986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Door speaker replacement (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41848)

Bala 12-25-2012 06:46 PM

Door speaker replacement

The stock door speakers should be replaced with component speakers and not coax correct? The size is 5.25 inch at a max of 3 inch depth. Was looking at Polk but any other recommendations? Just want something that works. System sounds fine but one door speaker is bust. Thanks

jcb986 12-26-2012 07:26 AM

Thinking about doing mine too. Looking at Klipsch and Infinity.

Bala 12-26-2012 07:31 AM

I'm decided on going with stock size (5.25") but not sure if the door speakers need to be coax or component type to be used as woofers. Also confused on the tech specs that is compatible with the existing Hayes amp 40x6.

Burg Boxster 12-26-2012 08:04 AM

Having BTDT, unless you upgrade to a new amp w/ serious power... steer clear of 5.25" as their range is severely limited unless serious power behind them (40W isn't even close). You'll be extremely disappointed unless you pull out the stock "tuned ports" and make a baffle (links to DYI and template in archives here and on Boxster wiki) to fit 6.75 or 6x9" driver in there.

FYI - stock amp also has a crossover (no one that I've seen has been able to isolate the exact c/o point though). So, yes you want to go w/ either components or coaxial (and wire up only the woofer unless replacing stock amp).

Good luck :)

Bala 12-28-2012 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burg Boxster (Post 321024)
Having BTDT, unless you upgrade to a new amp w/ serious power... steer clear of 5.25" as their range is severely limited unless serious power behind them (40W isn't even close). You'll be extremely disappointed unless you pull out the stock "tuned ports" and make a baffle (links to DYI and template in archives here and on Boxster wiki) to fit 6.75 or 6x9" driver in there.

FYI - stock amp also has a crossover (no one that I've seen has been able to isolate the exact c/o point though). So, yes you want to go w/ either components or coaxial (and wire up only the woofer unless replacing stock amp).

Good luck :)

Most of time I'm listening to the songs off the ipod/iphone and it sound just fine (to me) even with the top down. Thanks for the input. I was confused on what I'd do with a coax as they come with the tweeter.

jcb986 12-28-2012 04:48 AM

Just contact Becker the manufacturer in New York and see what they say.

Bala 12-28-2012 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcb986 (Post 321204)
Just contact Becker the manufacturer in New York and see what they say.

Great. Keep us posted. Thanks