Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 04:12 AM   #1

Garage
986 front motor mount

I am nearing the time when I want to change my front motor mount. I am finding the entire assembly of the carrier and rubber insert for $143 and up and I am also seeing just the insert that you press into your own caRRIER FOR ABOUT $40 AND UP. has anyone tried just replacing the insert or is there a problem with that. I haven't seen any info about it, but it seems like it would be a significant saving and I am not sure what the dealer does if you take it to them.

mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:03 AM   #2

Garage
Hi,
From my findings, the insert ones are a poly resin type, ideally for motorsport or trackday use as they are pretty solid. Fitting of it is straight forward enough but the cabin vibration will increase.
The design of the OE part allows enough absorption, plus rigidity. As mine failed twice, in the gaps in the OE design, I sleeved in silicone strips to reduce the twisting under load.
It might not help but you never know!
Old 01-01-2013, 09:24 AM   #3

I've done both...last time was the insert from Autoheus. There is more vibration with the insert although the insert material and make up looked a lot like oem. Shifting really improved.

I used a hacksaw to cut out the old insert and then pressed in the new one with a vice.

I doubt if I'll use the insert again as I was disappointed with the vibration.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:48 AM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict

I had my local indy install the semi-solid mount and the vibration was way too much - I could see the engine vibrations in the side mirrors sitting at a stop light. I had them change the mount back to the stock rubber and all was well.

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote