Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 05:54 PM   #41

Leaving out the maintenance concerns, if I look at it from a purely functional point of view I can see how the PDK could be easy to live with. I've got some stick time in a Panamara PDK and after getting used to it, I can say it's better at shifting then I am, but not by a big enough margin to matter to me. I truly enjoy properly managing 3 pedals wit 2 feet simultaneously. I like the short, crisp "snick" of my SSK'd 986S. If you don't know how to heal and toe, a PDK will open up a "wholenuther" world of performance to your driving. If you do know how to properly heal and toe, you'll likely admire how we'll it changes gears, but soon miss the satisfaction that comes from those rare moments with a manual tranny when you get everything just right... brake, clutch, neutral, blip, downshift, throttle, all while near threshold braking into the apex. It doesn't workout that way often (for me), but when it does, you realize that no "Flappy paddle" (hat tip to Clarkeson) gear box will ever make you feel that way.

Also, I'm inclined to believe I'd like PDK more if they'd give it a traditional "H" pattern to move the shifter through... I hate the +/- stick on manumatics.

shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:06 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp17 View Post
No PDK for me. Just think of all the other mods you could have if you skipped out on that one. Maybe for the dedicated auto-cross crowd, I see a point.

And it seems that that might be the majority of the cars being bought. But like JFP said, its going to be ugly! It might be hard finding a 981S manual in a few years. But ESPECIALLY in a few years we won't have to worry about these young kids stealing it for a joy ride.

Porshe Chick no offense but I don't even allow the chewing of Gum in my car.
No offense taken.

But what can really happen with gum? This ? Lol. But I have kids, so I know that's an actual possibility.

It brings to mind the time hubby ate a McD's caesar salad in the car. They forgot to give him a fork, so he used two straws as chopsticks (a bit bendy, those). While driving.

He didn't drop a bit, but, no, it wasn't in my car.

Last edited by Porsche Chick; 02-11-2013 at 06:15 AM.
Porsche Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:22 AM   #43

Then...no
Now...yes!

Bo
Motobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:49 PM   #44

I simply have to chime in here. After 6 years of driving, autocrossing, and racing a 986S with a 6 speed manual, my daily driver is now a PDK C4S.
So I am probably one of the few (or maybe the only) posters who have actually extensive seat time in a PDK car. And I can tell you: PDK is the best of both worlds. Normally I leave the PDK in manual mode and shift using the paddler shifters. However, when I am stuck in stop and go traffic I simply switch to automatic mode and don't have to worry about the clutch. And in manual mode it's just as engaging as if you have a stick and a clutch. It's the best of both worlds - seriously.
Track season starts end of March and I will do one session in manual only, one session in in Sport Plus mode in fully automatic and one session in Sports mode, with me doing the shifting when necessary. I am pretty sure that if there's any difference it will be to the PDK's advantage. The argument that you are no longer in control with a PDK makes as much sense as not being in control without torsion bars or carburetors or drum brakes.
Guys and Gals, drive a PDK car, move the shift lever to the left (in manual) and then shift (hopefully with paddles, as the standard Porsche "Rubik's cube logic" buttons suck big time) and then please don't tell me that you felt you were not in control all the time....
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:00 PM   #45

Chris - you make good points. I have driven a few PDK cars as well, and I came to the conclusion in every case that yes it is faster, and more capable. At times I am sure it is more fun too, since you can focus on other aspects of driving.

But, and it's an interesting note: As a more recent manual driver, even I am having so much fun just physically moving the gear shifter around, learning heel-toe, learning to properly downshift, etc.

I have a BMW with paddle shifters as well - 335i. It's definitely fun at times, but the manual gives you that physical interaction that honestly the PDK cannot replace. So I see why people still like manuals. There is a reward element in doing a nice downshift and shifting smoothly.

Aside from that, PDK is definitely superior technically.

Honestly a manual works great in my base Boxster and in the newer Porsche base cars I have driven. When I do eventually go to PDK, I think for me it needs 2 things to keep it exciting: An "S" version of the car, and the sports chrono pack so you can get the faster shifts in sport plus mode. That way it gives you a new level of speed and excitement.

Otherwise, the manual really makes great and fun cars out of even the most seemingly underpowered Porsches.
rondocap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:16 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZang View Post
I simply have to chime in here. After 6 years of driving, autocrossing, and racing a 986S with a 6 speed manual, my daily driver is now a PDK C4S.
So I am probably one of the few (or maybe the only) posters who have actually extensive seat time in a PDK car. And I can tell you: PDK is the best of both worlds.
Sorry, but PDK is not the best of both worlds. Because it's not a manual at all and it doesn't give you the pleasures and involvement of a manual. It's a completely different technology and experience.

