Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2012, 09:40 PM   #1

Needing New Brakes at 4mm?

I just took my car in for an oil change at the dealership. I have 25K Miles and the dealer says I have 4mm of brake lining left on all 4 wheels. He said I better replace the brakes soon. The dealer quoted me $3K for all the brakes, I think at that price its time to put in some elbow grease and do it myself.

1. How much lining does the fresh pad have?
2. I think 4mm is still a lot left? Am I wrong?
3. I drive like a grandma and I never really track my car, is 25K miles too early?

Last edited by hqduong; 10-14-2012 at 09:43 PM.
hqduong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:23 PM   #2

Find a new dealer. $3k to repair brake pads should be a hangable offence. I would estimate new pads have about 8mm or so in them.
Squozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:23 PM   #3

1. New pads
standard - 11mm Frt, 11mm Rear
............S - 12mm Frt, 10.5mm Rear

2. Wear Limit - 2mm pads only
.................... - 2.5mm pads & wear indicator

3. Brake wear is only function of how much use they receive and the quality of the pads, not mileage.

If your rotors are still good, then just changing the pads is a very easy do-it-yourself project. It will be more work jacking up the car and taking off the wheels, than changing the pads out. You will need some way to measure the rotors to be sure they are not undersize in thickness.
If you change the pads before the wear indicators are activated, you will avoid having to buy and replace them.
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap

Last edited by Spinnaker; 10-14-2012 at 11:27 PM.
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:33 PM   #4

I was just coming in the house to change my estimate! I looked at my front pads and could tell there was a good 10mm on them.

I'd say what you want to do is go out and measure your remaining pad depth (given that the dealer is charging insane prices, who knows if they lie as well) and if you do have only 4mm left, buy new pads online - you'll have plenty of change from $500 even if you buy Porsche pads.

If the car has only 25k on it, the rotors should have plenty of thickness left (but plan on replacing rotors every two pad changes). Don't worry, changing rotors isn't hard or expensive either.
Squozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:20 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hqduong View Post
I just took my car in for an oil change at the dealership. I have 25K Miles and the dealer says I have 4mm of brake lining left on all 4 wheels. He said I better replace the brakes soon. The dealer quoted me $3K for all the brakes, I think at that price its time to put in some elbow grease and do it myself.

3. I drive like a grandma and I never really track my car, is 25K miles too early?
3k?! 3k!?
http://qkme.me/3rci41
Those brake pads better be made out of solid gold!

With only 25k miles, you only need pads and optionally a brake flush. Rotors should have plenty of life left. If you are curious, a full set of OEM quality brakes can be had for roughly $111. (Mintex) If you are wanting to go generic you could even get them for $70!

New brake pads and a flush can easily be done for $135. You'll just need pads, and brake fluid. If you want, you can buy a power bleeder for $40 to add on.

Last edited by Kenny Boxster; 10-15-2012 at 12:34 AM.
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:07 AM   #6
Ex Esso kid

Quote:

Slide through NY, I'll do it for $2,500 and I'll change the fluid too! This reminds me of my friends mom (78) who paid $200 for an oil change because the facility convinced her it is a more difficult job on a Cayman.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:55 AM   #7

Beck Arnley 082-1545 front pads for a base 986 are less than $27 including shipping from Amazon.

Has anyone tried these?
mikehkang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:01 AM   #8

A novice home mechanic can change all 4 corners with new pads in about an 60 to 90 minutes, its probably the easiest job you could do on a Boxster.

Tools needed: Porsche Jack and lug nut wrench located in your spare tire area, Plus some needle nose pliers to remove the sensors and 1 retaining pin.

Replacing with OEM Pads from Pelican would cost under $400 plus 1 hour or less for a skilled mechanic at $100/hr, so I figure the price is inflated by $2500 or more.

Another dealer that overcharges, has no respect for customers and takes us for fools.

