Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2013, 02:57 PM   #41

Thanks for the compliments guys.

First off I don't know about the legal issues of modifying your headlights! However if you are going to run aftermarket HID lights this is the way to go about doing it, just swapping out the bulbs will shine scattered light into other drivers eyes. As far as I know even the new DEPO lights do not come with a true HID projector, The H1 projectors have a true cutoff beam and light pattern as OEM HID lights. I do purchase from retrofitsource and yes the earlier model of the H1 projector did have problems, but they have updated the design since then. You can see that post was from 2010! I also did a few mods of my own to improve the cut off color line! They do not throw scattered light all over the road like just swapping in the cheap bulbs do. As far as getting pulled over or not passing inspection...unless YOU specifically TELL the officer YOU modified them...... I highly doubt anyone would question HID headlights (with a OEM light pattern) on a Porsche. Unless that officer happens to be a Porsche Boxster fanatic and knows every change and model of which headlights were offered.

boxster7614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:57 PM   #42

Garage
Wow, looks like you'll be retro fitting for months...... I'm a newbie but have owned multiple boxsters for years, I know have my car of choice with most work completed but I want to have those headlights..... I'm ready and willing to send them out..... Let me know when you can.....
Cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:38 PM   #43

I'm interested in taking you up on your offer, if you are still interested! I could send you what ever you need as soon as you reply. This is what I really need to sharpen the look of my car.
Thank you!

StresBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:47 PM   #44

Garage
Hey Jeff. The car will look stunning with the new headlights. Can't wait!!

Old 04-05-2013, 04:10 AM   #45
Pup

Very, very nice work! Love it!

What kind of wheels are those? Like them very much!

Pup
2003 Mini Cooper, Triple Black, The Misses car
2007 Ducati GT1000 Sport Classic, 1 of 200
Pup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:31 PM   #46

Garage
Side profile.

You can see the side profile of the front bumper a little better in this pic.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:49 AM   #47

I'm in Canada so have daytime running lights with the M113 control module.

Can I wire angel eyes to serve that function, like BMW? I'd like to keep the original high beams too.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:42 PM   #48

Yes you could wire the Angel eyes to use as Daytime lights, but no go on keeping the original high beams as that's where the new hi/lo hid projectors mount.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:48 PM   #49

@cope what front end is that? custom?

man those retrofit hids look even better than the oem litronics i have. makes me wanna swap them out for halogens and retrofit them.
Battouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:31 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxster7614 View Post
no go on keeping the original high beams as that's where the new hi/lo hid projectors mount.
Why can't the new projectors be mounted in the low beam hole? This fellow did it "so when the high beam is activated, the H7 bulb turns on in addition to lowering the high beam shield in the projector. This way, I can flash my high beams without turning on the HIDs."

http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/34106-diy-hid-projector-install-instructions.html
Old 04-07-2013, 11:23 AM   #51

Garage
It is a prior designs front end, great fit, good company, highly recommend.....

[QUUOTE=Battouter;335572]@cope what front end is that? custom?

man those retrofit hids look even better than the oem litronics i have. makes me wanna swap them out for halogens and retrofit them.[/QUOTE]
Old 04-07-2013, 02:21 PM   #52
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Upper socket is low beam, lower socket is high beam, so it is possible to install projectors and keep high beams

If one installed projectors in the lower high beam socket, it would sit in the bottom of the headlight and look strange. I think there was a little confusion there.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:15 PM   #53

I don't know it might work, I'm doing a few retrofits this weekend i'll play around a bit. I'm assuming there might be some pretty good shadows as the HID projector protrudes down a bit blocking some of the lower lens. You would also need to leave the inside of the bowel chrome.

I'm getting a ton of questions about the deambering. I am only talking about removing the small amber reflector inside the already clear lights. Many people try to do this with a soldering iron, do a search.
There is no way to remove the Amber on the earlier pre 2002 lights as the Amber is formed into the lens during the manufacturing process.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:23 PM   #54

Help! I can't figure out how to do the wiring with my stock daytime running lights.

According to the Bentley wiring diagram, there are 5 lights in the headlight module. High, low, fog, turn signal, side marker (park light).

I think what you non-DRL folks are wiring to the projector is low beam wires to the bulb and the high to the cutoff shield solenoid. Correct?