All you do is press a button. If you enjoy the process of controlling the clutch and rev matching the shifts, tough. Because the computer does it all for you.

I've spent plenty of time with PDK Porsches. Have driven probably five or six different models including a week with a PDK Cayman, so more than just 15 minute test drives.

But frankly, you don't need to drive one to know it's not the best of both worlds.

PDK is very good, but it's silly to pretend it's the best of both worlds. It doesn't offer the control and involvement of a manual gearbox. It's that simple.

PDK is something very different from a manual. If you like it, great. But to characterise it as the best of both worlds will give people who haven't tried it completely the wrong idea. It's not a manual gearbox at all.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:22 AM   #47

Garage
Here is one of those "OLD School guys" again. Love the dance, love the shifting. I grade myself on every up shift and down shift I make. Smoothness, correct revs, all that goes into it. Definietly forces me to be completly involved with the driving experince. I know the new auto-clutch transmissions are going to be faster and quicker. Maybe they should put in a Placebo Clutch pedal to make us "Old Timers" feel more at home
Old 02-28-2013, 11:25 AM   #48
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pothole View Post
Sorry, but PDK is not the best of both worlds. Because it's not a manual at all and it doesn't give you the pleasures and involvement of a manual. It's a completely different technology and experience.

All you do is press a button. If you enjoy the process of controlling the clutch and rev matching the shifts, tough. Because the computer does it all for you.

I've spent plenty of time with PDK Porsches. Have driven probably five or six different models including a week with a PDK Cayman, so more than just 15 minute test drives.

But frankly, you don't need to drive one to know it's not the best of both worlds.

PDK is very good, but it's silly to pretend it's the best of both worlds. It doesn't offer the control and involvement of a manual gearbox. It's that simple.

PDK is something very different from a manual. If you like it, great. But to characterise it as the best of both worlds will give people who haven't tried it completely the wrong idea. It's not a manual gearbox at all.

+1 Everything Pothole said was right on the money.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:40 AM   #49

Have to agree. I would love PDK on my next Cayenne or Turbo Carrera (as long as the warranty is lifetime) but on a roadster? No way.
I'd have to do a truck load of daily driving to even consider getting rid of the lever.

As for peformance, sure the machine will be be quicker than the man, so why not just go fully automatic like some guys in F1 who don't even bother to shift any of their gears? That's where things are headed. But I see lots of guys looking for the PDK to put them closer to FTD bragging rights and that coveted $5 trophy at the next autocross or DE Cup. Laptimes go up, driver talent down.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:21 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.fro View Post
When I bought my car in 2006 I knew it would eventually become a street legal race car (no trailer). In 2009 I got the chance to drive a new 911 s with sport chrono PDK. The PDK does everything I wish I could do, better than I ever will, with dead on consistency. In autocross, fastest time of the day often comes down to hundredths of a second. I wish I had the PDK!
+1 on that
Old 02-28-2013, 06:41 PM   #51

Quote:

While I agree with much of what you've said, I take issue with the bolder statement. PDK is in fact a manual gear box with automated clutch and throttle inputs. It in fact has clutch and friction plates (2 sets). It is very fun to drive and is fast and more precise than almost any driver could be. I still find the manual tranny to be more gratifying. It's like putting a plane on auto pilot, it will hold a course more precisely and fly an ILS with no deviation, but it does not compare to the feeling one gets from hand flying well which one will lose the skill to do if always using technology to help.

I imagine people said the same thing about synchromesh when it first was introduced. Certainly there are not many folks that have a clue about double clutching anymore and on some level someone who drives a crash box well has superior skill too someone who can't.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:03 PM   #52
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck W. View Post
Me either. Love the six speed.
This......
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:45 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrach74 View Post
While I agree with much of what you've said, I take issue with the bolder statement. PDK is in fact a manual gear box with automated clutch and throttle inputs. It in fact has clutch and friction plates (2 sets). It is very fun to drive and is fast and more precise than almost any driver could be. I still find the manual tranny to be more gratifying. It's like putting a plane on auto pilot, it will hold a course more precisely and fly an ILS with no deviation, but it does not compare to the feeling one gets from hand flying well which one will lose the skill to do if always using technology to help.

I imagine people said the same thing about synchromesh when it first was introduced. Certainly there are not many folks that have a clue about double clutching anymore and on some level someone who drives a crash box well has superior skill too someone who can't.

Sorry, chap, PDK is NOT a manual gearbox. Period. It's automatic.

What's it's not is a torque converter automatic. It's an automatic with two clutches etc. It changes gears automatically. It does not allow for manual changes. It's an automatic.

