Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2012, 09:50 PM   #1

Finally Got My Boxster

I had a new 914 when I was 21 (saved up during high school and early college years). Then I got married, new family, new house, etc. So long to the 914. I have dreamed about getting a Porsche again for 30 years. Finally, I took the plunge after I picked up three new clients in my consulting practice in one week. I decided I had the excuse. This forum was incredible in helping me focus on exactly what I wanted. It had to be a Boxster. The issue was color, year, etc. I don't believe in buying new cars. I want the other guy to eat the biggest part of the depreciation.

I found a 2008 lease return. It has a little over 20,000 miles, and cost $32,000. That was a good price for California. It is Carrrara White, Tiptronic, 18 inch wheels, and full leather. I know some don't believe in Tiptronic. However, the San Francisco Bay Area traffic is killer. I run a virtual company and we all work from our homes. So, this will be my local commute car when I go to clients in the San Francisco Bay Area. Even then, most of my interactions with clients are online meetings. When I have to go see Southern California clients, my other car is JetBlue or Southwest. Having said all that, I want to enjoy the car, even in heavy traffic. So, for me, Tiptronic was the way to go. I went with an after market touch screen Kenwood audio system with Navigation, Sirius/XM, HD Radio, Pandora Radio, Bluetooth on screen cell phone connection, CD/DVD player. In the interior shot you can see my cell phone cradle fits perfectly below the radio/nav system.

The windstop is stock. I did have them replace the convertible top (it would not stay properly aligned when closing) under the factory warranty. I got no hassles or arguments from the dealer.

My wife and I have taken it out on several road trips (one to Yosemite). What a rush.

I live in an area that is fairly well off (lots of those "evil" 1% people) with many high end cars. That said, I still have been getting compliments on the Boxster from people that regularly see sports cars at the cafes and restaurants in our small town.

The San Francisco Bay Area has great weather most of the year. So, year round enjoyment of my new Boxster is definitely in my future.

Again, I want to thank all of you on this forum. I read many of the threads and it helped me focus on exactly what I wanted.

I have attached several pictures. I know how you all insist on pictures.

gmarvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:00 PM   #2

Congrats. Lately been digging the whites on porsches and mbs. Enjoy.
walt2810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:05 PM   #3

Sorry to all. I have no idea how my pictures got screwed up. They looked fine in the preview.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:14 AM   #4

VERY clean and sharp look.Just got my new to me 2000 S in late August and loving it too.Digging the white color! Your wheels are good match up.Tip is smart for your traffic and hills.
litespeedp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:49 AM   #5

Garage
Congrats and I like the White. I also grow up on a 914 and that was it for P-cars for 30+ years until my 02-S (Steal Gray) a month ago. The 914 with all 90 HP was an absolute blast to drive, so I knew that a 250 HP boxster was going to be another level of that blast. I have to be bit honest that with all of your virual ability, seems you could avoid traffic and have opted for a manual. I personally could not have gone any other way than a manual, and I have to commute everyday in NJ traffic. I just go twice the miles home, back roads, to stay away from traffic. That is just the old school in me and I expect each to do what make them happy. In the end driving a Boxster is the highest level of fun. As a matter of fact driving into work today in my Boxster, after Hurricane Sandy came through last night was kind of a cool thing. I hope others on this forum in Sandy's path faired well. We were very lucky, I thing Sandy spun right around us (a few miles from Philadelphia) basically keeping us from the worst of the storm. Good luck with your grin making machine
Old 10-30-2012, 07:41 AM   #6
Carnut

Yeah!! I know how you feel!
Old 10-30-2012, 07:52 AM   #7

Awesome looking, the white's really growing on me, especially after this hot summer!
Skrapmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:07 AM   #8

Garage
Congrates ! I like the black interior with the white.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarvel View Post
Sorry to all. I have no idea how my pictures got screwed up. They looked fine in the preview.
no matter how the ipad is flipped the pictures are still upside down
walt2810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:13 AM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by walt2810 View Post
no matter how the ipad is flipped the pictures are still upside down
Lock the screen!

Beautiful car! Congrats!
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:01 PM   #11

You can edit the photos first on your iPad by clicking the edit on top right side when viewing in Photos, then rotate, crop, etc, then repost.
Skrapmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:36 PM   #12

gmarvel,

How are you liking the Tip? I sold my 2000 Boxster at the end of 2011 and am currently thinking about a low mileage 2008 from someone I know. It's a tip, though. Wasn't what I had in mind but I see a lot more of those around than I expected.
CA_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:30 PM   #13

Very nice, love the 987. We'll have to get an east bay boxster gathering or something together one of these days. If you join the diablo PCA might see you around, i just signed up today.

Comet
mcomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:22 PM   #14

Congrats Gmarvel.

Danville is a beautiful area and definitely affluent. But, the Boxster always holds its own on random, stranger compliments/stares.
06 Maserati Quattroporte (Family hauler)
08 Corvette Z06 (Track car)
986_c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:42 PM   #15

I love the Tip. In Bay Area traffic it makes all the difference. I know that many purists insist on manual only. However, I want to enjoy my Boxster all the time. Stop and go traffic with a manual transmission is simply not fun for me. When I want most of the advantages of a manual I simply use the shifters on the steering wheel (I know, I know, a sin to those purists in the crowd). My next Boxster (waiting for the 2013's to come off leases) will absolutely have this feature.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:03 PM   #16

I love the Tip. In Bay Area traffic it makes all the difference. I know that many purists insist on manual only. However, I want to enjoy my Boxster all the time. Stop and go traffic with a manual transmission is simply not fun for me. When I want most of the advantages of a manual I simply use the shifters on the steering wheel (I know, I know, a sin to those purists in the crowd). My next Boxster (waiting for the 2013's to come off leases) will absolutely have this feature.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:08 PM   #17
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Excellent choice of color
Love the white center console, too. I may have to look into that