Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 01:25 AM   #1

Bought these wheels yesterday

Well gone and done it. After a 390 mile round trip and some serious haggling i am the new owner of these Carerra wheels

Fronts are 8J ET 50 fitted with 225/40 18
Rears are 10J ET 65 fitted with 285/30 18

Tyres are Pirelli PZero Rosso ..Nearly new..so tyres are worth that what i paid alone!
They are genuine Porsche and have the silver caps aswell

I am aware the rear ET is not ideal, but will hopefully fit with the use of a 20mm spacer, fronts should be fine.
Can get some spacers and 50mm extended bolts over here for around £50

Early morning here in UK, so going to do what i do best and give them a damn good clean up. They are pretty dirty , but underneath look unmarked

Will get the jack out and have a trial fit to see where they are....Hopefully my efforts will pay off.......If not its hello Ebay i guess?

Will keep you posted..

Attached Images

Porsche Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:38 AM   #2

Garage
Be careful with choosing the correct size lug bolts. If you use ones that are too long, they will protrude into the e-brake assembly and cause havoc !
Old 02-20-2013, 07:05 AM   #3

Love those wheels. I had them on my 993 and added them to the Boxster. I am not a wheel expert, but the off set on the Boxster S wheels are 50 front and 52 Rears. Also, the rears on the Boxster wheels are 9 inches wide. I am afraid with the additional width and off set of these wheels you are going to stick out too far in the rear. Good luck and keep us posted.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:51 AM   #4

Is that the wide body Carrea or narrow body fit? I know that many here have fitted the narrow body Carrera wheels to their boxsters with spacers. I have 997 Turbo replicas with a spacer kit (with longer bolts) from wheeldynamics -- paid about $200. I only run them during winter since I don't like to run performance tires for autocross/DE with spacers. Well at least that was the advice I was given by my mechanic who works on many track cars.

Either way, those factory Carrera wheels are expensive, so if you got a deal you can get some good money for them. I tried replacing just one recently and the cheapest I could find was $500 for a used one that still needed to be repainted (another $150). Even the Italian replicas are expensive now. They used to go for about $700 on Ebay and now go for around $1200. I guess many who buy a 996 Carrera or 986 Boxster want to upgrade from 17" wheels and the supply for this particular style is now very limited.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 02-20-2013 at 08:35 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:13 AM   #5

Garage
A 10 inch wheel will fit. You just have to bring the offfset down to +45 to +40.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:51 PM   #6

Errr it dont work!!

Had a good wash and clean up with the wheels and came up a treat...Just shows what a bit of elbow grease can do...

In with the jack and up in the air...off with the rear wheels...and thats about as far as it got!!
Thought i would size up and see what i am up against...Managed to hold the wheel in situ, just about...but just does not look right..!

With a 15-20mm spacer needed the wheels are just gonna sit out too far..
Not a good look me thinks.!!!!
That darn ET65 is just toooooooooo big for a Boxster with 10" rims

So bit of a waste of a journey...but a learning curve methinks.. Didnt like the look of the 30 profile rubber on the rears too..

So going to stick with 40 profile tyres front and rear.....Sick of looking at wheels now??
Have sold my originals so dont want to hold the buyer up too long.

Have decided to go for the OZ Alleggerita HLT Titanuim Tech
Fronts
8J with 235/40 18 ET50

rears
10J with 265/40 18 ET40

Bit more money than i wanted to spend..but should make a few bucks on the sale of
the Lightweights hopefully.. Thinking of looking around 1400$ in your currency..
The Pirelli Tyres are virtualy brand new too

Has anyone got the Oz wheels fitted ?? Should look nice on an Artic Silver Boxster

Old 02-20-2013, 05:59 PM   #7

Managed to find a cpl of pics of Oz wheels..

Hey its 3am in the morning over here....im going to bed...nighty nite
Attached Images

Old 02-20-2013, 06:44 PM   #8

Garage
Bummer, but you have to try! I do love the OZ wheels though, in fact I like them a bit better than the Carerra wheels. I was looking at the OZ's as well, so nothing ventured, nothing gained! I think in the long run you will be very happy with the way it turned out
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:10 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche Pete View Post
Had a good wash and clean up with the wheels and came up a treat...Just shows what a bit of elbow grease can do...

In with the jack and up in the air...off with the rear wheels...and thats about as far as it got!!
Thought i would size up and see what i am up against...Managed to hold the wheel in situ, just about...but just does not look right..!

With a 15-20mm spacer needed the wheels are just gonna sit out too far..
Not a good look me thinks.!!!!
That darn ET65 is just toooooooooo big for a Boxster with 10" rims

So bit of a waste of a journey...but a learning curve methinks.. Didnt like the look of the 30 profile rubber on the rears too..

So going to stick with 40 profile tyres front and rear.....Sick of looking at wheels now??
Have sold my originals so dont want to hold the buyer up too long.

