Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2005, 09:57 AM   #1
bmussatti

PCA Membership

How many of the forum members are part of the Porsche Club of America? Is this a worthwhile club to joint. Thanks.

Old 11-05-2005, 10:11 AM   #2

I just joined the PCA a month ago, so far the best thing I like about the membership is the tech Q&A section on their website. Other than that I get more/better information from this forum. I have yet to attend any of the PCA regional functions in my area and I'm not sure if I will at all.
cpollan71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 10:13 AM   #3

I am a member. I like the pubs, with the tech section. I do not participate in the local events.

Not a joiner in that sense!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 10:26 AM   #4

Hi,

Do your research and then decide. My Membership saves me about 6 times what it costs. My Insurance Company requires that I be a PCA Member, for this, I get my ins. for $264/year (+the $42 to PCA). Not only that, but most Parts Suppliers offer PCA Member discounts ranging from 10-20%. Worthwhile for me! For you... only you can decide...

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 10:35 AM   #5
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Do your research and then decide. My Membership saves me about 6 times what it costs. My Insurance Company requires that I be a PCA Member, for this, I get my ins. for $264/year (+the $42 to PCA). Not only that, but most Parts Suppliers offer PCA Member discounts ranging from 10-20%. Worthwhile for me! For you... only you can decide...

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99
Jim, who is your insurance company? I have State Farm. Will they offer me a discount if I am a PCA Member?
Old 11-05-2005, 11:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Jim, who is your insurance company? I have State Farm. Will they offer me a discount if I am a PCA Member?
Hi,

I don't know, you'll have to talk with them. I'm with Leland-West.

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99
Old 11-05-2005, 02:51 PM   #7

I joined PCA when I got the car. There is good tech info to be had, and our local PCA runs excellent track days. I attend a meeting every so often to meet the other owners in the area - a good group.
Just bought a roll bar extension from another member - good price and easy transaction.
I think it's worth more than whatever the annual dues were, so thumbs up.
limoncello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 01:44 PM   #8

Honestly, I joined PCA to allow me to run DE(driver's education) events at a discount.

I actually don't even drive our Boxster at the DE's, but the PCA membership still gives me a discount.

I did find out, however, after joining that their tech. section is very helpful to a new, first time Porsche owner like us.
2002 Toyota Tundra 4x4-daily driver
S_PILOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 04:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Not only that, but most Parts Suppliers offer PCA Member discounts ranging from 10-20%.
....including most dealers.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 04:50 PM   #10

Leland-West Insurance

Quote:
Hi,

I don't know, you'll have to talk with them. I'm with Leland-West.

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99
Hi Jim,

I'm a recently-joined PCA member, met the folks in my area and attended one event so far---very enjoyable!

I looked into Leland-West insurance, it seemed you could get a good deal from them only if you were very restrictive in driving your car, e.g not to work, low yearly mileage, etc.

Did you make this compromise to get your low rates?

'04 Boxster S 550 SE
grease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 12:19 PM   #11

There are a couple of different ways to join PCA, too.
One is to join the national club, which gets you the monthly magazine, Panorama, plus a couple of windshield stickers, and a membership number to use for the discounts at some parts suppliers. Cost is about $45/yr as I recall.
If you want to participate in local events, autocross, tours, rallye, DE, track days, etc., you will have to join one of the regional clubs as well.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 12:44 PM   #12

leland west also requires you to store your Porsche in a garage and not drive more than something like 10,000 miles a year. Great policy for a garage queen.

Most Porsche service departments offer a discount for PCA members. After a few trips PCA membership more than pays for itself. You also get the very nice Panorama Porsche magazine and local PCA club newsletters.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 06:51 PM   #13

How I became a member was on purchase of car at Porsche dealer. The membership was complimentary, laughing after they charge you extra for anything that says Porsche. Is it worth it thats really up to the individual member. There is endless list of activities, trips, treks, lunches dinners, get the idea. Is up to you to which you want to go. The magazine sent to you has also names of people & shops offering services for the Porsches. Overall is a good thing to belong.

