Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2015, 04:27 PM   #81

Garage
I'm glad you finally got it working! It must feel really good to figure it out. I know how nagging it is for me when I'm working on something like this and something isn't working right. Now that you know how to take the cluster out, changing the bulbs over to the LED color of your choice is an easy mod. Of course then you find yourself wanting to change all of the dash lights over to the new color. I've changed all mine over to blue and love it.

Old 02-28-2015, 02:37 PM   #82

Garage
I'm at the exact same spot, but with a newer generation cluster. It looks GREAT!
Im using the original board form the boxster and the 996 gauges. I've already Transplanted the two flat cable connectors for the new gauges, but no activity at all in that front. I assume they need to be powered on form the cluster itself.

Does anyone knows the two bytes I need to change to enable the Volt and oil pressure gauges? From what I've read, the bytes are different between the 2 type of clusters, but can't find any data for the new generation ones.

Thanks!
juncojones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 06:24 AM   #83

The programming for the new style cluster contains many more lines of code than the old style cluster. You can find a DIY that discusses it here: http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/47801-programming-a-carrera-instrument-cluster-for-transplant-to-a-boxster/ (If you aren't a Renntech member, send me a PM with your e-mail and I'll e-mail the instructions to you.)

I have an old style cluster and have not personally worked with the new style cluster. I think the folks who found success simply copied the entire 996 cluster code into their 986 board and changed the VIN and mileage. The code positions for those data points are known and discussed in the DIY.

Good luck.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 06:13 AM   #84
Reebuck1

Garage
996 gauges

I think you will find your answer for code bits on this post

How to - Upgrade to a 996 Instrument Cluster - How To - www.BoXa.net

Go to item #7 on the post and scroll down to where they list code bits to change.
Really great information....easy to understand.

If that does not answer your question let us know here.
Good luck !!
Reebuck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 08:01 AM   #85

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reebuck1 View Post
I think you will find your answer for code bits on this post

How to - Upgrade to a 996 Instrument Cluster - How To - www.BoXa.net

Go to item #7 on the post and scroll down to where they list code bits to change.
Really great information....easy to understand.

If that does not answer your question let us know here.
Good luck !!
That write up is for a MY2000, which is for the pre-CANbus clusters. I believe julianarevalo is asking about the newer CANbus clusters, which have more information in the EEPROM dump.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:39 PM   #86

Hey, that guy used some of my pictures. Oh well, my kitchen table top is now famous.

I may update my DIY with some of the Boxanet information. Very clever.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
Old 03-02-2015, 11:10 PM   #87

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
That write up is for a MY2000, which is for the pre-CANbus clusters. I believe julianarevalo is asking about the newer CANbus clusters, which have more information in the EEPROM dump.

Correct, Benjamin, it's a CANbus cluster, but I can't seem to find much information for these type of clusters... and I also can't wait to have those gauges on!

Julian
Old 03-03-2015, 03:47 AM   #88

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by julianarevalo View Post
Correct, Benjamin, it's a CANbus cluster, but I can't seem to find much information for these type of clusters... and I also can't wait to have those gauges on!

Julian
The link to renntech that Kevin posted seems to have the info for both old and new clusters. If your new cluster is fully functioning (no defective LCD or anything) and you are planning on using its motherboard, all you should need to do is change the mileage and vin on the new cluster. Volts and oil pressure should already be enabled. The renntech write up covers that.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:48 AM   #89
Reebuck1

Garage
Gauges

Went back to the Porsche dealer (now that I have all gauges and OBD working) to get them to turn on my DYI cruse control.........NO LUCK.
Despite changing my 986 gauge cluster's mother board (to make it think it was a 996 so it would run my 996 analog gauges) they still can not get the PIWIS to recognize or show the cruse control option so they can turn it on. Their suggestion was to re-flash the DME back to its original 986 flash. ....reprogram the cluster back to a 986 and then they can turn it on. Finally, put everything back like it is today "and they think it might work BUT NOT SURE". I have not figured out WHAT I AM GOING TO DO !!!

