Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 07:18 PM   #1

AOS blown ... safe to drive the car?

Look like my AOS has gone ... the car is blowing loads of smoke :-(

It's about a 15 mile drive to my mechanic. Is it safe to drive it or should I flat bed it over? Common sense tells me not to drive it ... but wondering if I'm being overly cautious.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:54 PM   #2

How mechanically-inclined are you? Not the easiest DIY, but definitely doable! My mechanic charged me right around $800 to do mine when I first got my car (no tools, no garage, daily driver)... knowing what I know now, I would have done it myself for about a third of that cost. (part is like $150 or so)

I had mine towed to his shop though. No telling what can happen if you attempt to venture out (traffic, road closures, accidents, etc... ) Tow it and feel safe.
stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:20 AM   #3

Actually I'm not too bad. I've done several jobs myself; replaced a CAT, window regulator, secondary air pump, lights etc. I've definitely toyed with the idea of doing it myself. My only concern if there something else that's wrong. However, other than the AOS going the car has been perfectly fine.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:02 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMAN_986 View Post
Look like my AOS has gone ... the car is blowing loads of smoke :-(

It's about a 15 mile drive to my mechanic. Is it safe to drive it or should I flat bed it over? Common sense tells me not to drive it ... but wondering if I'm being overly cautious.
Do not drive the car, or even run it. When the AOS blows to the point of heavy smoke, you can very easily fill one or more cylinders with oil and kill the engine. Put it on a flatbed...........
Old 01-02-2013, 06:20 AM   #5

you should change it yourself if you can and save the $$$$$ . if thats not the problem then at least you got it done .
jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacabean View Post
you should change it yourself if you can and save the $$$$$ . if thats not the problem then at least you got it done .
+1.. (save the $$$$)

If you already replaced the auxiliary air pump you are familiar with the neighborhood, is not to difficult you just need to be patient, try to get the tool for the clamp hose it turned out to be a good investment for me.

If I remember correctly, I bought an AOS from Rector Porsche for less than $200 and it should take you a couple of hours and you will save a bunch...

Good luck

Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:45 PM   #7
1999 base

Garage
another tip.
when removing the old AOS, don't waste your time trying to remove the clamp from the bottom of the bellow (that's the hardest part in this project) just cut the bellow using a utility knife. the new AOS comes with a new one.
also don't forget to clean the intake and plugs if needed.

Meir is offline   Reply With Quote