Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2005, 05:54 PM   #1

Anyone with an opinion on adding rear speaker package?

I was wondering if anyone has installed a rear speaker package in their Boxster? I was on Ebay and noticed Suncoast Porsche selling an OEM rear speaker package with wiring. I have an 01 S and the standard in-dash CDP. The system has 4 speakers now with dash and door speakers. There is a small amp in the front compartment. Can anyone tell me if this add on speaker kit is semi-easy to install, will it work with factory wiring, and is it worth trying?

My alternative is to replace the whole setup with a new head unit, 4 channel amp, speakers and a small sub. Obviously, cost on the OEM kit for 200.00 is less than 2k for a nice system. I am leary of upgrading the stereo at this point because I find myself listening to the exhaust note of my B and B!

Thanks in advance,
Joe
01 S
Triple Black

AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 06:24 PM   #2

Hi,

I did the install and it was fairly easy. I'd rate it about a 2. The most difficult part was cutting out the storage shelves on either side of the Rear Storage Box, and even that wasn't difficult, just need to take care. It requires a Dremel w/ cutting wheel, but you could also do it with just a hot knife, although I suspect this would be much more difficult. You need a hot glue gun, or epoxy to install the speakers in place of the shelves. I also did a little upgrading of my own by adding spun polyester batting behind the speakers, then hot glueing some heavy mil vinyl (plastic sheeting) to the underside to prevent moisture, critters from nesting in the poly. This gives a more substantial sound and prevents the box from vibrating in sympathy with the speakers. The Poly was $1.99 (I bought bulk Filter media from PetSmart, because it's the exact same thing as the $6 batting sold at Fabric stores.

The Wiring Harness (included) is a perfect fit w/ the proper connectors at each end. You remove a couple interior panels to run the Harness through, but these were easy to remove and replace. I think it took a little under 2 hours total.

It improves the sound a lot, not a $2000 Nak or Mac system, but good enough for a convertible. I'm glad I did it. PM me with any other questions, or if I can assist w/ the install.

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 10:16 PM   #3

I did the oem speaker package that pnparts sells on ebay.

They put a couple of Polk Audio speakers in each side. I combined that with the other suggestion you will find if you do searches and it sounds good.
All it can really do is pull the sound out away from the windshield. But I hear it better at speed and the sound seems more like enveloping(is that a word).

Go very very slow when cutting the boxes out. When you see the big globs of glue remember that is where the clasps are and you don't want to cut them. Wear safety glasses that stuff flies.

Use a dremel and a cutting tool. Broad tip for the globs and very narrow for the long runs. Mine had very little glue on one side and then a generous amount on the other.
I ran the harness down the passenger side across to the accelerator and through the hole above. Then behind the battery tothe passenger side of the trunk through the cd changer hole and back across.

The PNP parts kit has enough wire to do this. The accelerator hole is easy to find on all I guess but some people swear there box doe snot have some of the other holes cut out and plugged with grommets.

05 S - looking...
lexuspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 11:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexuspilot
I did the oem speaker package that pnparts sells on ebay.

They put a couple of Polk Audio speakers in each side. I combined that with the other suggestion you will find if you do searches and it sounds good.
All it can really do is pull the sound out away from the windshield. But I hear it better at speed and the sound seems more like enveloping(is that a word).

Go very very slow when cutting the boxes out. When you see the big globs of glue remember that is where the clasps are and you don't want to cut them. Wear safety glasses that stuff flies.

Use a dremel and a cutting tool. Broad tip for the globs and very narrow for the long runs. Mine had very little glue on one side and then a generous amount on the other.
I ran the harness down the passenger side across to the accelerator and through the hole above. Then behind the battery tothe passenger side of the trunk through the cd changer hole and back across.

The PNP parts kit has enough wire to do this. The accelerator hole is easy to find on all I guess but some people swear there box doe snot have some of the other holes cut out and plugged with grommets.
Hi,

Great Post! Good advice, especially about using the Dremel.

But, there is a difference in the install instructions between the '97-'02 and the '03 and beyond which you may not be aware of. The difference concerns whether or not you have the M441 (Dash Speakers) or M490 (Harman Amplifier) Option and your MY.

In the '97-'02 models, you connect to the Radio, not the Amp (regardless if you have the M441 or M490 Option), so there is no need for this lister to go through the Firewall to connect to the Amp as you suggest. He will simply plug into the Radio Connector in the Cabin.

For your MY, the instruction you gave is correct, but only if you have the M490 Option, if not, you still connect to the radio.

On the OEM PNA 986 Kit Rear Speaker Kit, Installation for a MY '03 and beyond w/ M490 , you must also use an Amplifier Wiring Harness Adapter and PNA 721 043 00 034 Amplifier Wire Connectors, both of which are included in the Kit. Refer to TSB Group 9 #0301 9142. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 05:23 AM   #5

Sorry was reading two posts at once and didn't see your MY.

You can still ask the good suplliers of this part and they will make sure you have the proper kit. There are lenghty posts on other fourums that include pictures; as well there are good intructions on some of the members own websites. Just click search and you shall find .

05 S - looking...
lexuspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 01:58 PM   #6

Thanks for the info Guys! It seems like a decent weekend project. I just wanted to make sure that it would plug into the harness coming from the head unit. If I were going to have to rig it and not be able to control the fader and balance, then I would just as soon replace the system.

I will give it a try and post some results down the line!

Thanks,
Joe
01 s
Triple Black
AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 06:27 PM   #7

I've done the PCNA kit and was happy with the result - with the caveat of recommending addition of tweeters as well. You can see my installation on the Boxster hacks site if you're interested.

Note: One change to a step I recommend in the site instructions is to avoid using the hot melt to tack the cables routed along the lip of the storage compartment - I later found out that apparently it gets hot enough under the rear window on a summer day for the glue to become liquid again and seep into the engine cover carpeting. Stick with the Porsche-supplied wire clips (if you can figure out how to use them w/out nicking the wires ) to avoid this.

I also later modified my install to add tweeters in parallel to improve the highs over the stock kit.

Let me know if you have any questions on the material posted, etc.
Old 09-30-2005, 06:48 PM   #8

I've two things to add to this thread.

1) You can easily run the wires up the center console on the passenger side by tucking them up under the plastic. Removing the sill pieces and fishing wires through metal is a pain you do not have to do if you don't want to do it.

2) Rear speaker kit is an absolute necessity in my opinion... followed by a new head unit. The Alpine unit I had installed (too much wiring for my knowledge base or comfort level) just two months ago is at least 3x better sound than the becker unit I yanked out. A local stereo shop who is familiar with 911 installations will do this for you for $100 if you buy the head unit and give it to them. They even wired it into my existing amp since I didn't have speakers replaced.

The Alpine unit doesn't look factory like the Beckers, but if you have an older boxster it's the best $200 you can spend to enhance the driving experience. I bought mine new in the box from an Ebay seller.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 08:13 PM   #9

You can always watch the movie.

We put the wire in the clip then push the clip into the box. This way you will not nick the wire.

Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote