Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 12:36 PM   #1

Garage
What's that clicking noise behind driver's seat?

I have an intermittent clicking noise behind my left ear when I'm driving. A few months ago, I had a pesty clicking sound, but I tightened the convertible top tension cable, and took care of that one.

Today I rode around and listened closely, but forgot to take my listening tube. Seems the clicking noise happens with a significant weight shift, or on certain bumps.

I'm thinking it could be the seatbelt tensioner. I took the panel off yesterday to expose the seat belt, and vacuumed around the area and blew out with air.

I'm wondering if there is a pin, or weight shift mechanism inside the seat belt mechanism that moves and is causing this noise.

Since I have owned this Boxster for about six-months, on four different occasions the seat belt will not come out when I get ready to buckle up in the mornings. I ride around for a while, then a few minutes later it releases. That's why I'm thinking it my have something to do with the seat belt mechanism.

I called my local dealer, and seems the price for just the driver's side belt is around $268.00 plus tax, as opposed to $405.00 on Pelican Parts. Anyone know of a place I can get this cheaper?

I'm wondering if there is any way to take the mechanism apart to see why it keeps clicking, if that's what the issue is.

Has anyone else experienced this same clicking noise, and if so, how did you fix?

Input appreciated!

Old 03-03-2013, 02:00 PM   #2

couple of threads to check out:
for most people it tends to be either (a) a cable on the top that sometimes makes a ticking / clicking noise or (b) the door being a little off when latching.

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/22782-rattle-drivers-left-ear.html

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/12553-ticking-noise-coming-right-behind-my-left-shoulder.html
Old 03-03-2013, 07:18 PM   #3

Garage
I had the same sound and found it was the driver door latch. The cure was I sprayed some lithium grease on the door latch ( the moving piece) and on the D shaped ring that the door latches to. I regrease twice a year and no more squeaks.

Hope that solves it.
dbazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:01 PM   #4
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermac99 View Post
I have an intermittent clicking noise behind my left ear when I'm driving. A few months ago, I had a pesty clicking sound, but I tightened the convertible top tension cable, and took care of that one.

Today I rode around and listened closely, but forgot to take my listening tube. Seems the clicking noise happens with a significant weight shift, or on certain bumps.

I'm thinking it could be the seatbelt tensioner. I took the panel off yesterday to expose the seat belt, and vacuumed around the area and blew out with air.

I'm wondering if there is a pin, or weight shift mechanism inside the seat belt mechanism that moves and is causing this noise.

Since I have owned this Boxster for about six-months, on four different occasions the seat belt will not come out when I get ready to buckle up in the mornings. I ride around for a while, then a few minutes later it releases. That's why I'm thinking it my have something to do with the seat belt mechanism.

I called my local dealer, and seems the price for just the driver's side belt is around $268.00 plus tax, as opposed to $405.00 on Pelican Parts. Anyone know of a place I can get this cheaper?

I'm wondering if there is any way to take the mechanism apart to see why it keeps clicking, if that's what the issue is.

Has anyone else experienced this same clicking noise, and if so, how did you fix?

Input appreciated!
Please describe this listening tube. I have a rattle that is killing me. Has to be just the right slightly rough road but mostly smooth and no pot holes. Vibration rattle.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:34 PM   #5
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
He is probably talking about a stethoscope you can purchase at most auto parts stores. For mine, I took an older medical stethoscope I had and inserted a 24" stainless steel rod on the end.

You are able to insert this into a space, place it against any surface and the sound is transmitted clearly and cleanly to your ear. Same principle as putting a glass against a wall and listening to a conversation on the other side.

Note: If you don't have a medical stethoscope or access to a store that sells them, a simple dowel rod will work. Round the ends and place in your ear...it will give you the same results for a fraction of the cost.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:44 AM   #6

I had a noise when I bought mine. Turned out it was coins that had slipped into the plastic part covering the seat hinge.
Squozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:03 PM   #7
flybird

Garage
click click click

I have the same sound and thought it was the electric fuel pump.
flybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:34 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
Please describe this listening tube. I have a rattle that is killing me. Has to be just the right slightly rough road but mostly smooth and no pot holes. Vibration rattle.
I have cut a piece of water hose pipe that I hold to my ear. I need to take it with me on my next drive and stick down the shaft where the seat belt mechanism is to see if I hear the sound from there.

My click is very high pitched, kind of like banging two 16 penny nails together, or two coins. It's not always associated with a bump, I have found.

