Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2012, 06:46 PM   #1

Door speaker replacement

The stock door speakers should be replaced with component speakers and not coax correct? The size is 5.25 inch at a max of 3 inch depth. Was looking at Polk but any other recommendations? Just want something that works. System sounds fine but one door speaker is bust. Thanks

2000 Boxster S 3.2L
1990 Land Rover Defender 6x6
Bala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:26 AM   #2

Thinking about doing mine too. Looking at Klipsch and Infinity.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:31 AM   #3

I'm decided on going with stock size (5.25") but not sure if the door speakers need to be coax or component type to be used as woofers. Also confused on the tech specs that is compatible with the existing Hayes amp 40x6.
2000 Boxster S 3.2L
Old 12-26-2012, 08:04 AM   #4

Having BTDT, unless you upgrade to a new amp w/ serious power... steer clear of 5.25" as their range is severely limited unless serious power behind them (40W isn't even close). You'll be extremely disappointed unless you pull out the stock "tuned ports" and make a baffle (links to DYI and template in archives here and on Boxster wiki) to fit 6.75 or 6x9" driver in there.

FYI - stock amp also has a crossover (no one that I've seen has been able to isolate the exact c/o point though). So, yes you want to go w/ either components or coaxial (and wire up only the woofer unless replacing stock amp).

Good luck
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster View Post
Having BTDT, unless you upgrade to a new amp w/ serious power... steer clear of 5.25" as their range is severely limited unless serious power behind them (40W isn't even close). You'll be extremely disappointed unless you pull out the stock "tuned ports" and make a baffle (links to DYI and template in archives here and on Boxster wiki) to fit 6.75 or 6x9" driver in there.

FYI - stock amp also has a crossover (no one that I've seen has been able to isolate the exact c/o point though). So, yes you want to go w/ either components or coaxial (and wire up only the woofer unless replacing stock amp).

Good luck
Most of time I'm listening to the songs off the ipod/iphone and it sound just fine (to me) even with the top down. Thanks for the input. I was confused on what I'd do with a coax as they come with the tweeter.
2000 Boxster S 3.2L
Old 12-28-2012, 04:48 AM   #6

Just contact Becker the manufacturer in New York and see what they say.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb986 View Post
Just contact Becker the manufacturer in New York and see what they say.
Great. Keep us posted. Thanks

2000 Boxster S 3.2L