Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 08:43 AM   #1

I believe the "Reader" has BIGGER issues regarding his new rattle. It's not his oil.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:52 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavor 987S View Post
I believe the "Reader" has BIGGER issues regarding his new rattle. It's not his oil.
+1
I agree.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:29 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavor 987S View Post
I would not bet on that. Along with dropping ZDDP levels, M1 products have shown a drop in film strength, particularly in the 0W-40 oil. And, in general, any given oil’s film strength decreases with miles, particularly under either high heat or shear conditions, which the car in question was obviously seeing. Higher cold weights (5W or 10W as opposed to 0W) oils from a given manufacturer also tend to demonstrate higher film strength as well. That is also why they suggested the Motul product in a higher weight, which is a Group V oil with both higher ZDDP (1200-1300 ppm) and superior film strength when compared to M1.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:13 AM   #4

Garage
While doing a little independant research on ZDDP (I'm in the oil business, but not the chemistry side), I found an interesting article concerning ZDDP.

http://www.nonlintec.com/sprite/oils_and_zddp.pdf
CoBeerToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:23 PM   #5

I have a rattle at start up and I except it as a byproduct of having hydraulic lifters and an an engine that is positioned close to the ground in a configuration the puts the lifters very close to the sheet metal at its mid section without much in the way of sound deadening material.

Valve train noise on start-up is a fact of life with hydraulic lifters. If your engine gets quieter on start up after going to a higher viscosity oil it’s not likely due to superior lubrication, is due to the fact that the higher viscosity oil is less likely to flow out of the lifters after shutdown. Higher viscosity might mean reduced noise at start-up, but that would likely coincide with reduced flow (note, flow is related to, but not the same as pressure) at start-up. It might be good for your ears, but not so much for your engine. I run 0-30 in OAT that range from 30-95df. 0-30 flows better than 0-40 when cold…and both flow better than 5W-30/40. Those of you who run 10W-XX in your Porsches likely do not understand why, just that it “sounds” better. Unless you’re in Dubai in summertime, I can think of no reason to run any oil above 0W-30 on a relatively low mileage water cooled Porsche street car. At operating temp, 10psi per 1000rpm will give the ideal flow, the lowest viscosity multigrade that will yield those results will be best to minimize cold start wear…
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:09 PM   #6
02 box s

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
I would not bet on that. Along with dropping ZDDP levels, M1 products have shown a drop in film strength, particularly in the 0W-40 oil. And, in general, any given oil’s film strength decreases with miles, particularly under either high heat or shear conditions, which the car in question was obviously seeing. Higher cold weights (5W or 10W as opposed to 0W) oils from a given manufacturer also tend to demonstrate higher film strength as well. That is also why they suggested the Motul product in a higher weight, which is a Group V oil with both higher ZDDP (1200-1300 ppm) and superior film strength when compared to M1.
Do you still find cast roll edge with syntec acceptable?
sgt brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
Same here, I read enough to learn basic guidelines & trust JFPinPA recommendation.
When Jake Raby endorsed Joe Gibbs DT40 & it became available I switched to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck W. View Post
I plan on using Joe Gibbs DT40 when Jake Raby releases the new formula. In September 2012 he stated, "We still have to burn through another 750 gallons of the current DT40 before running the next batch.The new flavor is already developed, but currently a 5 gallon pail of it cost almost 1600 bucks!.

IMHO, Mr. Raby has a passion for his business and has a good handle on what our engines need. Evidently, there was an issue with the first generation oil causing noise on start up.
I switched to the 5W40 Joe Gibbs DT40 in the fall prior to winter hibernation. Can't wait to see my next Blackstone UOA. And I recently bought a second case (12 quart bottle case) when L&N had a black Friday sale. Saved about 30%.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt brad View Post
Do you still find cast roll edge with syntec acceptable?
Yes, it remains our baseline oil. We recently have begun testing three other candidates, but the data on them is currently limited.