Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2006, 09:13 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheCrazy
An excellent product is BG44k, I use 1 can every couple fill ups you can buy BG at any dealer, Porsche included. I also like to run redline SL1 in between the BG44K. Works great!!
AS I understand BG44K, this is pretty potent stuff and is not intended for continued use. I do agree on Redline SI1 and use it often. Suppose to keep the carbon build up off the back of the valves.

Mike

Old 02-20-2006, 09:52 PM   #42

Hi,

You want to be really careful about Chronic Overuse of these products. Such Overuse can lead to Engine Damage and Premature Wear.

The Carbon, Varnish and Wax which builds up in the Engine and Injectors doesn't simply Vanish when these Cleaners are used. It is just dislodged from the surface it is attached to.

Once set free, it will often settle in the Oil, contaminating it and shortening it's (Oil) useful life. This is why it's Prudent to use it the Tank before an Oil Change, so you can drain out the contaminants along with the Oil. A certain amount of these materials actually provide some level of protection to metal surfaces inside the Engine.

While most of these products and contaminants are burned and ejected with the exhaust, not all of it is. Many of these solvents contain a surfactant quality which strips the Oil from Bearing surfaces, increasing metal-to-metal contact, especially on cold startup. You get some unburnt fuel (and consequently some of this solvent) into the cylinders on each shutdown, where it can work to strip the fine, protective, Oil layer from the Cylinder Walls.

They also tend to raise the Combustion Temperature as this is partly how they work - they literally burn off much of the contaminates. This is OK on occaision, but Unhealthy if used Regularly.

Keeping the Engine in Top Tune, regularly Changing the Oil, and using a Quality Gasoline, from a Busy Name Brand Station, will alleviate the need to use these products on anything more than a once-a-year basis. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 02-21-2006 at 05:52 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 06:18 AM   #43

I stick to Chevron gas for the exact reasons that Jim cited.

Overuse of these FI cleaners is a no-no.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 02:10 PM   #44
olly986

anyway if you use it too often how can you tell the difference from not using it at all, do you actually open your engine to check the valves etc...
i don't think so!
i would actually be worried to use stuff that are not as such recommended by car manufacturers, paint stripper sounds rough, like the lads before i think good quality fuel and a cleaner every so often is probably enough, and it makes sense to do it before an oil change too.

Old 02-21-2006, 07:31 PM   #45

Hey guys, maybe I should have been more clear, I run BG generally after an oil change. Then in between I use a bottle of SL1 every 2-3 fillups.
PorscheCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 06:13 AM   #46

Quote:
Hey guys, maybe I should have been more clear, I run BG generally after an oil change. Then in between I use a bottle of SL1 every 2-3 fillups.
Why do you use this so often?

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 02:06 PM   #47

Preventitive maintence.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:13 PM   #48

Honestly after I purchased the car, I looked a bit deeper into the hostory of the car. And the previos ownerlooks to have missed 2 service intervals.

Had I known that I probably would have not purchased the car. My heart 1 out
So I do this as preventative maintence, BG44K avery 7,000. and maybe 2 bottles of SL1 in between. Of course 93 octane.

The car is in good hands now instead of some abusive pricK, that is not able/want to service the car, with 70K on the clock, I cant afford a new motor at the current time, so I am careful period.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:28 PM   #49

Quote:
Honestly after I purchased the car, I looked a bit deeper into the hostory of the car. And the previos ownerlooks to have missed 2 service intervals.

Had I known that I probably would have not purchased the car. My heart 1 out
So I do this as preventative maintence, BG44K avery 7,000. and maybe 2 bottles of SL1 in between. Of course 93 octane.

The car is in good hands now instead of some abusive pricK, that is not able/want to service the car, with 70K on the clock, I cant afford a new motor at the current time, so I am careful period.
Hi,

It's good to see you taking such care of the Car. But, You can't make up for past sins - you're Overmedicating.

Just do the Oil Changes at 7500 - 10K mi., use good Fuel, stay on the Maintenence Schedule, and add a Fuel System Cleaner once a year. Your Car will love you for it...

Old 02-22-2006, 09:16 PM   #50

Your probably right Jim, good to see you over on this board, as well as F-6.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:11 PM   #51
bmussatti

Hi Jim:

Do you still stand by your earlier recommendation to use 6 ounce of Toluene per fill-up??
Old 02-23-2006, 09:00 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Hi Jim:

Do you still stand by your earlier recommendation to use 6 ounce of Toluene per fill-up??
Hi,

Using 6oz. of Toluene to a Full tank amounts to only a 0.27% concentration, waay less than is typically found in many (possibly most) Premium Gasolines (usually 5 -10%, but as high as 25% in some Racing Fuels). It can dramatically reduce or eliminate the need to use a dedicated Fuel Cleaner.

My recommendation was more as an alternative to the Branded Cleaners which have much more potent cleaners, but which cost in excess of $80/gal. Chronic use of these, in the concentrations recommended, can have a detrimental effect over time, whereas Toluene will not. Dedicated Fuel Cleaners should not be used as a preventative measure (if there's nothing to clean, they really perform no function), only when there's something to actually clean out of the Engine, as indicated by a drop in Performance or MPG or annually as there's sure to be some Varnish and Wax/Gum in the system. Hope this helps...