Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 08:35 PM   #1

Upgraded dash speakers tonight

So I upgraded my dash speakers tonight to Polk db401's and they sound great. There is a fairly large change in sound quality (much more so than I experienced changing out the head unit). All I'll add to the installation that hasn't been said before is if you are using the stock speaker to make a basket try and get It as tight as possible (speaker within basket, then basket within the grill). I ended up epoxying the speakers to the basket and inadvertently glued the basket to the speaker grill. When I went to install the speakers the driver side didn't fit. It stuck out on the left side by a quarter inch. I then tried it on the passenger side as the opening has a bit more clearance and it fit. Then I prayed and tried the other speaker in the driver side and thankfully it fit perfectly. So watch out for your depth clearance. I also used the stock connector which made the hook up real simple. For the money this is a great mod. I'm going to do the doors next but am going with the stock size I'm too lazy to install the 6x9's.

Last edited by Ckrikos; 01-17-2013 at 08:38 PM.
Ckrikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:50 PM   #2

I used silcon sealant myself. I did a test run previously with epoxy, but found it did not adhear to the plastic too well. It popper apart in my hands. What I finally wound up with is the 4" speaker form the Infinity 4269CFP (4x6 plate) and the Infinity 109T tweater. It did take a lot of modification with a dremel to fit the 1" tweeter. But the sound is amazing.

I used a Helix B five to replace the stock amplifier. The headunit is a Kenwood DNX9980HD. Beofe I repalced the stock amplifier I ran the same speakers for a weekend trip. There is a BIG difference int he sound quality to be gained by repalcing the stock amplifier. I can't say about the stock radio since my had already been repalced by a low end Sony unit for the PO SIrrius radio.

I'm going to take anothjer look at the doors this weekend and see if I can remove the wiring harness and reconfigure it for the 12 Ga speaker wire to power the kicker 6.5" subwoofers I bought. I didn't find the stock (sub?) woofers to do much for the sound system to begin with so replacing them with better speakers didn't seem like a worthwhile effort.