Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 10:12 PM   #1

Got a flat tire - how to use Porsche tools?

OK, so I got a flat and had some issue with the Porsche tools. The jack I more or less figured out, but how exactly do you take the lug bolts out?

There seems to be 2 pieces in the tools, one that connects to the lug, and a handle that goes through it. Is that it? I used a lot of force and I could not get the lug nuts to budge, but it was much easier with a regular lug wrench.

Did I do something wrong or are those Porsche tools just kind of a bad and inferior to the lug wrench?

Last edited by rondocap; 01-19-2013 at 10:24 PM.
rondocap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:59 PM   #2

You can't be serious - surely the average person can loosen a wheel & change a flat tyre without posting for help on the internet.?
This has got to be a setup.....
Old 01-20-2013, 03:14 AM   #3

No, the original tools don't have much force to them. A socket and breaker bar work much better for removal, esp if they have been on for a while or some tire jockey has over torqued them. There should also be a 6" rod that's threaded on one end. This is the tire guide. You screw it into the hub and then guide the wheel into place. Not an easy job hitting the exact lug hole locations if you don't use the guide.

Porsche remedied the wimpy lug wrench situation in the 987 - they replaced the spare tire and tools with a can of goo and a wimpy air compressor.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:02 AM   #4

The stockade lug wrench is only adequate if the bolts are not over tightened. 96ftlbs is the spec, but tire shops often over do it. I was doing the rear brakes on a
Jeep Grand Cherokee last week that was so over tightened that it cracked my 17mm socket. It split right down the side...
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tinker View Post
You can't be serious - surely the average person can loosen a wheel & change a flat tyre without posting for help on the internet.?
This has got to be a setup.....
Are you suggesting that there's a problem that Ronnie Johns might be able solve?

Last edited by shadrach74; 01-20-2013 at 05:17 AM.
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:16 AM   #6

At least you have a spare tire! My 2009 comes with an over-glorified can of fix-a-flat in a styrofoam holder. If I have to use it, a replacement will cost me $900. Plus the new tire.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:53 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche Chick View Post
At least you have a spare tire! My 2009 comes with an over-glorified can of fix-a-flat in a styrofoam holder. If I have to use it, a replacement will cost me $900. Plus the new tire.
During a road trip I had a flat in the middle of Nowhere Oklahoma, a can of fix-a-flat would have been of no use, the sidewall was cut from the wheel rim to the tread.

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:22 AM   #8

I had taken my car in for a balance 2 days before, and they over tightened the wheels. It was also 25 degrees!

Rocks on the parkway, ripped right through my front tire - rock was about the size of a brick. Good thing this car has a spare.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:19 AM   #9

The tools in the kit will likely be inadequate to remove the wheel bolts if they have been overtightened, which they invariably are when a shop with impact tools works on your car.

Whenever I have tires removed at a shop, I always check the bolts, they are usually way over spec. They were so tight once I couldn't break them with a three foot breaker bar and had to take it back to the shop to have them loosen them with the impact wrench and then re-tighten with my torque wrench, and the mechanic still gave me the stink eye.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:23 AM   #10
still plays with cars...

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by san rensho View Post
The tools in the kit will likely be inadequate to remove the wheel bolts if they have been overtightened, which they invariably are when a shop with impact tools works on your car.

Whenever I have tires removed at a shop, I always check the bolts, they are usually way over spec. They were so tight once I couldn't break them with a three foot breaker bar and had to take it back to the shop to have them loosen them with the impact wrench and then re-tighten with my torque wrench, and the mechanic still gave me the stink eye.
The nerve of you... asking the tire jockey to actually use a torque wrench. I do not believe (m)any are trained to use such a complicated device. What were you thinking?

Just kidding... I once got the stink-eye too for asking exactly the same thing. Funny how they all seem to use an air impact like it was an Uzi.

Too much MW3.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:53 AM   #11
Certified Boxster Addict

A good reminder that the Porsche tools are of minimal capability and usefulness. I usually keep a small tool kit in the front trunk that includes an 18" breaker bar and lug bolt sized deep socket.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post
During a road trip I had a flat in the middle of Nowhere Oklahoma, a can of fix-a-flat would have been of no use, the sidewall was cut from the wheel rim to the tread.

