Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2005, 07:37 PM   #1

Anybody have an opinion on a 2005 Accent?

I need a disposable car for some light commuting to and from the train station and as a winter car good on gas.

I like the price of the hyundai accent 3-door.. Its practically costs as much as a boxster oil change ehheeh

I know its off topic but anybody have any opinions on them? I figure I can buy a used car, for 5k or so as my beeter, but if I add up the maintenance and repair costs it may be cheaper to buy the brand new accent at 10-11k with full 5 year warranty. 0% financing is awesome as well..

Thanks
Mike

99-Boxster-MK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 07:51 PM   #2

Hi,

The Hyundai's have come a long way in the past few years. Their quality is very good and it would make a respectible everyday car. I know a few people who really like them.

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 05:21 AM   #3

Thanks Jim...

I have not heard many bad things about the new ones...

Going to go to the dealership and take a look..

Mike
Old 09-22-2005, 06:00 AM   #4

G'day Mate...How about that accent?
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 03:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail26
G'day Mate...How about that accent?
Oh my. C'mon Rail!

Anyway, I hear that they (Hyundais) have improved greatly recently. If your decision is over a new Hyundai vs. used Hyundai, NEW all the way. Those have an impressive powertrain warranty.

Despite that specific scenario/manufacturer, I think it's best to save a few bucks and go with used car... especially if it's just a "beater."

Personally, I'd still rather have a used Honda Accord as a beater... (or 'everyday car' as I call it). Especially if you're willing to part with up to 10k or so. Or how about a used Acura Integra? Those would be my top 2 choices.
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 03:28 PM   #6

Well I just back from the delearship and its a surprisingly decent car for the price.. I think I made a mistake by bringing the boxster to the delearship as I pulled up everybody was staring.. kinda strange ehehhe

Well they are all sold out of 2005 but the new 2006 have the same deal and a few better features. The deal basically worked out to no money down and 150 canadian a month for 60 months at 0.03% (basically 0) financing. I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

The thing for me is that this car is basically maintenance free for 5 years as there bumber to bumper warranty will cover everything, so all i have to do is scheduled maintenance.

If I buy used (I wont get 0% financing) which is no biggy but if they are lending money for free why not take it as their money will be worth 15% less at the end of the term (accounting 3% inflation per year)

A used car will require repairs and replacement of certain components, be they brakes, tires or when somthing breaks, so it adds probably 1000 bux a year in repair costs, which is only 500 dollars below the yearly cost for the Accent..

I donno... I hate buying a crappy car as its hard to pull the trigger... but I know I need a crappy car.

Mike
Mike
Old 09-22-2005, 04:52 PM   #7

Hey Mike!

I actually work for an Auto Group that Sells and services the Hyundai Accent.
Here's my take.

The Accent although inexpensive is actually a decent car. Mechanically, not many
documented problems. If you are looking for a great warranty and inexpensively maintained vehicle, hyundai is very good.

I know the feeling of buying a "crappy car" when you drive a Porsche but I wouldnt
call the Accent crappy. Maybe a 1986 Hyundai Elantra is better described as Crappy.

Known problems for the Hyundai based on my experience ....
Paint quality is lousy. The door handles peel and the base coat and clear coat are
quite thin. They cant be buffed or wet sanded like most other imports.

The handling is lack luster with alot of body roll. They all tap on start up until some lube reaches the head.

As far as saftey, not bad at all. They take a good shot and I havent experienced too many people complaining of injury after an accident. Only problem is the replacement parts are expensive and if the airbags deploy, you have to replace just about every wire harness, seatbelts, computers, dash, sensors, airbags...
most of the time is is a total.

Anyway, best of luck on your purchase!
I would give you my blessing on a dependable, inexpensive, safe
daily driver... as long as the Porsche is available on weekends!

Joe
01 Boxster S
Triple Black
AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 08:49 AM   #8

Hyundai Accents and accidents - my daughter had an Accent as her college car 3-4 years ago. She pulled out in front of a guy (her fault, but heavy shrubs blocked the sightline completely). Car t-boned her in the driver's door at about 35. Accent was totalled - but she walked with a few bruises. Side impact held up well.
limoncello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 09:31 AM   #9

My son has a 2000 Elantra and has driven it about 80k miles, with no particular complaint other than some minor electrical issues with the power windows. Pretty decent little commuting appliance for the price.

Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote