Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2005, 07:50 AM   #1

Another question about 18" wheels

I want 18" wheels for my 987S (on order), for ride comfort and handling. I like the look of the 18" Carrera III wheels, but I understand they don't fit on a Boxster.

It has been slow to dawn on me that 18" 996 Carrera 5-Spoke wheels look nearly the same and were optional on the 2003 Boxster S. Those wheels come in 8" and 9" widths -- just the same as the 2005/2006 18" Boxster S wheels.

You can see the wheel choices here: Wheel Enhancement

Is there any reason why I shouldn't put 18" 996 Carrera 5-spoke wheels on my 987S?

SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 11:11 AM   #2

Below is information that I got from Wheel Enhancement. Any comments on the info they have provided? Is there any issue created by these differing offsets, or with the use of spacers on the rear wheels only?

According to Wheel Enhancement:

The wheels on the 2006 Boxster S have the following offsets:

8x18" 57mm
9x18" 43mm

The 2002 996 Carrera 5-spoke wheels have the following offsets:

8x18" 50mm
9x18" 52mm

Using the 8x18" 2002 wheel with a 7mm more aggressive offset on the front is not a problem, the wheel will be well within the fender on the car. The rear 9x18" 2002 wheel sits too far inboard without using a spacer, affecting the handling as well as having a negative affect on the appearance. Using a 17mm Porsche Factory wheel spacer (and silver anodized lug nuts) will bring the rear wheel out 8mm further than the stock wheel, compatible with the front wheel's position.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:38 AM   #3
KronixSpeed

20s on a 987

If i had a 987, id put 20s straight up. though this is a 986 forum, id put 19s on my 986. 987 is suppose to be more bold and muscular as opposed to my skinny boxster that will probably fit (well safely) 19s very nicely. 20s on a new boxster....

see u
Old 09-21-2005, 12:03 PM   #4

Depends if you're interested in ride, performance, or bling. Bigger wheels are heavier, and the tires that go on them stiffer. Performance can be a toss-up if the widths aren't getting bigger. Ride will definately suffer.
BuffaloBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 06:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloBoxster
Depends if you're interested in ride, performance, or bling. Bigger wheels are heavier, and the tires that go on them stiffer. Performance can be a toss-up if the widths aren't getting bigger. Ride will definately suffer.
Hi,

Agreed. Add to that, an increase in wheel size increases your Rotational Inertia which can impede acceleration and lengthen braking distances. Also, the most significant thing about the weight increase you mention is that it is Unsprung Weight, very undesireable and something which most Enthusiasts work hard to minimize.

Bigger wheels are pretty much totally about the bling. The performance gains are touted way out of proportion to what they really are in Real World Terms. For the Boxster, the 18" is the best compromise and the biggest you should go. These will fill out the wheel wells nicely without too many negatives.

I know that Porsche sells 19 inchers, but this is totally due to Market Demand and a Sales opportunity. I guarantee they are not running on 19's when they gather their performance data.

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 07:04 PM   #6

18s on the Box rule!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 07:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
18s on the Box rule!

Yep,

Got 18 Turbos on mine! They look great, can't imagine how puny a 16" must look.

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99
Old 09-21-2005, 09:10 PM   #8

Still hoping somebody knowledgeable will wade through the details above about the offsets and the 17mm spacers for the 996 Carrera 18" wheels.

Does that info make sense? Any concerns about the offsets and the spacers?

Does it matter that with PASM the suspension will be lowered 10mm? With the 7mm wider front and 8mm wider rear, is there any significant risk of rubbing the fenders or wheel wells on turns or over bumps?

Last edited by SoCal; 09-22-2005 at 08:58 AM.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:51 PM   #9
KronixSpeed

Well

I ve been told that when i go from a 17 to a 19, i will have less rubber, way lighter rim, and wider tire...so really performance shouldnt be an issue. yes i am under the impression that each inch bigger that i go from the 17 will decrease my 0-60 speed by a second and this on a boxster is really really bad. but someone here corrected this and had a valid point...less rubber lighter rim wider tire...performance is not an issue....for 18s to look really nice, the car has to be dropped 2 inches. 19s drop one inch...sick

no performance issues

check my second pic, this is what a porsche should look like

see u
Old 09-22-2005, 02:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KronixSpeed
I ve been told that when i go from a 17 to a 19, i will have less rubber, way lighter rim, and wider tire...so really performance shouldnt be an issue. yes i am under the impression that each inch bigger that i go from the 17 will decrease my 0-60 speed by a second and this on a boxster is really really bad. but someone here corrected this and had a valid point...less rubber lighter rim wider tire...performance is not an issue....for 18s to look really nice, the car has to be dropped 2 inches. 19s drop one inch...sick

no performance issues

check my second pic, this is what a porsche should look like

see u
Hi,

You have also been told that these things are not true, you simply choose not to believe it.

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99
Old 09-22-2005, 02:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

You have also been told that these things are not true, you simply choose not to believe it.

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99
Is that you Morpheus?
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 05:40 PM   #12

I ate the red pill..and ended up with the 18" Carrera

BTW They have almost the same wheel for the 987 in the brochure.

05 S - looking...
lexuspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 10:12 PM   #13

Hi,

Don't get me wrong, if you want the bigger wheels just for the aesthetics, more power to you! It's your car and your money. Go for it!

But, you're kidding yourself if you think there's a Real World performance benefit. In truth, there are some; if you are at 70MPH+ on a tight road course. Absent this, the negatives outweigh the gains.

I also concede that aesthetics are important, just not all-important, meaning that some compromise should be made. I have 18" Turbos on my Boxster and they look great. I believe and have read of many others that the 18's are the best compromise. Good Luck!

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99
Old 09-23-2005, 06:28 AM   #14

I drove a Box with 19's once and really hated the ride. Needed new fillings.

I agree with Jim on the 18s.

Last point, if you go too large, you will look like a rice rocket!

Too much bling is NOT a good thing!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote