Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2013, 06:00 PM   #1

Garage
Short Shift Kit

Hey guys,
Do any of you have one of these? Thoughts/opinions?
98 03 Porsche 911 Short Shifter 97 03 Boxter s 996 986 | eBay

Bryan topping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:41 PM   #2

I just posted yesterday about how much I loved my recently installed Schnell SS kit. There has been a lot posted here and on other Pcar forums about various brands. Many of the issues are due to poor installation.

My Schnell was on sale for $120 (IIRC), it took about 30mins to install, but my console was already removed for paint. Should take about 1hr or so if starting from square one.

I think the OEM shifter is crap. The new shifter shortens throws by 30% but what is more important is that it more precise, quiet and in general feels like what I would have expected a car of this caliber to come factory equipped with.

The only down side is the tendency of our trannys to feel stiff when cold is exacerbated by the lack of leverage with the shorter throws...even so it is many levels better then stock.
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:15 PM   #3

Ditto to all of what Shadrach74 said. I love my short shift kit. It's the cheap ebay one too.

Do yourself a favor though, replace the main shift linkage piece because the Porsche ones are crap and usually break or will break when you remove the old shifter. There are metal replacement ones that will never break on you and that's what you want to go in with your new short shift kit.

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 01-13-2013 at 07:18 PM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:41 PM   #4

Garage
Thanks for the replies. Do I need to get 2 of the shift cable ends? It's not real clear on Vertex's website.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan topping View Post
Hey guys,
That's the one I have, it's excellent!
Duffy3074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. Do I need to get 2 of the shift cable ends? It's not real clear on Vertex's website.
No, you can use the existing cables, though you might want to get one to replace the cable end that attaches directly to the shifter (as opposed to the one that attaches to the plastic armature); it might make it even more precise...

Last edited by shadrach74; 01-14-2013 at 05:43 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:42 AM   #7

Bryan, you could buy two, but you only really need one. One gets moved far more voilently than the other and it's the one that craps out on you when you need it most.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:57 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Hey guys,
I actually tried to install this one on my '01S yesterday (I bought it a couple of months ago and finally got around to trying to install yesterday). I couldn't get it to work so I gave up and reinstalled the stock shifter (with the new bushings). The center section of the new shifter was contacting the shifter mounting base and the pivot arm was about 1/4" longer than the stock shifter which meant the cables were too short to allow for full engagement at either end of the shift pattern. No matter how I adjusted things I either gave up reverse or gave up 5 and 6th.

I am thinking I either got a bad shifter or I am doing something wrong. There are too many other people that say they have these units and love them....

I need to contact the seller today and see if something can be done...
Old 01-14-2013, 06:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot356 View Post
I actually tried to install this one on my '01S yesterday (I bought it a couple of months ago and finally got around to trying to install yesterday). I couldn't get it to work so I gave up and reinstalled the stock shifter (with the new bushings). The center section of the new shifter was contacting the shifter mounting base and the pivot arm was about 1/4" longer than the stock shifter which meant the cables were too short to allow for full engagement at either end of the shift pattern. No matter how I adjusted things I either gave up reverse or gave up 5 and 6th.

I am thinking I either got a bad shifter or I am doing something wrong. There are too many other people that say they have these units and love them....

From your post, I'm betting that you received the wrong part.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:22 AM   #10

I bought one from the guy in the ebay link. I haven't tried to install it yet, but I know the supplied "cups" don't fit over the posts on the shifter. They are machined wrong. Be careful!
dmairspotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:45 AM   #11

Bought mine from here also, fitted perfectly........
Duffy3074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:14 AM   #12

If you want an inexpensive shifter, just get a Schnell. They've been in the business for a while. The ebay stuff is a total crap shoot. It's not worth it IMHO just to save $100. This is an easy and worthwhile upgrade for ~$150. Going cheapo on something that's already relatively inexpensive is not worth the hassle.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:15 AM   #13

How are they able to sell that for $50.00 and make a profit?
'76 BMW R75/6
'73 Honda Scrambler
Kurt V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:18 AM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrach74 View Post
From your post, I'm betting that you received the wrong part.
Probably, but since there was no packing slip and no identification of a part number etc, it makes it hard to be sure. It was just a bag of parts wrapped in bubble wrap sent in a USPS first class envelope.

I am not upset. I looked at it like a $50 gamble. I just didn't come out on top. I will contact the seller and try and figure it out.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:21 AM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt V View Post
How are they able to sell that for $50.00 and make a profit?
I asked the same question. Especially since the $50 included $5 in shipping. They are not high quality parts, but they are machined, no cast, and they then have to be assembled, shipped etc....
Old 01-14-2013, 08:18 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot356 View Post

I got one from Topspeed but it looks like the one above. Install was straightforward but I couldnt get it to work right. Too tight or shift problems etc. I could not use the shift lock tool as it wouldnt fit this. So, gave up and reinstalled the original shifter but used the metal holder with the plastic bushings. Now I'm happy.

The issues I faced made wonder if there was a transmission issue. But now i know that is not the case. Either I got the wrong part or I was doing something wrong in the install process. Either way no more wasting time.
2000 Boxster S 3.2L
1990 Land Rover Defender 6x6
Bala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:02 PM   #17

Garage
Update....I knew this was a crap shoot & I rolled snake eyes. Spent almost half a day yesterday trying to make this work & figured out the nylon bushings just were machined wrong or something. Every way I tried the thing would go about half way assembled & not budge anymore & I could not move the stick side to side. Oh well, gonna order a Schnelll shifter tonight & use the Ebay one as a key chain
Old 01-27-2013, 02:08 PM   #18

997 complete shifter assembly is the way to go ! 200 from suncoast
jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:03 PM   #19

Garage
Actually that is the way I think I'm going with this now since I've done a bit more research.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:16 PM   #20

Pretty much what I went thru. Went back to original shifter.

2000 Boxster S 3.2L
1990 Land Rover Defender 6x6
Bala is offline   Reply With Quote