Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 11:43 AM   #1
Certified Boxster Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 7,605
Why I'm Mad at Porsche

Here's the scenario - I was at AutoClub Speedway last Saturday for a DE in prep for the PCA Festival of Speed to be held at the same location in April. I am driving in the open passing group and everyone is very careful and courteous with their passing.

As the day progresses, I find that I am turning lap times just slightly faster than a few other guys in 5.0 Mustangs and Camaro SS's. In fact, I am faster than they are through the banking and the infield corners, but they freight train me on all of the straights. So, we're all passing each other 2-3 times per lap - they pass me on the straights and I get back by them in the corners.

Yes, its fun to be fastger than guys with over 400hp, but what peeves me about this situation is why the heck can't I buy a Boxster with a 350-400 hp engine? Why does the Boxster/Cayman get stuck with a max of 320-ish hp and the only way to get more is to move up to a 911?

What I feel is salt in my wounds is the fact that Porsche sells a sedan and friggin' SUV with huge horse power. They aren't even sports cars! WTF?

Porsche should quit messing around and sell a high powered Boxster/Cayman.

__________________
1999 996 C2 - sold - bought back - sold for more
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:49 AM   #2
Registered User
 
manolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 247
The answer's very simple: Because it would be better than the 911. And they just can't have that. Can you imagine what a Cayman GT3 would be? It would eclipse the 911. I wish it wasn't so, but there's no way Porsche AG would do it.
__________________
2003 Cayenne Turbo
manolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:24 PM   #3
Engine Surgeon
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cleveland GA USA
Posts: 2,424
This is the way things have been for years... Hell, I even did the same thing with a 914!

Quote:
Why does the Boxster/Cayman get stuck with a max of 320-ish hp and the only way to get more is to move up to a 911?
Thats why we are bombarded with work and create engines that cost more than the cars they are installed into are even worth.

We created a 4.2 Flat Six well before Porsche, ours has been done for two years now on the 9a1 platform. :-)
__________________
Jake Raby/www.flat6innovations.com
IMS Solution/ Faultless Tool Inventor
US Patent 8,992,089 &
US Patent 9,416,697
Developer of The IMS Retrofit Procedure- M96/ M97 Specialist
Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:08 PM   #4
Registered User
 
Perfectlap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 8,708
Back in 2010, TC Kline's Boxster Spyder outplapped a modified 997 GT3 by nearly 1.5 seconds at a Laguna time trial with zero engine mods, only suspension and tires. I was also just watching the Spyder outlap an R8 with one of those 400+ HP engines that Porsche won't pony up. So maybe you don't have to get a Carrera afterall to go faster.


As for Porsche, the 981 Boxster S is already practically equal on the time sheets to the Carrera 991. I'm going to shoot one of the car magazines an email to put together a head to head battle.: 981 S Cayman and Boxster vs. 991 Cab and Coupe....same rubber. With zero involvement by Porsche of course.

Also, for 1996-1999 anything over 300 HP wasn't so common, even in the standard 911.
The Carrera didn't hit 350 HP even with the introduction of the 997 some six years later.
If you wanted that 350-400 HP Porsche wanted you to cough up the benjamins for the race engine. No love for the 'regular' Carreras.

But good on you for passing much more powerful cars in your 2.5. I think that's one reason why Boxster racing is popular. It keeps ordinary drivers from looking faster than they really are.
__________________
GT3 Recaro Seats - Boxster Red
GT3 Aero / Carrera 18" 5 spoke / Potenza RE-11
Fabspeed Headers & Noise Maker
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 02-28-2013 at 01:20 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:22 PM   #5
Registered User
 
laphan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: MI
Posts: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
Back in 2010, TC Kline's Boxster Spyder outplapped a modified 997 GT3 by nearly 1.5 seconds at a Laguna time trial with zero engine mods, only suspension and tires. I was also just watching the Spyder outlap an R8 with one of those 400+ HP engines that Porsche won't pony up. So maybe you don't have to get a Carrera afterall to go faster.


As for Porsche, the 981 Boxster S is already practically equal on the time sheets to the Carrera 991. I'm going to shoot one of the car magazines an email to put together a head to head battle.: 981 S Cayman and Boxster vs. 991 Cab and Coupe....same rubber. With zero involvement by Porsche of course.

Also, for 1996-1999 anything over 300 HP wasn't so common, even in the standard 911.
The Carrera didn't hit 350 HP even with the introduction of the 997 some six years later.
If you wanted that 350-400 HP Porsche wanted you to cough up the benjamins for the race engine. No love for the 'regular' Carreras.

But good on you for passing much more powerful cars in your 2.5. I think that's one reason why Boxster racing is popular. It keeps ordinary drivers from looking faster than they really are.

Has been done.. 981 Boxster S vs 991 carrera 2.