Maybe the post about fuel pump may be onto something. It's very annoying, since it's located right behind my ear.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:36 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbazos View Post
I had the same sound and found it was the driver door latch. The cure was I sprayed some lithium grease on the door latch ( the moving piece) and on the D shaped ring that the door latches to. I regrease twice a year and no more squeaks.

Hope that solves it.
I doubt it's my dooor latch, since the sound is right behing my left ear. This is a very high pitched sound.

Was the sound you had from the door latch high pitched? Mine is like banging two quarters together. Not really, really loud, but annoying.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:39 PM   #10

Are you sure its not the rear wind deflector and clips...did mine , an easy fix with some small stick on felt pads.. sounds right behind your ear hole..!¬!

Take deflector and meshes off and sticky pads go in the mounting lugs...sorted!
Porsche Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:40 PM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric G View Post
He is probably talking about a stethoscope you can purchase at most auto parts stores. For mine, I took an older medical stethoscope I had and inserted a 24" stainless steel rod on the end.

You are able to insert this into a space, place it against any surface and the sound is transmitted clearly and cleanly to your ear. Same principle as putting a glass against a wall and listening to a conversation on the other side.

Note: If you don't have a medical stethoscope or access to a store that sells them, a simple dowel rod will work. Round the ends and place in your ear...it will give you the same results for a fraction of the cost.
I think I have an old medical stethoscope in my closet somewhere, and I like the idea of attaching a rod so it will reach areas further away. Gonna give this a try. Might be best if I have someone to ride with me to listen, so I could keep my eyes and ears on the road.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:42 PM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche Pete View Post
Are you sure its not the rear wind deflector and clips...did mine , an easy fix with some small stick on felt pads.. sounds right behind your ear hole..!¬!

Take deflector and meshes off and sticky pads go in the mounting lugs...sorted!
I don't have a deflector, so that's not what I'm hearing. I've heard a lot of people having troubles with noises from those. If I ever get one, I will know what to listen for.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:45 PM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybird View Post
I have the same sound and thought it was the electric fuel pump.
Does your sound happen intermittently? Is it high pitched. Do bumps and curves cause the noise?
Old 03-05-2013, 12:48 PM   #14

Sorted ...Lol
Attached Images

Old 03-05-2013, 07:09 PM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermac99 View Post
I doubt it's my dooor latch, since the sound is right behing my left ear. This is a very high pitched sound.

Was the sound you had from the door latch high pitched? Mine is like banging two quarters together. Not really, really loud, but annoying.
The sound in my car was a high pitched squeak. I looked everywhere for it and never thought it would be solved by a little grease on the door latch. Your car may have a different issue but its a simple fix to try. Good luck.
dbazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:49 AM   #16
flybird

Garage
click click click

I notice the clicking at idle with no radio or heater fan on. When I start driving the engine noise drowns it out.
flybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:00 AM   #17

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche Pete View Post
Sorted ...Lol
Looks like I might need an exterminator!!
Old 03-06-2013, 07:42 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbazos View Post
The sound in my car was a high pitched squeak. I looked everywhere for it and never thought it would be solved by a little grease on the door latch. Your car may have a different issue but its a simple fix to try. Good luck.
seconded. mine was almost a chirp, but "hitting two quarters together" is a better description. and it sounded like it was right behind my ear.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:28 AM   #19

Ahhh got it now..! A chirp you say....Have u got Parrot bluetooth fitted??
Attached Images

Old 03-09-2013, 02:31 PM   #20

Garage
Ah-Ha!!!!!!!
Found the noise!!!!:dance:

I mentioned that a while back my soft top tension cable was making a noise, and I tightened it up and the noise went away. I think it was the adjustment bracket moving.

A couple days ago I unhooked the bottom part of the tension cable on the driver's side, but I was still getting the clicking noise, so I figured it had to be something else. I've been riding around with a stethoscope in my ears. LOL

Today I was cruising and decided to stop and remove the tension cable all together. BAMMMM!!! Like magic, the noise stopped.

I wonder if a new cable will do better?

I have a new GAHH top ordered and the install is in about one week. Does anyone know if the tension cables come with the new top, or do they use my old cables? I went with the upgraded glass window, and was wondering if the cable I have on the old top will work on the new top that has a glass window? I think I need to contact GAHH to inquire. The installer ordered the top, and he didn't know at the time.

Anyway, very glad I found the clicking noise. So, if any of you have the same noise, check the tension cable.

Good luck, and thanks for all the replies!