Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2013, 03:21 PM   #1

Upgrading door speakers

Im trying to decide what door speakers to get and wanted to know what my options are. I'm thinking of getting Polk db 6.5" speakers and modding the plastic housing. Has anyone attached larger speakers to it or is the only way to do this to make a custom speaker mount out of plywood?

Thanks

Old 03-02-2013, 04:09 PM   #2

I sure like the way my OEM Bose speakers sound! Mine also has the woofer behind the seats.
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:38 PM   #3

I'm in the process of doing something eimilar. I'm putting in 6.5" Kicker subwoofers to finsih off my install. There is a template on the internet for a custom mount. I made one, but haven't had a chance to try it out yet since my new lights arrived. For myself, the install is a bit more complicated since I need to remove the door electrical harness so I can put in the wires for my subwoofer. I'm not using the stock speaker wiring.

Hopefully someone else can chime in on the actual frequencey response of the door wiring. From what I recall, it was set up for a woofer only. Not sure if a full response speaker setup would benefit form the setup or not. Which is one reason why I decided to go for a subwoofer and a new 5 way ammp. I currently have Infinity 4" speakers in the front with a 1" tweater. In the back I have Infinity 3.5" two-way speakers.

I do recall a link to a page with someone else that pout in Kicker subwoofers int eh stock location with the stock wiring and he was not impressed with the results and gave up. The stock woofers didn't do anything for me with the stock dash speakers and amp either. I do like what I have now, but still need to finish off to know if I'm going to stick with the infinity rears or mount two pairs of 2.75" speakers in the stock plastic mounts.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:05 PM   #4

Do your speakers fit? Whats their depth. Someone posted that the max depth is 3". I haven't tried yet so don't really know. I found the template, but am not really interested in chopping up the door. I was hoping to use a dremel and make the hole a little larger and see if I could get the speaker to fit. If I was making my own mount I might try 6x9" speakers. Are you changing out your amp? I was hoping to find an amp where I can change the frequency crossover built in for each channel. Not sure if that's available. I upgraded my radio to a Pioneer 940 NAV and put polk 4.5" speakers in the dash.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:36 PM   #5

The speakers have a mounting depth of 2 13/16" so they should fit, but just in case I also bought a 1/2" mounting ring. I haven't installed them yet. As for the amp, I bought a Helix Blue 5. It is mounted on the floor of the frunk. I pulled the original amp.

You have to use a template of some sort since the stock hole is made to fit the stock woofer whcih includes an enclosure. Either that, or you'll have to seal the rest of the door. I thought about that too, but just decided to use the template. Oh, I forgot, using the template does not require chopping up the door since you are just sealing the hole already there to fit the enclosure.