I was asked how my AFRs are after my motor swap and 996 ROW flash.

FRA.....1-3....at 0.93
FRA.....4-6....at 0.91

TRA.....1-3....at 0.00
TRA.....3-6....at 0.17

Ben. Where can I buy the LED bulbs to change the color in my gauge cluster???
Reebuck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 12:13 PM   #90

Garage
Assuming you want blue or white lights for the cluster, I would get them here:

SportsCarLEDs.com Instrument Panel LEDs Kit for the Porsche ® Carrera 996 & Boxster 986

Then, if you feel like changing all of the LEDs on your dash and accessory switches, read through this thread:

http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/36014-changing-color-climate-control-switch-back-lights.html

The cluster bulbs are easy. The others require you to solder at least at a decent level.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:04 PM   #91
Need For Speed

Garage
There is a reason Porsche used red for all the clusters in the car. Red is better for night vision. I wouldn't change the color.
Old 03-06-2015, 05:20 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reebuck1 View Post
Went back to the Porsche dealer (now that I have all gauges and OBD working) to get them to turn on my DYI cruse control.........NO LUCK.
My car came with cruise control so I have not worked on that modification. I glanced at the article on Pelican, and the cruise control programming is in the DME, not the EPROM on the gauge cluster. So, I understand their suggestion about the DME flash, but I'm not sure what effect the gauge cluster programming would play.

You might want to try Renntech and search on DME-related topics.

Again, good luck.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:57 PM   #93

Garage
Does anyone has an EPROM file for a new-style cluster that can share with me?? my cluster is missing tons if data, I guess someone was playing with the settings and bricked it. Now, when I connect it to my car I only get a red LCD panel.

thanks,
Old 05-31-2015, 02:41 PM   #94
Need For Speed

Garage
Just picked up this 996 cluster for $108 shipped. The clock knob isn't there, hope it's just missing and not broken. Bought it from a company on eBay, listing said "is in good, used, working condition with some scratches and normal wear. The item comes as comes as pictured."

EDIT: For you guys that have done this upgrade. Does the clock knob attach to the circuit board? I'll be using my Boxster circuit board.

Last edited by KRAM36; 05-31-2015 at 02:51 PM.
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 04:53 PM   #95

Take a look at the below thread. It may help. $100 is a killer deal for that cluster. Nice job!

Cluster Reset Stem / Shaft - 986 Series (Boxster, Boxster S) - RennTech.org Community

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 05:24 PM   #96
Need For Speed

Garage
Nice, thanks Chuck!
Old 06-01-2015, 02:35 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post
EDIT: For you guys that have done this upgrade. Does the clock knob attach to the circuit board? I'll be using my Boxster circuit board.
I'm not certain because that is a "new-style" cluster and I have an "old-style" cluster. On the "old-style" cluster the reset shaft does not attach to the circuit board. If I recall correctly, the cluster is in three layers - circuit board, gauge faces and clear plastic cover. The reset knob is attaches to the part that has the gauge faces.

I'm not sure this will help, but the clusters are made by a company called VDO. When I was trying to fix my cluster, the two VDO shops that most people seemed to think were the best were Palo Alto Speedometer and North Hollywood Speedometer. You can search for them on the Internet and obtain their contact information. If the reset buttons on Renntech don't work, they may be able to help.

Good luck.
Old 06-01-2015, 05:58 AM   #98

Garage
The clock knob is not attached to the PCB. There are three switches on the PCB which are operated with a long axes on which the knob is attached. If nothing is broken internally you can use the parts of your old cluster easily.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:00 AM   #99

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by julianarevalo View Post
Does anyone has an EPROM file for a new-style cluster that can share with me?? my cluster is missing tons if data, I guess someone was playing with the settings and bricked it. Now, when I connect it to my car I only get a red LCD panel.

thanks,
I have one file for a 996 and one for 986S. Both Row not US.
Old 06-03-2015, 03:00 AM   #100
Need For Speed

Garage
Thanks for the info.

Where did you guys get your oil pressure sensor from? So far $68.85 shipped is the cheapest I have found one.