Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2012, 09:09 AM   #1

want service records

ive already tried once when i got my PPI done, is there a way to sweet talk the service department at the dealership where my 02 S has been serviced 6 times into releasing copies of the service records so i know exactly whats been done to the car?, i also would like to have them for when i sell the car one day-the lady on the phone at the dealer said it was a privacy issue and they cant discuss, but i figure theres got to be a way to at least get a look at them..

oc-boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:20 AM   #2

Realistically, you probably will not get what you want. PCNA has declared the car’s service records the private property of the previous owner(s). They may share redacted information with you, but they will not share the car’s entire history or give you printouts.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:53 AM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict

Dealers will not disclose the service done on a car when it was owned by someone else. You need to get that info from the seller.

A service history is nice to have but not a must have. Use the lack of service history to negotiate a bit off the price (assuming that the PPI is good).
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:34 PM   #4
2001 Arctic Silver 2.7

Garage
The previous owners provided all the dealer receipts in a legal folder..
Car Fax matched the majority of the dealer receipts..
The car reached a point where the owners quit taking it to the dealers.. Looking at the prices, I can see why. However I did see them get a tune up from one Indy, he replaced 6 plugs and 5 coils.. less than a month later 6 more plugs, and guess what, 1 more coil..
I'm doing the same by keeping the receipts..
T

Car Fax may help...
Old 10-25-2012, 12:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_fury View Post
The previous owners provided all the dealer receipts in a legal folder..
Car Fax matched the majority of the dealer receipts..
The car reached a point where the owners quit taking it to the dealers.. Looking at the prices, I can see why. However I did see them get a tune up from one Indy, he replaced 6 plugs and 5 coils.. less than a month later 6 more plugs, and guess what, 1 more coil..
I'm doing the same by keeping the receipts..
T

Car Fax may help...
thats the thing with mine i bought it at a dodge dealership and they had no previous owner receipts for anything, but the car fax does show services by one porsche dealer almost exclusively and thats where i took it for a prepurchase inspection-also the maintainance book had been stamped showing service at 30,60 and 75,000 miles but there are some holes in the history, im mostly interested in the spark plugs,clutch, RMS and fluids,
Old 10-25-2012, 01:03 PM   #6
2001 Arctic Silver 2.7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by oc-boxster View Post
thats the thing with mine i bought it at a dodge dealership and they had no previous owner receipts for anything, but the car fax does show services by one porsche dealer almost exclusively and thats where i took it for a prepurchase inspection-also the maintainance book had been stamped showing service at 30,60 and 75,000 miles but there are some holes in the history, im mostly interested in the spark plugs,clutch, RMS and fluids,
My records showed the RMS was replaced under warranty around 2002..
I had it re-replaced when I had the clutch and IMS bearing done..
It was leaking.. not a lot, but since they were there...

The IMS unknowing bothered me to the point of taking proactive measures and having it replaced.. 86K at the time..
It was clutch time anyway.. I sound like a broken record.. Just getting down to the rivets.

If you plan on having your IMS replaced, I recommend Scientific Automotive in Pasadena.. Talk to Jack the owner, he knows his stuff..
Reasonable price. Scientific Auto Scientific Automotive | 1727 E Walnut St Pasadena, CA 91106 | 626-795-7018 Porsche Repair | Porsche Service | Mini Cooper Repair | Mini Cooper Service | BMW Repair | BMW Service
Old 10-25-2012, 02:31 PM   #7

Contact the PO and ask him nicely to sign an authorization to give you the service records.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:30 AM   #8

Records

I lucked out with my 1999 Boxster that I bought in 2011. I was cleaning the car and found a cell phone under the drivers seat. I charged it up and found the original owners e mail address. (I am the 3rd owner) She couldn't believe I found her phone, thought it was stolen. She traded the phone for the original records up to about 63,000 miles when she traded it in. The car had 78,000 miles on it when I bought it so I am missing about 15,000 miles of maintenance. I found out a ton of information including an engine replacement by Porsche at around 33,000 miles!
springer123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by san rensho View Post
Contact the PO and ask him nicely to sign an authorization to give you the service records.
thats where a catch 22 is created the dealership where i bought the car wont release the previous owners contact info for the same privacy reasons. and im actually the 4th owner and would rather have info from the 1st 2 owners rather than the last-the previous owner owned the car for only 11 months and put 19,000 miles on it! i hope the oil was changed that year