

I test drove and was about to buy a 2013 cayenne base, but decided instead to buy a Touareg. If you are looking at a base cayenne I think the touareg is a great compromise. I believe it has the same motor and the same transmission. The Touareg has 4 piston Brembo brakes) The only thing I liked about the cayenne is that it comes with paddle shifters. These are only available on the Euro Touareg. I got my Touareg LUX v6 for 42K vs about 62 for a cayenne. The interior of the Touareg was not as nice as the cayenne, but was better than the Audi and Mercedes, 2nd best. I also considered a used cayenne back to 2011, but even those go for 50+.