We need a Name/location of that place to add to the list.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 10-15-2012 at 07:06 AM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:09 AM   #9

Garage
OMG - 3K!!!! That's highway robbery...
I think if you look in the dictionary under the word STEALERSHIPS you will find that dealers name listed.... that's insane!!!
Heiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:03 AM   #10

Is it common to have all 4 wheels wear at the same rate? Mid engined or not, this sounds fishy as does the rest of this dealer's story... Every other car I've owned has typically gone through 2 sets of pads up front for every set of rears. Unless your beating the hell out of it or tracking it regularly, rear pads should last way more than 25K. Even fronts ought to do better than that on a car that is used reasonably with the occasional spirited run down a back road...
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:30 AM   #11
2001 Arctic Silver 2.7

Garage
I was going through the maintenance receipts from the previous owner and found that things seem to been replaced in pairs.
I also was curious as to why just replace the front brakes only, then only purchase two front tires.
I understand that the front brakes may wear faster than the rear since the majority of the stopping power is in the front.
I just ordered two rear tires since they wasn't replaced with the fronts...
When I had the car in for the IMS retro, they mentioned the rear pads need to be replace soon. After removing then, they were close to reaching the brake pad sensors, where as the front were replaced prior to my purchase..

Front tire replacement may have been due to poor wheel alignment on front versus rear that warranted replacing and realigning..
Old 10-15-2012, 10:43 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiko View Post
OMG - 3K!!!! That's highway robbery...
I think if you look in the dictionary under the word STEALERSHIPS you will find that dealers name listed.... that's insane!!!
Yeah. I thought it was a joke until I saw the bill. I came in for their oil special and they came out with a list of things to change. I knew about the tire (it's summer in california, don't need much tread), but the brakes surprised me.

This is Stevens Creek Porsche in Santa Clara, CA.

hqduong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:26 AM   #13

I can't trust a dealership that can't spell balance or recommend correctly.

Holy hell I would be out of there SO fast.
MConte05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:18 PM   #14
1999 base

Garage
Quote:
Yeah. I thought it was a joke until I saw the bill. I came in for their oil special and they came out with a list of things to change. I knew about the tire (it's summer in california, don't need much tread), but the brakes surprised me.

This is Stevens Creek Porsche in Santa Clara, CA.

if i was you, i would go and change the oil again, myself.
who knows what they put in there.
hope its not canola
i wouldn't trust this guys to add washer fluid to my car.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:19 PM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MConte05 View Post
I can't trust a dealership that can't spell balance or recommend correctly.

Holy hell I would be out of there SO fast.
They charge $199 extra for the use of spell-check service.

Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:05 PM   #16
Track rat

Garage
Nice profit margins. I'm sure their stockholders are proud.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:16 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meir View Post
i wouldn't trust this guys to add washer fluid to my car.
According to the quote list, they would only top off with water, not add washer fluid. They would probably want another $100 for real washer fluid.
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:49 PM   #18

I don't know what they charge but you might want to try Michael Stead Porsche up in Walnut Creek if you want to stick with a dealer. Tell em I sent you. That said I might do my own front brakes myself here soon. Unlike your dealer saying to change early at 4mm I suspect they will tell you to wait until you hit the limit of 2.5mm or so when the sensor lights activate to save you money. a full pad should be around 10mm.

Btw does anyone have any pictures or info on how to properly measure the rotors? I have a digital caliper/micrometer. I assume the wheels have to come off for this? I know I will need brakes but I am concerned if I DIY then I won't know if rotors are bad...
mcomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:13 PM   #19

In the San Jose area, try High Performance Autohouse in Redwood City (650364-6234). I used to go to him when I lived in Palo Alto, Rich is a real standup guy who was always really honest with me.

In Walnut Creek where I now live, I use Pacific Power Motorsports, which is alway chock full of racing Porsches and the like, and the quotes Eric has given me for involved repairs has always seemed reasonable.
Skrapmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:52 PM   #20

As an FYI if you try PPM I'd double check quotes from Stead. I've contacted PPM a few times for estimated prices and every time the dealer has been lower priced...needless to say I haven't gone to PPM yet... Just saying...

mcomet is offline   Reply With Quote