View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013, 06:12 PM   #1
rondocap

How often do you consider trading up to a newer Boxster?

It is only natural to always want to change or move up as budget and experience allows - so I pose this question about moving up to a newer Boxster or something similar.

It comes down to difference in the actual car versus price spent.

This is how I am figuring it out for myself. I have a 2001 Base Boxster with only 56k miles, it is my weekend fun car. I really have enjoyed it very much so far, obviously it does have a few things i wish I could improve upon - namely as the car ages, rattles, creaks, and things being slightly outdated.

I did drive a few Boxsters - and up to 2008 models, I really feel there is not a tremendous difference to justify spending $20k to $28k on a car that is not worlds apart from the 986. Sure, the interior is better. The handling is also improved, and not to mention the ride and clutch/shifter feel better as well. But is it worth a $10-15k difference for these evolutionary changes? And still has the IMS.

Now, the 2009 models feel more different t o me, and no IMS, but it is a bigger price gap.

I think for now, I will set my sights on the 981 - there I feel it is more of a revolutionary change and worth the money to move up. Hopefully in about 2 years they will be in a good price range and that's something I feel I can change into. Maybe even an 09 911 997. (For me Boxster is as good as the Cayman, so that depends on me finding a car I like)

I think this speaks volumes on how good the 986 is, and on how Porsche cars are really evolutionary and don't necessarily antiquate their previous models very heavily until a lot of time has passed.

This is just me thinking out loud here, but I always love hearing what you guys have to say on the matter.
rondocap is offline   Reply With Quote