2012 Porsche 911 Carrera (991) vs. 2013 Porsche Boxster S - Showdown - CAR and DRIVER - YouTube
laphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:01 PM   #6
Registered User
 
Joe B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Jackson Hole, Wyoming
Posts: 800
I do track days on a 317 lb. (that's 100 lb lighter than stock) 1997 Ducati SS motorcycle. Air cooled, carbs, 85 hp. Everyone passes me on the straights, but the fun is I can out-brake and out-corner nearly all of them. I could just by a 1000 cc I-4 with 175 hp, but my Ducati is so much fun. My message is: buy a Camaro or Mustang, or just drive the Boxster and enjoy it. Straightaways take no skill at all. Track days are not a race, they are all about fun!
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:25 PM   #7
Registered User
 
jdiba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by manolo View Post
The answer's very simple: Because it would be better than the 911. And they just can't have that. Can you imagine what a Cayman GT3 would be? It would eclipse the 911. I wish it wasn't so, but there's no way Porsche AG would do it.
Manolo pretty much summed it up.
__________________
-May all the roads you travel in life be Speed Trap free.

01 986 Boxster S. Arctic Silver. 6 speed manual. IMSR/RMS.
jdiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:43 PM   #8
Registered User
 
Perfectlap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 8,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by laphan View Post
Not a good comparison since the 981 had advantages that the 991 didn't.

I'm talking about equal options, equal rubber. x # lap race between the four.
__________________
GT3 Recaro Seats - Boxster Red
GT3 Aero / Carrera 18" 5 spoke / Potenza RE-11
Fabspeed Headers & Noise Maker
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:46 PM   #9
Track rat
 
Topless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Cucamonga CA
Posts: 3,682
Garage
Don't get mad, get even. When the 2.5 finally lets go, have Jake shoehorn a nice 4.0L in there with appropriate cooling and gearbox. Then you will have $150k performance for around $30k... Eric Oviatt built the prototype.
__________________
2009 Cayman 2.9L PDK (with a few tweaks)
PCA-GPX Chief Driving Instructor
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:50 PM   #10
Registered User
 
Perfectlap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 8,708
someone has a 4.0 L in a Boxster? I've seen this on a 996 and it looked like an extensive project.
__________________
GT3 Recaro Seats - Boxster Red
GT3 Aero / Carrera 18" 5 spoke / Potenza RE-11
Fabspeed Headers & Noise Maker
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:22 PM   #11
Engine Surgeon
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cleveland GA USA
Posts: 2,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
someone has a 4.0 L in a Boxster? I've seen this on a 996 and it looked like an extensive project.
The Raby 4.2 is in a 2010 Cayman "X".
__________________
Jake Raby/www.flat6innovations.com
IMS Solution/ Faultless Tool Inventor
US Patent 8,992,089 &
US Patent 9,416,697
Developer of The IMS Retrofit Procedure- M96/ M97 Specialist
Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:56 PM   #12
Registered User
 
manolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Raby View Post
The Raby 4.2 is in a 2010 Cayman "X".
Boom. That's how you do it right there. :-)
__________________
2003 Cayenne Turbo
manolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:24 PM   #13
Porscheectomy
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Seattle Area
Posts: 3,011
Power is like money, you can never get enough.

LS V8 Boxster Conversion From Renegade Hybrids! - YouTube
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:17 PM   #14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Antonio, Texas!
Posts: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s View Post
Power is like money, you can never get enough.

LS V8 Boxster Conversion From Renegade Hybrids! - YouTube

Oh... my... that made me

At 0:55, tell me we don't all do that every day That "on-ramp unleashing" is the best part of my day.
stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:29 PM   #15
Registered User
 
Jager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: California
Posts: 1,817
Garage
I see a 400 horse B4S in the future...
__________________
Jäger

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:28 AM   #16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 711
What about a 3.2S that's been re-sleeved to 3.6? Anyone heard/know of one?
Crono0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:06 PM   #17
Engine Surgeon
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cleveland GA USA
Posts: 2,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono0001 View Post
What about a 3.2S that's been re-sleeved to 3.6? Anyone heard/know of one?
Thats what we pioneered... My Gen3 engines can go 3.2-3.8 without issue and produce over 300RWHP even in my first stage of performance.

I did this first before anyone else, see pics of many of them here in the albums on our facebook page. www.facebook.com/fixabrokensix

This addresses the 24 modes of engine failure, produces a minimum of 50HP over stock (even my Stage 1 3.6 built from a 3.2 makes this today) and does so without any "conversion" necessary. We don't even have to flash the ECU for most of these combinations we have developed to produce ridiculous performance.
__________________
Jake Raby/www.flat6innovations.com
IMS Solution/ Faultless Tool Inventor
US Patent 8,992,089 &
US Patent 9,416,697
Developer of The IMS Retrofit Procedure- M96/ M97 Specialist
Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:54 PM   #18
Registered User
 
Joe B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Jackson Hole, Wyoming
Posts: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s View Post
Power is like money, you can never get enough.

LS V8 Boxster Conversion From Renegade Hybrids! - YouTube
I bet he's got some serious tire bills !

Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page