I was thinking of retaining the halogen high beams, which would mean splitting the high beam supply to the highs and the bi-xenon solonoid. Doable?

As the stock DRL uses the low beams, does anyone know if the DRL supplies reduced voltage to the lows and will that be an issue for the projector? Anyways, I'd rather use angel eyes for DRL instead of the low beams. Any way to do that?

Also, is it possible to keep all the wiring changes in the headlight module, including mounting of the ballasts on the outside of the end cap?

Anyone with a Canadian car done a xenon project retrofit?

Last edited by clickman; 04-21-2013 at 12:41 PM.
clickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:28 AM   #55

Im also very interested in this conversion! Maybe your first European client

Will start looking for a set of normal headlights!
Edreamsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:05 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxster7614 View Post
Thanks guys, I'm very happy with the way they turned out I really think it does update the look of the lights.

I really didn't use any specific guide. This is not the first pair of headlights I have retrofitted. Years ago when I first purchased my clear lights for my 986 I ordered them separately off ebay and it turned out one was for a 986 the other was for a 996. I assumed they were both the same however, some of the 996 lights had an extra chrome piece in them. I wanted to remove this extra piece and I had heard you could bake open headlights, as I had an extra set of the amber lights lying around I started experimenting putting them in the oven. I broke the first light trying to get it open.....its not like you just heat them up and they pop off! It takes some considerable and careful prying and pulling to get them apart. Once I learned how to open them playing with my old lights, I felt comfortable enough to open my new light and remove the extra chrome insert.

I don't like taking my car to a mechanic, I fix everything myself. I do all my own customizing including paint and body work. I have done a lot of work for friends and friends of friends. Retrofitting headlights isn't the hardest thing to do but it does require some skill with a soldering iron, using the right sealant, quality parts, painting, grinding, cutting and baking LOL It also require an eye for detail. google is your friend try typing in theretrofitsource and see where that gets you, there are many forums out there with guides to learn from. As far as cost goes you can look up that place I mentioned above to see what the parts would run.

I would be willing to do a few sets for board members while I have time if you want to ship me your lights. PM me for details but it ends up: shipping cost + $200 Labor + $200 projectors & supplies + what ever ballast & bulb kit you choose to use. I just use the $50 ebay ones and have had great luck them. I would think by time you ship them you could end up at right around $500 total. Definitely not looking to get rich off this just trying to give you guys some options but I can't do it out of the kindness of my heart as it take me about 3 days to do a set.
Hi there, so it looks like this post is a few years old now but I am in possession of two sets of lights...a litronic clear set and a halogen clear set and I'd be keen to ship you either for retrofitting as I've done about everything else possible to bring my boxster up to date. We have a custom Porsche garage in Sydney called ******************************** Hamilton who race the aussie Carrera cup and my 986 Box is their fave..

Love to hear back from you or anyone else who is retrofitting as a service!

Many thanks

Adrian
ade_SKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:57 AM   #57
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ade_SKI View Post
Hi there, so it looks like this post is a few years old now but I am in possession of two sets of lights...a litronic clear set and a halogen clear set and I'd be keen to ship you either for retrofitting as I've done about everything else possible to bring my boxster up to date. We have a custom Porsche garage in Sydney called ******************************** Hamilton who race the aussie Carrera cup and my 986 Box is their fave..

Love to hear back from you or anyone else who is retrofitting as a service!

Many thanks

Adrian
Hi Adrian,

My name is Charles...you have PM

Take a look here for a wealth if info and pictures related to these projectors

Thanks!

These projectors are modeled after the Carrera GT's headlights

Last edited by particlewave; 01-27-2014 at 06:24 AM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:36 AM   #58
Custom User Title Here

Garage
And more pics...

Last edited by particlewave; 01-27-2014 at 06:24 AM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 05:19 AM   #59
ISENDM

Bi-Xenon

Looks awesome! What kind of paint did you use to paint inner housing ? Did you paint the entire housing or just the bucket part of the main headlamp area? Any tips or full instructions to do this job would be appreciated.

Thanks, Peter
isendm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 06:39 AM   #60

http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/48169-porsche-headlight-retrofit-%5B-cad-prototyping-finish.html

The ultimate bi-xenon headlight retrofit kit for Sport & Super cars