Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 12:01 AM   #1

Something weird happend today???

As I was reversing out of my driveway I stalled the car and then when I restarted it, the engine came on for about 3 seconds and then turned it's self off and this happened a few times so I had to keep my foot on the pedal reving it up until I managed to get it back into the driveway and then it was fine again.

Does anyone know what happened today?

Old 11-15-2012, 02:21 AM   #2

I stall once in a blue moon when trying to slowly creep up a steep driveway or over a speed bump, my car is extremely low, so caution and care must be taking for these types of approach. With that being said, when I do stall, it seems to not want to restart the first time or is very hard to restart, as in having to hold the key turned much longer than usual. Other than that, my car runs perfect. I have an 03Boxster S. Is this normal?
ohhh my is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:48 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhh my View Post
I stall once in a blue moon when trying to slowly creep up a steep driveway or over a speed bump, my car is extremely low, so caution and care must be taking for these types of approach. With that being said, when I do stall, it seems to not want to restart the first time or is very hard to restart, as in having to hold the key turned much longer than usual. Other than that, my car runs perfect. I have an 03Boxster S. Is this normal?
Why doesn't it restart straight away, is there an explanation for this?
And does your engine come on at all when you try to restart or does it stay completely off?

My engine comes back on and then just crashes out...
Old 11-15-2012, 03:17 AM   #4

Garage
Check your airfilter make sure it's clean and also check your throttle body and clean it out really good (you will likely have to take it off) but that only takes about 10min. Sometimes i've seen some dust buildup (from a badly seated air filter) on the MAF Sensor cause that too - use a little compressed air and blow it off. A little bit of dirt build up in the TB can cause all sorts of issues especially during low rpm...
Heiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:07 AM   #5

I wonder if your fuel pump is starting to go and your engine isn't getting the gas it needs to run normally. Just a guess. Mine was working one minute and dead the next. When this happened I was able to briefly start it for a handful of seconds and then nothing.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:09 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by More View Post
As I was reversing out of my driveway I stalled the car and then when I restarted it, the engine came on for about 3 seconds and then turned it's self off and this happened a few times so I had to keep my foot on the pedal reving it up until I managed to get it back into the driveway and then it was fine again.

Does anyone know what happened today?

What I have seen happen in most cases is that when the car is stalled, a very low oil pressure reading is store in the DME. The car will go into what I will call "Limp Mode" as it might not be sure its okay to start.

Just a thought.
stephe57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:32 AM   #7

Garage
I think once you stall out the engine, its in a flooded situation and the cylinders are filled with excessive fuel. Once the rich condition is cleared (turning the engine over with the throttle fully opened like you did), your engine will get back into it's natural rhythm.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:44 PM   #8

Thanks for the advice I feel a little bit better now last night I was too scared to even take it out just in case I lose her completely miles away from my house.

Just out of curiosity how much is a new Fuel Pump and where can I find a guide on how to remove and clean the parts mentioned below?

Thanks
Old 11-15-2012, 05:51 PM   #9
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxonalden View Post
I think once you stall out the engine, its in a flooded situation and the cylinders are filled with excessive fuel. Once the rich condition is cleared (turning the engine over with the throttle fully opened like you did), your engine will get back into it's natural rhythm.
Yep! Did the exact same thing with by Dodge Ram Quad Cab yesterday and have done this with the Boxster as well. A no harm no foul issue!