Last edited by Pilot2519j; 11-08-2005 at 06:54 PM.
Pilot2519j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 05:14 AM   #14

The Leland restrictions are quite stringent.
You actually have to drive less than 5000 miles.
The parking restrictions definitely would not fit my lifestyle. I wouldn't be able to use ANY public parking lot. Visiting out-of-town friends would be impossible because of the garaging restrictions.
Notice the parking paragraph from their website:

The covered auto must be used mainly for club activities and personal pleasure drives. Reasonable care should be taken when leaving it unattended.

* Annual Mileage: Annual mileage may not exceed option selected (2,500 or 5,000 miles).

* Normal Driving: No coverage while driving to and from work, school or while being modified or restored by a third party.

* Racing & Track Events: No coverage while using the covered auto for racing, gymkhanas, driving school, instructional course or other track events.

* Business Use: No coverage while the covered auto is used for any business or commercial use.

* Coverage Suspension: All policy coverages are annual and may not be suspended in whole or part.

* Parking: The auto must ordinarily be parked overnight in a completely enclosed, locked garage accessible only to you or members of your immediate household. Should you change the covered auto's regular garage, coverage at the new garage is only afforded after it has been submitted for review and express written approval has been given for its use. Should the covered auto be left at another location for sale or at any public parking lot or garage, no coverage is afforded. This also applies to cars that are being restored or customized.

* Alterations: Any modification of the covered auto except to restore it to its original condition is generally not acceptable. Full details of any changes must be submitted along with the completed application.

Now have a 2006 Cayman S
Basalt Black/Stone Grey
TerryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 06:23 AM   #15

Leland Restrictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryB
The Leland restrictions are quite stringent...........

Surprised that anyone who paid as much as a Porsche goes for and can afford it would put up with restrictions such as these... Takes quite a bit away from the driving experience. Maybe for someone who just takes it out of garage to display at Concours

'04 Boxster S 550 SE
grease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 06:31 AM   #16

Talking Pca

As a 35 year member I can say it is very worthwhile. It works on so many levels - tech, competition, social, educational, parts wanted/sale, website, etc. Panorama magazine alone is woth the cost of admission. Regional publications vary in quality from region to region. Regions also vary in activity level, but you can travel to other regions or Zone events. And the annual Parade is held in differing locations that can be convenient or not.
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 07:41 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by grease
Hi Jim,

I'm a recently-joined PCA member, met the folks in my area and attended one event so far---very enjoyable!

I looked into Leland-West insurance, it seemed you could get a good deal from them only if you were very restrictive in driving your car, e.g not to work, low yearly mileage, etc.

Did you make this compromise to get your low rates?
Hi,

I own several Fun Cars (Lotus Esprit, Datsun 240Z), the Boxster amongst them. These are for pure enjoyment, occaisional Country Drives, Goin' Out on the Town, etc. I office from my Home, so no daily commute either. As such, I didn't compromise anything, Leland's requirements match up exactly with how I use the Car. They have insured my Lotus since '96, and my Datsun since I think '86.

Being my 1st year owning it, I went with the 5,000 mi. policy, figuring I'd drive it more the 1st year. I put it in Hiberbnation this past weekend for the season and had put just 4,000 mi. actually on it. next year, I'll probably drop the coverage to 2,500 mi.

This type of coverage is ideal if you own multiple Fun Cars. Without it, your annual insurance costs, incl. the Daily Driver would be astronomical...

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99
Old 11-09-2005, 08:19 PM   #18

PCA is great for networking also. Look at the diversity on this website in the occupation thread. If you are in the market for a new job in a couple years like me...you need all the help you can get. Especially when your only qualifications are flying things and blowing things up.
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 09:48 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpollan71
I just joined the PCA a month ago, so far the best thing I like about the membership is the tech Q&A section on their website.
Not sure if you post questions on there, but if you are not then I would save your money. Anybody can view the tech forum, they just can't post.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 09:43 AM   #20

I would imagine that going to PCA driving events voids the factory warrantee, as would all driving events.

It just seems odd to me that dozens of people can get together in an organized fashion and collectively void their warrantees. That aside, the passion of performance driving obviously wins and then it makes sense that we get together and drive.

But that leads to the question, does PCNA offer any lenience(sp?) to PCA members on warrantee work?

xavier405 is offline   Reply With Quote