Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2005, 05:57 PM   #1

Mich Pilot Sport's used for all season?

My new to me 2002 S needs new rear tires, they are 240/55 17 zr Pilot sport. Will these get me anywhere during the winter months in the Philadelphia area? Won't be going out in the snow but will be driving (slowly) during the winter months. Really don't want to get a winter set of tires.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

--JK

SeaNile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 06:20 PM   #2

If I remember, your 2002 S doesnt have PSM which may be a little bit more of a challenge when it comes time for winter use. I have had Pilot sports on a few cars and they were average in light snow. By no means good or even close to a Blizzak type tire. I believe there is a Pilot Sport All-Season version that may work for you. I am sure someone here has some recommendations for a decent performing and accomodating winter tire.

Just for kicks check out Tirerack.com to see if there are any new Performance/allseason choices.

Best of luck,
Joe
01S
Triple Black
AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 04:01 AM   #3

If you have no intention of doing snow, those Pilots will be find.

Bizzaks are good for real snow, but you have to stick to light snow as the ground clearance with get you.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 08:33 AM   #4

No PSM so I do have to be careful. Just wanted to makes sure these would be OK in winter months but not snow per se. Beautiful day here today and getting ready to drop the top and go for a cruise.

Thanks for the help.

--JK
Old 10-30-2005, 12:09 PM   #5

Bruce --Follow up Pilot AS or Summer Pilots?

I've been having the same debate regarding tires. I have an 03 with PSM and I've been hearing that the summer pilots are dangerous below 45 degrees. I plan to drive in the winter- but not in any sort of snow. I've been wondering if I should try and get through the winter with the Summer Pilots, buy a dedicated set of winter tires, or purchase the Pilot All Season tires. Since the DC area only has about 3 months of real winter- it's hard for me to rationalize winter tires, but the all-season Pilots (assuming the handling trade off isn't too much) makes sense.

So to my question:

Bruce- When you say the Pilots will be okay, are you refering to Pilot All Season or the stock Summer Pilots?
Onad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 12:10 PM   #6

Not for snow

I wouldn't drive in any amount of snow. I had them on my Saab and had serious traction issues in even the lightest of snow.

randy
rboutin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 01:14 PM   #7

Depends on the tire. Some summer tires are even treacherous in the rain.

Tire Rack has a nice rating system for its tires. I would check there. for your answer.

I was referring to the all-season Pilots in my earlier reply.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 01:47 PM   #8

I'm just talking very conservative driving in the winter months. No racing, no sprints in the twisties, just plain old boring day to day driving on the highways. If there is even the slightest chance of snow the car will stay in the garage. At most, might get stuck in a few flurries for several miles. I think these tires will be OK.

Thanks again.

--JK
Old 10-30-2005, 05:15 PM   #9

Hey SeaNile,
Just outside of Philly here as well (NJ). I also have a non-psm Boxter with Pilot Sports. I previously had the same tires on my NSX and went through the winter with them. The only thing I worried about was if one side of the NSX would hit snow, as the rear tires had toe in (I think thats what it is called). If the right side hit snow or ice, the tail would slide to the right, as the left rear tire would want to push that way. It was the opposite with the left side! As you plan on doing, I did not drive in snow if I could avoid it, and I was fine. I plan on doing the same with the Boxster. Good luck!
9000RPMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 07:10 PM   #10

Not to change subjects but what was the NSX like? That is one sweet car. How does it compare to the boxster?

Thanks for the info on the tires

--JK
Old 10-31-2005, 02:01 PM   #11

The NSX is an incredible car. Its as easy to drive as an Accord, but with just a press of the right foot, you can be going 140 mph. It was dead reliable and even got 27 miles per gallon! It did attract the attention, and sometimes rude stares, from everyone on the road. I would have to be careful of every driveway, and even some intersections, as the air dam could be ripped off. That did in fact happen one time. It is a car for the occasional drive, not a daily driver, as I used it. I always felt like I was a shark swimming among the minnows when I drive it. Oh, the 1st day I had it I ran it up to 172 miles per hour. SMOOOOOOOOOTH and oh so stable!
Old 10-31-2005, 02:05 PM   #12
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9000RPMan
Oh, the 1st day I had it I ran it up to 172 miles per hour. SMOOOOOOOOOTH and oh so stable!

No break-in period...172MPH on the first day...or did someone else do it for you!
Old 11-01-2005, 09:30 PM   #13

I bought it with 20,000 miles on it.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:23 AM   #14

NSX is nice. Not sure why they discontinued it. The Honda factory is actually just 3 blocks from my house and frequently I spotted NSX coming in and out of the place. Maybe some of the engineers drive them