Oh, yes, this scenario did occur to me when I first opened the frunk.

I really don't know what Porsche was thinking when they took away the spares. I believe the 911's don't have spares anymore either.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:51 PM   #13
SPB racer

Garage
So suggestions would be:

Even if your car didn't come with a spare see if you can fit one. My gt3 didn't but the spare from a turbo did the job.

Throw the supplied wheel brace in the dumpster and buy yourself a good quality 18mm deep socket and 18" arm. Practice standing on it to loosen your wheel nuts - even if they are correctly torqued they can still be a bastard if they are hot.

Do not let anyone do the final torquing of your wheels beside yourself.

Porsche bilt everything supplied in our kit down to minimum weight with very little regard for whether it would actually do the job of changing your tire. When I bought my latest GT3 I picked it up in Boston and blew a rear tire outside Buffalo NY on my way home. Cost me a full day while I waited for a new tire to arrive, to say nothing of the lengthy tow and a lot of screwing around. Promised myself that I would always be prepared after that.
Jittsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:05 PM   #14

Isn't the socket 19mm? I think mine are.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:07 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post

This is a blatant lie.

Nowhere Oklahoma has pothole ridden asphalt roads, and no discernible shoulder to change a flat tire on.

You must have been in the big city.
Botoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:46 AM   #16

Garage
I have 2 boxsters and a C 4 and put a minimum of 10K miles on each one in a years time, and at about 1 set of rear tires on eash every year I have a lot of experience with tires and due to the fact that these new high speed tires are about as thick as a newspaper anyway, I see a good number of flats from rocks and potholes. Of the flats that I have had, none could have been dealt with by the can of flat fix. When I bought my 08 boxster S the first thing I did was get a spare tire for it . No way would I travel without one. On a recent trip into the mountains of west virginia I had a flat on the rear and could not get a replacement tire for several days and was forced to drive ( slowly and carefully ) 300 miles home on the 5 inch spare. Without that spare I would still be sitting on the side of the road playing with that can of flat fix. I do always have an air compressor and a tire plug kit in each car, but virtually all the flats I have had are larger jagged holes that cannot be plugged either If you drive these cars very long, you learn to be prepared with tools and a few choice replacement parts when you go out.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:17 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botoxster View Post

This is a blatant lie.

Nowhere Oklahoma has pothole ridden asphalt roads, and no discernible shoulder to change a flat tire on.

You must have been in the big city.
he had to have just crossed the border into oklahoma - his rims and bottom 2/3 of the car are not red yet!
Old 01-21-2013, 06:16 AM   #18
recycledsixtie

Garage
When I go on my solo summer hike in the Rockies four hours west, I eject my mini spare on my 2001 Box and take two winter tires/rims. If I get a flat then I can replace the front or back for temporary use. I could not imagine a later P car with a can of inflator and leaving the city. That is crazy. What was Porsche thinking!
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:24 AM   #19

it was about 10 degrees above freezing one night. Tire went down. Get out the spare. Lug tool is not in the car.... I'm near an exit where a friend lives. New phone's microphone craps out. Didn't mattter friend isn't answering as it was pretty late. Can't call triple A. I'm near highway state office where the toll workers hang out so I walk over and see if they have a lug wrench.
They're like "how did you get in here?" I'm like "Through the door". They give me the number to the highway tow service. Well that's going to cost like $300. So I cave seeing no other option that doesn't require dragging a friend out of bed in freezing temps. As I'm waiting for the tow truck a random guy in an SUV pulls over and walks over with a lug wrench...like a nice one. Just then the tow truck arrives I happily tell him to hit the road. The good samaritan guy sticks around until I'm done changing the tire, I offer cash as grattitude he declines.

Lesson learned. I keep one of those X shaped cro bars from the auto store, torque wrench, folding knife, portable tire inflator and a can of that a flat.

p.s.
If I hadn't recently changed the tire on an old Volvo I don't think I would have ever figured out how to use the Porsche jack...
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 01-21-2013 at 08:28 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:26 AM   #20

I'm still a little upset there were so many big rocks in the middle of the parkway! It must have come from a construction truck late that night.

Anyone know if a run-flat tire would have been drivable even with a big gash in the tire? Good thing I had the Boxster, because my BMW has run flats - and my Prius has the air compressor thing and no spare!