Fronts
8J with 235/40 18 ET50

rears
10J with 265/40 18 ET40

Bit more money than i wanted to spend..but should make a few bucks on the sale of
the Lightweights hopefully.. Thinking of looking around 1400$ in your currency..
The Pirelli Tyres are virtualy brand new too

Has anyone got the Oz wheels fitted ?? Should look nice on an Artic Silver Boxster

I'm running 10" rears 285/35 with 65 offset and 17mm spacers
Looks and works great
Planning to go up to 21mm for wider look
And that's on lowered suspension by about 1"
golonaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:13 PM   #10

I was going to say, did you try shorter spacers? no spacers? How much clearance is there with the strut tower?
Old 02-21-2013, 04:07 AM   #11

Garage
A 10 inch wheel with a +45 offset (even with a 285 tire) shouldn't protrude beyond the fender lip like that. Something is not right here ? Are you sure that the offset on those wheels are +65 ?
Old 02-21-2013, 04:15 AM   #12

Garage
Fronts
8J with 235/40 18 ET50

rears
10J with 265/40 18 ET40

If you're currently experiencing a fitment problem with the carrera wheels, then you're going to have an even greater problem with these OZ wheels - because they have an even more aggressive offset. Something isn't right here ? Are you sure about the specs of those carrera lights ?

Last edited by Johnny Danger; 02-21-2013 at 04:17 AM.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:24 AM   #13

Agreed..65 offset would pull the wheels in, I think you might be backwards on how you're thinking offset numbers work..the higher the number the more inbound the wheel will sit..lower number, the more it protrudes out. Your 40ET on the OZ wheels would have the rear wheel stick out 25mm more than the carrera wheels if they were truly an ET of 65. Something doesn't seem right out back?
I've spent a lot of time calculating wheels in the past to make them fit. Johnny Danger seems to be wheel guru in here, I would have some chats with him before you order another set of rims!

Last edited by 58ceramicgreen; 02-21-2013 at 08:32 AM.
58ceramicgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:51 AM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58ceramicgreen View Post
Agreed..65 offset would pull the wheels in, I think you might be backwards on how you're thinking offset numbers work..the higher the number the more inbound the wheel will sit..lower number, the more it protrudes out. Your 40ET on the OZ wheels would have the rear wheel stick out 25mm more than the carrera wheels if they were truly an ET of 65. Something doesn't seem right out back?
I've spent a lot of time calculating wheels in the past to make them fit. Johnny Danger seems to be wheel guru in here, I would have some chats with him before you order another set of rims!
I'm beginning to wonder if he's not using an 11 inch wheel ? Even though an 11 inch is not designed to fit a 986 boxster, given the very high offset of the wheel and the fact that the vehicle is at factory ride height, it could conceivably fit. That might explain why it's outside of the wheel well ?
Old 02-21-2013, 09:12 AM   #15

I have the same Carrera rims (10x65, 8x50) on my 2003 S. They are mounted with 10mm spacers front and 23mm rear, to bring them out to the edge of the wheel wells. They also fit without the spacers.
Attached Images

Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:35 AM   #16

Yeah tbh no ones more confused than me..

Ok... so have double checked the rear wheels...most def 10J ET65

This is The best i could get them on the hub, as they foul tight up against the struts

Managed to get a few wheel nuts on , mainly to see what i am up against before spending anymore money out on spacers bolts etc.,

This is pictured without any spacers..and poss a 5mm gap between the hub
(the closest i could pull it in).. Reckon would need a 15mm+ spacer so it clears the strut etc.,...so would push even further out

Car is a 2001 `S`
Will hold on ordering the Oz wheels i think until can get advice..

The bottom photos show differnce between stock 8.5J and new wheel
Old 02-21-2013, 11:55 AM   #17

Just measured across the tyre with a ruler...and is a whopping.. 11 1/2 inches

The Shape of the Pirelli Pzero Rosso tyres possibly are a factor to this as they have a good rim protector...and the fact they are 285/30

But even without that i couldnt see that making a huge differnce???
Old 02-21-2013, 12:02 PM   #18

I didnt realize you bought 285 size tires. I believe thats your problem as 275 is the largest I have heard fitting on the Boxster. These rims are typically mated with 265 size rear tires.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:23 PM   #19

Ahhh so?? Think we may be getting somewhere here.. Yes.

Think i will ask my local tyre place to pop the tyre off..Then take back home and see how the rim fits then..

In theory the 285/30 tyre is adding 1 1/2 " fairly significant
Will see how that fits then..?

Will then be a task of replacing these with a 265/40 pair of tyres
Going to stick with 40 profile tyres as i personally think they look better and the
ride is better too..plus they fill the arches better
The front wheels are fitted with 225/40 so thats good. Will see now if Pirelli do a 265 to match?

Would love to use these wheels if i can..I love em..and .the best deal i could get on a set of Oz Alleggerita HLT with Falken rubber is £1750 thats $2700
So would save me a packet !!
Old 02-21-2013, 02:10 PM   #20

My tires are 235 /40-18 and 275/35-18 Michelin Pilot Super Sports (maybe that's why the rears clear). However, a 285 is only 10 mm wider than a 275, (a little less than 1/2"), and 20 mm wider than a 265 (about 3/4"), not 1 1/2" wider. I'd prefer 225 and 265.

Last edited by Joe B; 02-21-2013 at 02:13 PM.
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote