View Single Post
Old 09-28-2005, 06:24 PM   #2
MNBoxster

Hi,

I did the install and it was fairly easy. I'd rate it about a 2. The most difficult part was cutting out the storage shelves on either side of the Rear Storage Box, and even that wasn't difficult, just need to take care. It requires a Dremel w/ cutting wheel, but you could also do it with just a hot knife, although I suspect this would be much more difficult. You need a hot glue gun, or epoxy to install the speakers in place of the shelves. I also did a little upgrading of my own by adding spun polyester batting behind the speakers, then hot glueing some heavy mil vinyl (plastic sheeting) to the underside to prevent moisture, critters from nesting in the poly. This gives a more substantial sound and prevents the box from vibrating in sympathy with the speakers. The Poly was $1.99 (I bought bulk Filter media from PetSmart, because it's the exact same thing as the $6 batting sold at Fabric stores.

The Wiring Harness (included) is a perfect fit w/ the proper connectors at each end. You remove a couple interior panels to run the Harness through, but these were easy to remove and replace. I think it took a little under 2 hours total.

It improves the sound a lot, not a $2000 Nak or Mac system, but good enough for a convertible. I'm glad I did it. PM me with any other questions, or if I can assist w/ the install.

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote