Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 07:48 AM   #1
Homeboy981

Garage
Was My Boxster S Married In India?

Upon pulling the clutch I noticed the "Heart" of the engine, or crankshaft (under flywheel), has a RED DOT in the center of it. What the heck?

I have dots all over my poor Pcar….found a BLUE DOT on the engine and now a RED DOT on the crankshaft….what gives? I have a "-5" on the tranny case too.

From a previous post the BLUE DOT is supposed to mean that Porsche re-worked the car prior to leaving the factory….now a RED DOT - what does that mean?

If you need a pic - I will be under there later today and can post it for verification (or relief that your car was not 'all marked up'.

Is this normal?

Does anyone else have these?

Old 03-05-2013, 08:17 AM   #2

Garage
Porsche used blue paint to mark problem engines that needed to be "remanufactured" before being released from the factory. Seems they were usually very liberal with the blue spray paint. If you have 1 small dot that may be something different. The cosmoline is applied after the blue paint. So you may find more blue paint if you clean the engine more to "confirm" your engines "recycled" status.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:00 AM   #3
Homeboy981

Garage
Thanks @BYprodriver,

We determined, from a previous post here, that the BLUE DOT was indeed what you said, Porsche re-manned the engine BEFORE it left the factory.
Here is a shot of the BLUE DOT:

The question is, was it because of the RED DOT?

Here is a pic of the RED DOT:

Here is a pic of the RMS/IMS:

I am getting a bunch of oil leaking into my tranny housing, it does look like the RMS is a little "weepy" and could it be the culprit? Here is a shot of all the oil in the tranny housing:

Here is also a shot of the "-5" on the side of the tranny:

Love my car but now I am questioning my commitment to it. A little information may help! I am a little freaked out about the RED DOT!
Old 03-05-2013, 09:22 AM   #4

Garage
Don't know about red dots. You have a red dot in the front engine pic too on 1 of the bolts for the power steering pulley. Might just be "dab's" to show bolts have been torqued. If your RMS is NOT a 997 part# then the oil leak is not unusual. Just clean the whole area very well & properly install the new design 997 RMS & you should be fine.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:41 AM   #5

Your Boxster is just a higher caste than all the others.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:18 AM   #6
Homeboy981

Garage
BYprodriver,
Whew! Some relief there just hearing that. [sigh]

I can see what you mean by the red dot on the PS Pulley. However, there are no bolts to torque on the camshaft itself….so what gives?

"Your Boxster is just a higher caste than all the others."
@Porsche Chick - I wish I could believe that! I want to believe it. Aw, heck, lie to me I love it! Maybe it is a red car at heart?

I was feeling better for a minute, thanks for trying!

{gulp some liquid courage} Now I can proceed!
Old 03-05-2013, 02:03 PM   #7

From your picture, there seems to be no oil leaking from the IMSB or the RMS. the oil is probably from the tranny, likely the seal behind the throw out bearing.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:53 PM   #8
Homeboy981

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by san rensho View Post
From your picture, there seems to be no oil leaking from the IMSB or the RMS. the oil is probably from the tranny, likely the seal behind the throw out bearing.
Say it isn't so San….I was all ready to do the repairs on the IMS/RMS….and now it COULD be something else. This is bad news for me. Don't know what is involved to do repairs on Throw Out Bearing Seal. Is it hard to do? You have replaced everything on your car, is this something you have done or know where some instructibles are?

Better to find out now than to get it back together and have to do it all over again!

I thought I saw a little seeping under the IMS. I drained the old oil weeks ago. It has been sitting empty for a while…would that be it?

Thanks everyone for your help! I am having DTs from NOT DRIVING PORSCHE! Never thought it could happen, but…"My name is Mark. I am addicting to driving a Boxster".
Old 03-05-2013, 03:20 PM   #9
Mobile Porsche Surgeon

Homeboy

I'm not to far from you if you need some help.

Kashmir

http://www.mikesspecialtyautomotiveservice.com/index.html
Early 1996 / 97 Boxster, 130 k, De snorkeled, IMS, Top Speed Headers.
kashmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:45 AM   #10
Homeboy981

Garage
Thanks Kashmir!

These Boxster guys around DFW are GREAT!

Thanks for all the input!

Here is where I'm at…

Last edited by Homeboy981; 03-06-2013 at 10:59 AM.
Homeboy981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:29 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeboy981 View Post
Say it isn't so San….I was all ready to do the repairs on the IMS/RMS….and now it COULD be something else. This is bad news for me. Don't know what is involved to do repairs on Throw Out Bearing Seal. Is it hard to do? You have replaced everything on your car, is this something you have done or know where some instructibles are?Better to find out now than to get it back together and have to do it all over again!

I thought I saw a little seeping under the IMS. I drained the old oil weeks ago. It has been sitting empty for a while…would that be it?

Thanks everyone for your help! I am having DTs from NOT DRIVING PORSCHE! Never thought it could happen, but…"My name is Mark. I am addicting to driving a Boxster".
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/44-TRANS-Clutch/44-TRANS-Clutch.htm

Scroll down to the section on transmission mainshaft seal. Looks pretty easy to me.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:24 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeboy981 View Post
BYprodriver,
Whew! Some relief there just hearing that. [sigh]

I can see what you mean by the red dot on the PS Pulley. However, there are no bolts to torque on the camshaft itself….so what gives?

"Your Boxster is just a higher caste than all the others."
@Porsche Chick - I wish I could believe that! I want to believe it. Aw, heck, lie to me I love it! Maybe it is a red car at heart?

I was feeling better for a minute, thanks for trying!

{gulp some liquid courage} Now I can proceed!
It could be an "orientation" mark from the assembly process. Torque paint, AKA "mechanic's lacquer" is typically painted onto the fastener and surrounding area or threads if they're exposed; that way is the fastener moves the lacquer crumbles.

shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote