Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2012, 03:21 PM   #1
Homeboy981

Garage
How Bad Would You Feel?

I was out for a top down drive enjoying the weather and I-75 had a large pile up. I decided not to sit in traffic and took the next exit.

This particular exit is 25mph limit and I rolled through it in third, looked in my rear view and there was a pickup truck "trying to hang". He had several close calls until too much poo-poo built up and he was shocked back into pickup truck reality.

I thought maybe I should slow down and let him collect himself...but I didn't I wrapped out third and rolled on fourth and saw him fade like an old girlfriend. If he would have gone down I know I would have felt bed but it was HIS CHOICE to go baking into the turn.

Question is….what would you do? You will not hear this story elsewhere as i do not want to appear as an A-hole driver. Is that fair or I am I "starting to change?"

Is there ANY WONDER why we have a bad rep then?

Old 10-18-2012, 03:31 PM   #2

Garage
That be like you trying to tow a 4000lb trailer down the highway - good luck with that - LMAO

Everyone on the road drives for themselves... you make decisions and you have to live with them... if someone pushes their car/truck past the limit of their vehicle or their owns capability that would be their problem (IMHO). Hopefully he learned an important lesson today, "pickup trucks aren't sports cars, and dont handle worth a crap"
I see lots of people with fancy SUV's etc that think they can drive them just like a sports car - Reality is that the laws of physics will prove them wrong eventually.
Heiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:45 PM   #3

too bad it wasn't a mini-van

/
Old 10-18-2012, 05:04 PM   #4
WV Boxster

Garage
Had a version of that not too long ago. Wreck and Google map headed off interstate. Road was a 50 mph and was just cruising at 65 or so. Had an older cavalier behind me, hit a 20 mph turn of course I just barely touched brake it was a long sharp sweeper and the cavalier could not hold the turn and went off into different here.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:52 PM   #5

This happened to me years ago. I was driving a late 80s 318is on I70 in the rain when I noticed a young kid (never mind that I was only 19) in a K-Car sedan shadowing me at about 70mph. I braked and downshifted for a 25mph off ramp which I took at around 40mph. The K-Car understeered right into the grass and then the 25mph caution sign. I did feel bad. I stopped and helped him push his pranged K-Car back onto the road.

Neither of us said a word about the events that caused the accident...

Last edited by shadrach74; 10-18-2012 at 05:54 PM.
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:08 PM   #6
2001 Arctic Silver 2.7

Garage
Wouldn't feel bad at all..
The driver controls the horizontal & vertical behind the wheel...
"Do not attempt to adjust your set...."
One must know their limitation..

I was racing on the freeway many years ago, the driver in a brand new camero over steered and rolled his car...
While I felt bad for him, better him than me.. He was ok, but his car was trashed..:ah:
Old 10-18-2012, 06:09 PM   #7

Garage
Anyone tailgates the Dangermobile, I hit the button that sprays down oil and tacks.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:16 PM   #8
2001 Arctic Silver 2.7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
Anyone tailgates the Dangermobile, I hit the button that sprays down oil and tacks.
007.....nice...
Old 10-18-2012, 06:25 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Don't waste the oil... Just pretend you are going around something in the middle of the road and watch the tailgater fade away fast.

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:20 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiko View Post
I see lots of people with fancy SUV's etc that think they can drive them just like a sports car - Reality is that the laws of physics will prove them wrong eventually.
THIS. Reminds me of the time a couple months back when an Escalade nearly flipped over trying to make a sharp turn. I sometimes question what people are thinking at times.
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:44 PM   #11
1999 base

Garage
Quote:
That statement only, can start up a new thread:
"what oil is the best to use on tailgaters :dance:
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:59 PM   #12

When I had one of the first MINI Cooper S's in town I noticed large SUV's trying to hang to get a closer look on cloverleafs and forget about the speed I was carrying into the turn.I never had to touch the brake and they forgot that they should.I could see them crossed up and almost on the door handles many times!
litespeedp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:44 AM   #13
Ex Esso kid

Just my opinion boys but the cliche Spider-man "with great power comes great responsibility" has to be weighed. I came upon a turbo 350 Chevy Nova, he was all fired up, I was right behind him for his entire show and could have taken a lane before two lanes go into a very tight but familiar right hand corner and thus obliterated him right where a Boxster shines best. There is no way steroid lad would have pulled that off. Now let's say he wipes out kills other people in his wake, etc. It's very likely where I live that the lead car that drove away clean and swiftly still might get sucked into that legal vacuum. I'm too old and sore for the iron house or worse yet knowing someone died because an idiot thinks a Nova with a turbo, fresh bushings and lock washers = Boxster Spyder.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:25 AM   #14

Darwin. It always comes back to Darwin.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:10 AM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post
Don't waste the oil... Just pretend you are going around something in the middle of the road and watch the tailgater fade away fast.
This works well. Showing a tailgater brake lights almost never works, but a couple of hard swerves and they think you're a maniac and back the hell off.
grubinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:41 AM   #16

Garage
Here's my thought. It's one thing when you are behind someone and pushing them - Shame on you - BUT when you are in front and doing your own thing, then enjoy the show in the rear view mirror as you pull away on your nice level machine. Since taking ownership I have noticed some other drivers who feel compelled to impress the Porsche driver. It is a great responsibility driving the car (Grin Making Machine) that other cars are compared to
kk2002s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:46 AM   #17
Ex Esso kid

Just to be clear, I wasn't pushing anyone, I hate when that is done to me and I do not do it to others, I just wasn't being lost either. To take the inside open lane and execute a hard right would have been an easy legal move, one I think he would have tried to match from the outer lane with less than Boxster-ish results. I pick my places, I guess my point is not to get other people driving crazy because they can't handle the presence of a Porsche car.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:25 AM   #18
Homeboy981

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 View Post
... I guess my point is not to get other people driving crazy because they can't handle the presence of a Porsche car.
Feel kind of like a shark swimming with 'da fishes! They are going to do what (what ever the heck) they are doing….we just bob and weave to get on on our way…and not get fouled!

Thanks for the responses, so far none have quite worked on the wife, but they have been fun reading! At least I know I'm not alone! There are a few AWAKE individuals out there!
Old 10-19-2012, 09:47 AM   #19

Homeboy981, your initial description wasn't all that descriptive. Did the truck driver lose control and slide off the road?

He should have known better.

However--and this is just me and my thinking and way of doing life--if I see someone following me in the boxster on the freeway and they're on H rated tires in a POS car I will slow down and pull to the center lane and let them pass and they usually blow by and then slow down.

Same goes with tailgaters who follow me through twisties. I will purposely slow down and let them pass.

Why? I dunno. I think it's because I feel I have some responsibility to keep others safe when I can, even if they are not using their common senses to figure out that basic physics come into play.

I'd rather save a life of someone acting foolishly behind me than watch them wreck. Sometimes it's not just automotive damage and wounded egos here, folks.

All this said, they are behind the wheel and making their own decisions. But I don't attempt to lead people into danger without common care for my fellow man.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:51 AM   #20

Randall, you ae not 'leading' them into danger unless it is someone you know who is following you to a specific location. Then and only then are you 'leading' someone; in that situation it is important to make sure that you are driving at a speed and in a way that will allow them to follow you easily and safely, taking into account the vehicle they are driving, their level of experience and their relative lack of knowledge of the roads you are travelling.

Why should we lower our driving speeds so as to reach the level of the lowest common demonimator? Very few cars are capable of cornering and braking as well as our cars - that is one of the reasons most of us bought them. I do not tail gate cars that are holding me up; by the same token I don't worry about pulling away from cars that cannot safely keep pace with me.

If I saw a car behind me fly off the road I would no doubt stop and, if I could do so in safety (and that would not include backing-up on an off-ramp), I would return and offer assistance. If I could not do so in safety, I would likely call 911. I would not, however, feel any responsibilty for nor guilt about their incompetence.

Brad

southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote