Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 02:37 PM   #21

It's called IMS Solution and it only for single row bearing cars.

thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:42 PM   #22

I have a 2001 986 with 56,000 miles. The IMS issue is always in the back of my mind as well.

I am very close to just getting the LN upgrade. The only reason I have not so far is because I am considering selling it in the next 1-2 years for a newer Boxster or Cayman; but there lies the question: It's a gamble with each passing mile and month. But how much of a gamble is the question, no one really knows. It's possible it will go its entire life without an issue, it's possible it will happen on the next drive.
rondocap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:27 AM   #23

Garage
This is not only my first Pcar, but my first car that I paid over $1000 for. If I grenade the motor, then I'll have to sell it as a roller and all I'll have are the wonderful memories and the sadness that it won't be replaced anytime soon. I have pretty awesome luck with cars, considering I usually only pay $500-$999 for a car and I get 5-6 years out of them with minimal repair costs. But It's easy to gamble on a car that costs two weeks pay.

I don't have a Porsche wrench, but have several recommendations from friends who really don't know much about Porsches. With the knowledge I have from this board, I'll be setting up "interviews" with the local shops and make my determination after that, whether I'll buy the parts or let them order them for me or maybe even head to the dealership. I definetely don't want to get my car back with my new fancy clutch and jump on the accelerator and have the motor blow with no recourse.

CoBeerToad is offline   Reply With Quote