Moreover I don't care if it's faster and more precise than a human driver. That's an argument for having the car do everything as you just sit there as a passenger. It's an argument for the ultimate driver's car being one where you actually do no driving at all. And thus it's a non argument!

The synchro thing is a complete red herring too and one that people often bring up in a futile attempt to justify PDK. Synchro is just a more refined mechanism. It's doesn't take control and involvement away from the driver and hand it over to a computer and servos.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:44 AM   #54

Porsche just announced the new GT3 models and they only come with PDK :-)

Just saying....
Old 03-04-2013, 12:56 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
Have to agree. I would love PDK on my next Cayenne or Turbo Carrera (as long as the warranty is lifetime) but on a roadster? No way.
I'd have to do a truck load of daily driving to even consider getting rid of the lever.
See, I feel just the opposite -- I'd have to be doing a lot more track work than I do anymore to consider moving to a PDK. Traffic is the very thing that would keep me in a manual Porsche forever. Why? Because there is NOTHING ELSE TO DO when you are stuck in traffic. Getting to slip the clutch and ease forward repeatedly is the only "skill" you're getting to enjoy/exercise/display that day. If traffic is light or nonexistent, or you're on a track, you can enjoy so many other aspects of driving that it might just make up for the loss of the clutch pedal.

NoGaBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:02 PM   #56

Quote:
Sorry, chap, PDK is NOT a manual gearbox. Period. It's automatic.

What's it's not is a torque converter automatic. It's an automatic with two clutches etc. It changes gears automatically. It does not allow for manual changes. It's an automatic.

What? Not sure if you understand how a PDK works, but it most certainly does allow for manual changes. You move a stick and the gear changes. Only when you move the stick. Not before, not after, and not without you moving the stick. That is a manual (Latin: manualis: "of or belonging to the hand") action, not an automatic one.

Now I am no apologist for the PDK and I absolutely prefer the 6-speed, but the PDK does, in fact, "allow for manual changes." It also has an automatic mode that allows you to make no manual changes.

From reading various posts I'm not sure a lot of people understand this.
NoGaBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:59 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGaBiker View Post
What? Not sure if you understand how a PDK works, but it most certainly does allow for manual changes. You move a stick and the gear changes. Only when you move the stick. Not before, not after, and not without you moving the stick. That is a manual (Latin: manualis: "of or belonging to the hand") action, not an automatic one.

Now I am no apologist for the PDK and I absolutely prefer the 6-speed, but the PDK does, in fact, "allow for manual changes." It also has an automatic mode that allows you to make no manual changes.

From reading various posts I'm not sure a lot of people understand this.
Yeah, I think it's you who doesn't understand how PDK works.

You do realise that when you move that "stick" all you are doing is sending a signal to a computer. Nothing you manually manipulate is of any consequence. You may as well be pressing a small button.

In a manual gearbox, it's the movement of your hand directly connected to mechanisms that deselects one gear and selects another. Same for the clutch, albeit the physical connection is hydraulic.

There is nothing manual about PDK. You press a button, a signal is sent to a computer, it decides what to do. And then it does it.

PDK does not allow for manual changes. It does the changes.

Get it, now?
Old 03-04-2013, 02:21 PM   #58

Quote:

You do realise that when you move that "stick" all you are doing is sending a signal to a computer. Nothing you manually manipulate is of any consequence. You may as well be pressing a small button.

In a manual gearbox, it's the movement of your hand directly connected to mechanisms that deselects one gear and selects another. Same for the clutch, albeit the physical connection is hydraulic.

There is nothing manual about PDK. You press a button, a signal is sent to a computer, it decides what to do. And then it does it.

Get it, now?
I've gotten it from the get go. I see your point, but you've missed mine. What I get now is that this is a semantic argument. It's no matter, we can agree that we both prefer to operate the right pedal ourselves...
Old 03-04-2013, 02:26 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrach74 View Post
I've gotten it from the get go. I see your point, but you've missed mine. What I get now is that this is a semantic argument. It's no matter, we can agree that we both prefer to operate the right pedal ourselves...
What did I miss?
Old 03-04-2013, 02:38 PM   #60

Quote:

Get it, now?
It only "decides what to do" in so much that it decides precisely how much to blip the throttle. It does not over ride the driver unless the driver does something stupid like try to make a downshift that would exceed redline. It is quite possible to be ham fisted with PDK and smack into the rev limiter.

The automatic on my lexus has a manual linkage to the tranny via the shifter. If I manually select first there is a physical linkage between the selector and the tranny. By your logic, is my GS 400 a manual? If so, you should let Lexus know, because they never offered the car with a manual transmission...

I take that the air shifters utilized on racing machines are automatics in your mind?