Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2005, 05:10 AM   #1
tmc

What you think of the Z4 M?

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=107689

I must admit, it's tempting. The one big flaw with the Z4 was the all-electronic steering, and it seems that Group M has scrapped that in favor of a power-assisted hydrolic unit. The styling still looks like a suit someone slept in, but it is not as bad as the original Z4.

Is it a 987S killer? 3300 lbs (Z4 M) vs ~3000 lbs (987S), but 343 hp vs. 280 hp. Probably 0-60 in about 0.3sec less than the box S, from what I've read so far.

tmc
(who just traded an M3 to buy a 987S)

tmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 05:36 AM   #2

I looked seriously at the Z3's before buying my Boxster.
Styling - I really liked the Z3's, thought I might warm up to the Z4 (it would grow on me), but it hasn't really. It's just not a "beautiful" car.
Power - seems more than ample in the M. Should fly.
Brakes - even if "upgraded", hard to believe they will be a match for the Boxster.
Handling - same as above. Low CG and balance win.
Ownership - there are a lot more BMW dealers and garages than Porsche, maybe easier to take care of it.
In the end, I chose Boxster, & still would today.
limoncello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 05:48 AM   #3
tmc

limoncello,

I agree completely about the Z3, which had a horribly loose frame. But the Z4 is a different car. You should drive one. You will discover the two negatives are the steering (it's all electronic and not up to the usual BMW standards) and the harsh ride on the run flat tires. BMW M Group seems to have addressed the first of these by swapping the steering for a more conventional power-assisted hydrolic unit. So I am curious as hell whether or not the Z4 M will slay a Boxster S.

Not sure why I care but that I juuuust bought a 987S after deciding it was the absolute best roadster out there (outside of exotics).

tmc
Old 10-28-2005, 06:55 AM   #4

I liked everything about the z3 save the horribly cheap materials on the interior. The M interior on that car was better but if I had one (I may buy one again someday), I would pull most of the interior for a custom job.

The M version of that car ran very nicely thank you and was pretty easy to mod up the power, handling.

Used ones (regular z3s that is) are now quite cheap and it really is a fun car.

Nice compare and contrast to the Box.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 07:03 AM   #5

Article here...Germans know how to build sports cars. Can't get used to the BMW styling but 343hp is for real.

http://www.germancarfans.com/news.cfm/newsid/2051025.002/page/1/lang/eng/bmw/1.html
KShep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 07:50 AM   #6

Mid Engine: There is no substitute.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 08:21 AM   #7

I think the competition in the roadster segment can only be good for new Boxster buyers in the rest of this decade. Raises the old question of when Porsche will put an engine in the Box that matches the chassis in terms of capabilities. I'm guessing maybe the 2008 base Boxster runs the current 280 hp S engine, the S something north of 300bhp.

FWIW BMW is still lagging Mercedes who has had the AMG SLK55 since 2004.

5.4L 8 cylinder 355bhp
4.7 0-60
$62,000
Better looking than the Z4M (subjective, but I think most people would agree)

I test drove one before I got the SLK350 and am still seeing the chiropractor to help with the whiplash I incurred after flooring it.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky

Last edited by SD987; 10-28-2005 at 08:23 AM.
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 08:26 AM   #8

Hi,

Personally, I am not a Big Fan of either the Z3 or Z4, even the M variant, all of which I have driven.

I don't in any way dispute that it is a Good Car. But it strikes me as being Coldly Efficient and fails to elicit the type of Visceral Response I have come to expect of a Sports Car. To me, it simply lacks Soul...

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 08:52 AM   #9
bmussatti

What is the MBW Z8?

A couple weeks ago, I was at a Porsche dealer in Louisville, KY, and they had a used Z8 parked out front ($105K). Some guy traded it in for a Porsche!

Pretty amazing looking car! Has anyone ever seen one? What is the Z8?
Old 10-28-2005, 09:09 AM   #10

Thumbs up Porsche is there anything else?

The 987 set the standard for the slalom course in a RT test. Fastest ever and in doing so beat the $ 700K Enzo super car. The Boxster design is a timeless design that looks beautiful the day it came out and today 8 yrs later. Sure the other manufacturers will thow at the Boxster the gauntlet but nothing drives and handles like a Boxster and that you can take to the bank. I looked at the Z-4 before buying my Boxster and frankly there are no comparisons in the looks and handling.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:22 AM   #11

Couldn't find the Z4 M on the BMW NA site - anybody know what the MSRP would be? (i.e. wonder where it fits in the non-S/S/Cayman field?)
limoncello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 10:05 AM   #12
tmc

Estimates I've heard are $60k base price.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:37 AM   #13

For 65 Large, I am off to Z06 land.

I like the sound of 505BHP.

Last edited by Brucelee; 10-28-2005 at 03:53 PM.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:11 AM   #14

I looked at the Z4 and the SLK when considering the Boxster. I couldn't get past the (hideous) styling of either.

The Z4's harsh and bizarre angles looked like a 3D German Expressionist painting (don't get me wrong, I love German Expressionism but just not for a car ). It was so unattractive I didn't even want to sit in it, let alone drive it.

The SLK faired a little better: I sat in it. But it was like sitting in a cartoon, i didn't even bother driving it. What's happened to the Benz traditional understated styling?

In the end it was the classic sensual lines of the Boxster that won my heart--and my wallet. My attraction to it was strong and somewhat irrational--like love itself.
TVC15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 11:38 AM   #15

To me, the z4 syling is just horrendous!

The Boxster is on the other end, simply gorgeous from any angle.

Old 10-28-2005, 02:58 PM   #16

The BMW Z cars (especially the Z3) remind me of the skit from Saturday Night Live, The Ambiguously Gay Duo...remember that car they used to drive? I won't name what the car was, but I think it looks like a Z3. Just my opinion.
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown

Last edited by Rail26; 10-28-2005 at 03:09 PM.
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 03:05 PM   #17

I agree with Brucelee that the new Z4 is horrible looking from most angles including the drivers seat. The doors are too high, cant rest your arm on the sill. The handling even with the sport package is not impressive. I think the car definately made the jump to being a "girls car"... sorry to sound sexist, but you know you have thought it and probably said it.

Having owned 2 prior M roadsters, I definately loved the power. Gobs from all measures in the powerband. The transmission in 5 speed was among the best I have had the pleasure of rowing. The brakes were world class even compared to my 01S. The engine was dead reliable. The exhaust note excellent. Not much not to like.

There is just something captivating about the Porsche. I feel very special and fortunate driving my 01 S. I feel like I have arrived and in style mind you. I cant believe this car is THAT good!

Just my 2 Cents!

Kindly,
Joe
01 S
Triple Black
AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 03:14 PM   #18

Here's a good one...I think the Box is the best looking (besides the CGT) out of the entire line. The last PCA meeting I attended was held at the parking lot of the local baseball team. I had more (Non P drivers) people crowded around my car than the two turbo's and the GT2 and I drive a base Box!
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 03:53 PM   #19

I agree that the M3 Roadster is a fine fine car.

Yes, the Box turns the heads!

Old 10-28-2005, 04:06 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail26
The BMW Z cars (especially the Z3) remind me of the skit from Saturday Night Live, The Ambiguously Gay Duo...remember that car they used to drive? I won't name what the car was, but I think it looks like a Z3. Just my opinion.
Are you trying to say the Z3 looks like a certain part of the male anatomy? lol

Adam is offline   Reply With Quote