Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 05:21 AM   #1
I am my own mechanic....

Freezing weather

So my baby is garaged, but down to high 30's at night.

How long do you let your B'ster warm up before driving off?

Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:25 AM   #2

Garage
I'm no expert, but I always wait until the air pump (I think that's what it's called) stops running. About 45-75 seconds.
CoBeerToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:27 AM   #3

Hi,

I start it and wait for the revs to drop to 700 or so, then go, but keeping the revs under 4k til its at normal temp (maybe 5 min or so)

Have been doing that for 6 years and no problems.

Past Cars
2006 MB C180k
2005 Peugeot 306
1980 928
2004 Subaru Liberty GT
2000 Nissan Pulsar SSS
smagerstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:33 AM   #4
Carnut

No need to warm up..... the faster the engine warms up the better. Idle when cold runs very rich and the gas will wash off the oil in the cylinder walls and also gets in the oil. Investigate a bit and come to your own conclusion. Not to mention the environment.

JMHO.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:36 AM   #5
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyA6 View Post
No need to warm up..... the faster the engine warms up the better. Idle when cold runs very rich and the gas will wash off the oil in the cylinder walls and also gets in the oil. Investigate a bit and come to your own conclusion. Not to mention the environment.

JMHO.
Agreed on the enviro issue. New Porsche owner. Don't want to hurt anything.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:51 AM   #6

I normally just wait 30 seconds for the oil to circulate before moving off and putting any load on the engine. Then keep it below 3.5k for about 10 minutes when the oil is up to temperature.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:11 AM   #7

The recommendation in the owners manual concurs with Andy and Nimbus. Start it and drive away immediately, limit revs until warm.

There have been a few discussions on this topic. Do a search and you will find several more opinions that will basically lead you to the same conclusion.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
So my baby is garaged, but down to high 30's at night.

How long do you let your B'ster warm up before driving off?
About 5 seconds. I just try my hardest to keep it under 3500rpm until it warms up.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:11 PM   #9

+1. Start it, drive off, keep RPMs below 3500 for a couple of miles. Idling is bad for a motor.
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:49 PM   #10

I avoid local roads with many traffic lights whenever possible after start up. The sooner I can get on the highway the sooner its up to temp.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:40 AM   #11

Its not the motor that has to warm up, its the transaxle.
howe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:28 AM   #12

Garage
This thread makes me completely reverse my warm up. I would let the car warm up for a few minutes and drive low RPM until Temp was stable. I think that I was wrong. The manual clearly states: "Do not let the engine idle to warm up" - "When starting the engine, be ready to drive..." The low RPMs until temp is up is correct but start the car and go.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:22 AM   #13

I wouldn't be happy moving off immediately, got to give the oil pump chance to get the oil circulating a bit. I normally start the car then fiddle around putting the seat belt on, about 30 seconds feels right.

The company I work for design and manufacture the Chevy engines in Indycar. The oil and water have to be to temperature before we start them as the tolerances are so tight
Old 03-01-2013, 06:39 AM   #14

Rather than worrying about the environment, or how long the engine should run before driving off in sub-freezing weather, you should be more concerned about the fact that most of these cars are on tires that should not really be used below 40 F................
Old 03-01-2013, 12:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Rather than worrying about the environment, or how long the engine should run before driving off in sub-freezing weather, you should be more concerned about the fact that most of these cars are on tires that should not really be used below 40 F................
I keep hearing that, but I don't know what all the fuss is about. My Boxster came with Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires. I bought it in November, and haven't driven in any temperatures above 40 degrees F. yet (hopefully it'll get above 40 here before the end of March ). I've used it in temps as low as 8 degrees F, on dry pavement, and the tires were fine. It's the same concept as using all-season or snow tires on snowy or icy roads. You have to use some common sense when accelerating, braking and cornering, just like you would on snow or ice, even with the best snow tires. Does that mean the tires work as well as they would above 40? No. So just slow down and enjoy your Boxster. Sorry about the thread hijack, since this was originally about warming up the engine.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:28 PM   #16

Quote:
True, if you're using high-performance summer tires all year long. But I couldn't stand not driving my Box, so I got some all-season radials and a second set of rims and swap 'em out each fall and spring. I suspect a lot of people do something similar.

2000 Boxster S, Speed Yellow, Michelin AS/3 tires, 60,000 miles...
... and climbing.
OldBlevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:49 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe B View Post
I keep hearing that, but I don't know what all the fuss is about. My Boxster came with Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires. I bought it in November, and haven't driven in any temperatures above 40 degrees F. yet (hopefully it'll get above 40 here before the end of March ). I've used it in temps as low as 8 degrees F, on dry pavement, and the tires were fine. It's the same concept as using all-season or snow tires on snowy or icy roads. You have to use some common sense when accelerating, braking and cornering, just like you would on snow or ice, even with the best snow tires. Does that mean the tires work as well as they would above 40? No. So just slow down and enjoy your Boxster. Sorry about the thread hijack, since this was originally about warming up the engine.
Many "summer performance" tires turn nearly dangerous at temps below 30F; we have had more than one customer do significant damage to their cars when summer tires suddenly lost grip ("like being on ice" is the typical comment) on clear, dry roads in the cold. It is no small thing, and one of the reasons tires have temperature usage ranges as well as load ranges.............

As we service the cars year round, I can attest that the tires do tend to break away suddenly and without warning when driven in the cold.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:09 PM   #18

Quote:
Many "summer performance" tires turn nearly dangerous at temps below 30F; we have had more than one customer do significant damage to their cars when summer tires suddenly lost grip ("like being on ice" is the typical comment) on clear, dry roads in the cold. It is no small thing, and one of the reasons tires have temperature usage ranges as well as load ranges.............

As we service the cars year round, I can attest that the tires do tend to break away suddenly and without warning when driven in the cold.
Like I said, drive them like you were on slippery snow or ice with snow tires, and you should be just fine. Push them too hard in the cold and they'll break loose and slide.

Last edited by Joe B; 03-01-2013 at 02:13 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:26 PM   #19

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimbus117 View Post
I wouldn't be happy moving off immediately, got to give the oil pump chance to get the oil circulating a bit. I normally start the car then fiddle around putting the seat belt on, about 30 seconds feels right.

The company I work for design and manufacture the Chevy engines in Indycar. The oil and water have to be to temperature before we start them as the tolerances are so tight
Nimbus,
I find it interesting that you have a quote from American journalist Ambrose Bierce writing about the horrific times during the U.S. civil war (War is God's way of teaching Americans about geography. -- Ambrose Bierce). I can only imagine the endless miles he traveled, mostly walking, carrying a rifle and backpack, and enduring the wicked hot and freezing cold climates. Obviously he was a religious man that believed God created that war. So why are you touched or fascinated by his quote?

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:39 PM   #20
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Generally I allow for the revs to settle before I take off after the car has been sitting a while. Normally it's 30-90 seconds or so.

2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote