Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 10:53 AM   #81

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche Chick View Post
Oh, ye of little faith . . .

I drove a manual Celica for six years. I loved that car.

BUT there is a big difference between a manual Toyota and a manual Porsche. You guys might not realize it, but the Porsche clutch is a monster. :troll:

It is really hard to depress, if you don't have muscular legs. It can be very fatiguing for a woman. I've had this conversation with a friend of mine (who bought herself a new 911), and she opted for the PDK. She test drove a manual, and after about an hour, her knee ached. I've driven hubby's manual 911, and it's just a bit difficult after a while. Which drains the enjoyment right out of it.

I've also had the PDK versus manual conversation with hubby, and he wouldn't give up a manual if you paid him. I think it's just a personal preference thing.

I said it once, and I'll say it again; when hubby and I race, he's over there shifting like mad, while I'm putting on lipstick. He only beats me by less than half a car, even with all the extra HP. Oh, and mine doesn't "lag".
Dang women drivers

Ka is a wheel, and everything is 19
Coffinhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:34 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
very interesting. I guess it makes sense to me looking back now at the first PDK's which had a very distinct "lag". It was addressed in the S models for some cars where I believe drivers, Cayman S specifically, reported that the gear change was much prompter. I guess you could say that lag highlighted the dynamic, as you point out, of the driver "requesting" the shift, the computer mulling it over, and then obliging the human a delayed shift. Wholly unacceptable in a sports car imho. Since then, PDK apparently has been refined to the point where you've been duped into believing that you are actually shifting the gear because the computer is much better at creating that "virtual reality" of sorts. Purely mechanical vs. automated.
Thanks for illustrating this big change in driving that few have really fully considered.
After driving a 2012 Panamera with PDK on a number of occasions, I can tell you that it is faster than any human could ever be.Think simi-auto vs bolt action. My biggest complaint is that 1st is so short on the 7 spd that the driver has to ultra quick on the up-shift to avoid bouncing repeatedly against the rev limiter. It is much like shifting a sport bike, except that every down shift is perfectly rev matched for for smooth and instant engagement. If maximum performance is the goal, there is no question that PDK is superior. If maximum fun is the goal, I'm still a fan of a traditional manual tranny but it's close. On the one hand, PDK is very gratifying in that you can accomplish things that you can't with a traditional manual (like up-shifting at 6000rpm in the middle of a power-slide)...on the other hand, a well executed heel & toe at the right time is gratifying in that you know you and you alone are driving the car well.

Last edited by shadrach74; 03-05-2013 at 01:12 PM.
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:40 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffinhunter View Post
Dang women drivers
Hey, it's a Porsche!

A girl's gotta look good . . .
Old 03-05-2013, 01:10 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche Chick View Post
...the Porsche clutch is a monster. It is really hard to depress, if you don't have muscular legs.
Well, right there's your problem! Hit the dancefloor! :dance:

NoGaBiker is offline   Reply With Quote