Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 05:59 AM   #41

I don't have to think about it, hubby has a 911 996. We drive around in it, it has a different feel. Very powerful, more torque (when he accelerates, I get pushed back into the seat back by G forces) and lots of shifting going on.

If that sounds like fun, then you should get one. They are not that expensive, my boxster actually cost $2K more than his, but mine is much newer, but we had similar mileage. We got it at a Lexus dealer, if that helps. Porsche dealers are ridiculous.

If you prefer precise handling, smoother ride, and not such a low seat, stay with the boxster. I like the roadster feel of a boxster, I like the heritage of a roadster.

I don't get the love for the air cooled 911's. I really don't. We had one, and the engine overheated to 200+ in traffic jams, there was no A/C to speak of, it really didn't have much torque, even when we put in a 3.0 liter engine. It had body rust from being driven in snow/salt by the previous owner. I just don't see it. Maybe if you live in a cool climate, it's better . . .

Last edited by Porsche Chick; 02-09-2013 at 06:02 AM.
Porsche Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:52 PM   #42

I have limited seat time in the 911, but for those that have driven one extensively, be it the 996 or 997, what would you characterize as immediate differences that you feel when driving compared to a similar year Boxster?

Porsche Chick above illustrated the bigger power and torque, but what else? Is it any softer or more "GT" like than the Boxster? Bigger seats and more cabin space? Same exit/entry height?

I know that in a corner, my Boxster feels nice and light, and I can almost imagine the engine in the middle - it feels very neutral. How about the 911? Do you feel the back move more or the weight bias?

I still find it funny that if you sit in the same year Boxster and 911, that the interior is virtually identical with little to differentiate it. I think that's good and bad; good for Boxster owners, but maybe not so good if you've paid considerably more for a 911.

Oddly, the two 911's that I remember driving briefly I was not so sure on. I drove a 2000 Carrera, and the biggest thing I remember is how many rattles it had. Obviously this one was amiss somewhere and not everyone is like it. The second was a 997 Turbo, with sport chrono and tiptronic. (2007) I remember how much torque it had - you floor it, and you get a huge boost in power, very impressive. But at the same time, I was not excited by it - exhaust was muted, the tiptronic felt a little bit lame, and it was too easy to just point and shoot drive. Then I drove a Boxster, and loved the high revving racy engine - not even remotely as fast, but more visceral. I'm sure I'd prefer a NA 911, too - maybe a base or S Carrera.

Last edited by rondocap; 03-12-2013 at 04:56 PM.
rondocap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:43 PM   #43

I love them all equally.

Porsche Production Models
Old 03-12-2013, 08:41 PM   #44

I've heard it said, and for the most part agree - the only real 911s are the air cooled and the GTs. These cars have race-ready engines. The other newer 911s are overpriced passenger cars for poseurs.

My boxster handles better than my 84 911, but the 911 isn't going lose oil pressure in a sweeper or blow an IMS, coolant tank, water pump, etc, and gets more complements.
brp987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:56 PM   #45

Garage
I'd love to own a 993 one day, and I absolutely love the 996 Mk II style headlights. Being a young guy, it will be a while until I own either, but it's going to happen.

Nothing more hallmark than an air-cooled 911!

Stirs the soul!

I wouldn't track the 911 though. Once you go mid-engine on a track, you don't go back!
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:49 AM   #46

Garage
every time I walk thru the garage. The 911 has a different feel and handling, but in my opinion no better, just different. My 996 is a C4 which of course has the obvious advantage in winter or rain, but is certainly tail heavy. On a dry twisty road I prefer the boxster and still can run with the big guys.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:37 AM   #47

I had a 2002 Boxster S, I now have an air cooled 993 911 coupe, 2 totally different cars in all respects. If I were to choose a more modern 911 it without a doubt would be a DFI 997.2 model w/o IMS, probably a C4S version. For now I am happy with the 993 and do not see myself making any changes for quite awhile if ever, it is frankly that cool of a car IMO.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:18 AM   #48

Garage
The cars/brand that I lusted after at age 16 are still many of the cars that I want the most today. When I went looking for the first car I was going to pay for I drove a 914 and fell in love. Couldn't afford it so I bought the next closest mid engine car I could, Fiat X1/9. My ultimate car today is still a 914 but now it has six cylinders.

Porsche has the same problem as Harley Davidson, a design that many fell in love with when they were younger and could only dream about a purchase. Today we are all older and financially better off so our dreams are becoming more affordable.

Harleys were all air cooled V twins and it seems like every attempt at joining the future (water cooled V-rod) has met with a luke warm response from the buying public. It's not the concept we fell in love with at 16. I still want to ride off into the sunset on a Captain America bike.

Porsche built it's reputation on a rear engine air cooled platform and like Harley is having trouble maintaining a corporate image and I feel advancing technologically. They managed to get past the air cooled thing but appear to be having a hard time with the rear engine portion of the package.

I will always wanted a mid engine car. When it takes electronics to keep a car competitive I look away from a rear engine platform.

Here we are discussing owning a mid vs. rear engine cars when the company makes so much money from selling a big SUV. I still can't get my head wrapped around that one.

Gary
gj3ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:31 AM   #49

gj3ny, that's very true - it is funny how many more Cayennes Porsche sells compared to the Boxster or Cayman.

To be fair though, I did drive a 2011 Cayenne Turbo - and for an SUV, it really was a lot of fun and pretty good to drive. Does not offer that same visceral feeling as a sports car Porsche, though.
rondocap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:35 AM   #50

Garage
I don't think about one in the sense of buying one because I am not sure how realistic that would be. I remember back to the 74 911 I grew up with and would love to hav one again for nastalgia sake. I would love to have a "newer" air cooled 911 too. That shape/design/engine for me is just legend...(wait for it)...ary.

If I ever do get one though, it will be in addition to the Boxster. This car is just too much fun

Ka is a wheel, and everything is 19
Coffinhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:36 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
My 996 is a C4 which of course has the obvious advantage in winter or rain, but is certainly tail heavy. On a dry twisty road I prefer the boxster and still can run with the big guys.
It's always interesting to see the 996 C4 and 996 Turbo on an autocross lap and see how over-engineering the car for the normal roads works very much against it in high performance setting. The computer senses even a little bit of slippin' and slidin' in the rear (aka fun) and shifts power from the rear grippies to the front where it produces even more understeer (not fun)... more than it already has... which absolutely kills the laptime. And there's no fixing that. Whatever understeer issues you get from that contraption on the track just become magnified in autox. But the wide body is cool.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 03-13-2013 at 09:48 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:59 AM   #52

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondocap View Post
The Boxster is fantastic, and real car enthusiasts know that. But surely, the 911 shadow is always hanging down on anything Porsche as that is the "Icon".

How often do you consider or compare your Boxster to the 911?

I do sometimes. Heck, I'll search for a nice 09+ 911, and see that it is still over $50k. Then I see a nice Cayman or Boxster 09, for $15k less, and it discourages me from the 911.

Even in my 986, everytime I sit down in it, I think to myself...996 interior is basically the same, all you're missing is a little power and less balanced handling.
I never think about it, the engine is in the wrong place.

derfo is offline   Reply With Quote