Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2021, 11:48 AM   #6241

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
Changed the oil and noticed there was what appeared to be a small leak from the right side axle seal. I didn't feel like ripping out the axle to change the seal, so I just got some Mobil1 75w90 Gear Oil to make sure it doesn't run dry. It took about .2 liters! YIKES! Could someone tell me the capacity is? I'm curious how much was actually in there.

The good news is that the oil and filter came out clean and free of debris. :dance: Last oil change I got a scare with some shavings, but I guess that was a result of the time my (soon-to-be-EX) wife did DE.
I changed mine a couple of months ago, almost 3 lts.

Enviado desde mi SM-A505G mediante Tapatalk

Old 04-06-2021, 10:49 AM   #6242

Replaced the rear deck speakers

Old original speakers were worn out and decaying.

Replacement speakers. I went with the FaitalPRO 3" full-range woofers from Parts Express. They fit perfectly in the factory plastic except for 1 speaker tab needing to be removed on the outermost speaker on each side. They sound way better (how could they not) than the factory ones.

I did the dash speaker replacement years ago.
Old 04-06-2021, 04:15 PM   #6243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim1ock77 View Post
Old original speakers were worn out and decaying.

Replacement speakers. I went with the FaitalPRO 3" full-range woofers from Parts Express. They fit perfectly in the factory plastic except for 1 speaker tab needing to be removed on the outermost speaker on each side. They sound way better (how could they not) than the factory ones.

I did the dash speaker replacement years ago.
Do you have a link? Mine sound terrible.

WTB: any cheap 986 shifter new or used
Qingdao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 05:47 AM   #6244

Link for FaitalPro 3FE25 speakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qingdao View Post
Do you have a link? Mine sound terrible.
https://www.parts-express.com/FaitalPRO-3FE25-3-Professional-Woofer-8-Ohm-294-1104
Old 04-07-2021, 08:28 AM   #6245

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulofto View Post
You should give it a good swift kick while it is laying there.
I missed the chance to kick it, but I did slam dunk it into the garbage can. It was a cathartic experience.
AXCM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 01:48 PM   #6246
2004 Boxster

I thought that the speakers would be 4 ohm, not 8 ?
Old 04-07-2021, 04:37 PM   #6247

sunny day drive

I drove the Boxster to work today and put the top down (the first time this year) for my drive home. Took the curvy route along the river, a great way to de-stress after a hard day. The car seemed to be especially happy today, or maybe that was just me...

cheers - dj
Old 04-07-2021, 04:37 PM   #6248

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuropaDrive View Post
I thought that the speakers would be 4 ohm, not 8 ?
The originals are 6 ohm wired in parallel (which takes the load town to 3 ohm) from what I could tell. I was more comfortable replacing the two 6 ohm speakers with two 8 ohm as that takes the load down to 4 ohm. A 2 ohm load is harder on an amp which would be the load with two 4 ohm speakers (I am not powering them off an amp, just the factory head unit for now).

The 8 ohms work very well as they do not take as much to drive from the factory stereo. They sell the exact same speakers at 4 ohm load also if you prefer to try.

Last edited by Grim1ock77; 04-07-2021 at 05:06 PM.
Grim1ock77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 04:58 PM   #6249
Shacky

Cleaned Radiators/Replaced Ballast Resistors

Finally cleaned out radiators and replaced 2 faulty ballast resistors while my bumper is being repainted. What a mess!

And now there is low speed fan!!!

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/q227/shacky1973/IMG_0449.MOV?width=285&height=175&crop=fill

Last edited by shacky; 04-13-2021 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Add video
shacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 02:22 PM   #6250

Garage
Replaced the motor mount with a Power Flex yellow insert and replaced the spark plugs. Had tubes but the existing ones looked fine. Long day including taking the mount to a local machine shop to press the old insert out. Thankfully the Power Flex bushing is easy to press in. The center of the old insert fell out when I took out the mount lol!

Took the car for a quick drive before weather moved in. The car felt so much better. some have said that there is a huge increase in vibration with the Power Flex. I did not experience that throughout the RPM's. It was wonderful. Nice, tight shifts, no lurching when accelerating, no thuds over bumps. With the new plugs, the car fires up much quicker.

Took me much longer than I anticipated, but well worth it in the end!
Radman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 11:55 AM   #6251

Garage
Cleaned the seats and applied Zaino "Leather in a Bottle" conditioner and protectant. Stuff helps the leather smell so good.

Also applied a LOAD of touch up paint to the hood, driver's door, rear deck, and both front quarter panels. The hood was an absolute mess. At least 100 spots that needed to be addressed. Waited 3 hours and then cleaned up with Langka blob eliminator. Followed up with a light hand polish to remove the Langka residue. Looks at least 80-90% better. The deeper scratches and chips will need another round or two. The paint match from Automotivetouchup.com looks to be perfect.

It's a very labor intensive and, for me, painful process. I've had two neck fusion surgeries and have severe arthritis and disc issues up and down my spine. So any working with my hands and arms is painful. But the end result is so worth it. Hopefully I'll have recovered by next weekend so I can do round 2 on the touch up, Langka, polish process. If I'm really lucky, it will only take 2 times to fill everything in. When it's not pouring rain hopefully I can get some pics. Should have taken some before pics, will have to see if I can find any. When I do the rest of the car I'll try to take some before and after picks.
Old 04-15-2021, 10:16 AM   #6252

Retrofitted 986.2 bosch injectors into my 2000 base. Full post in DIY section - check it out!
Old 04-15-2021, 12:29 PM   #6253

Garage
Put in my first $1000 parts order to rebuild an engine. I intend to try rebuilding one as a retirement challenge. Fortunately, I have a perfect '99 so no frustration at not being able to drive!
Old 04-15-2021, 05:31 PM   #6254

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsguy View Post
Put in my first $1000 parts order to rebuild an engine. I intend to try rebuilding one as a retirement challenge. Fortunately, I have a perfect '99 so no frustration at not being able to drive!
I would recommend you get Jake Raby's video.
SlowernOlder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 06:19 PM   #6255

Found a nice set of OEM Headlights from local FB Marketplace to replace mine that have the infamous brown burn marks on the inner lense.

Not to decide if I keep the old ones for a projector bulb conversion or if I decide to sell them for someone else so they can do the swap. Hmmmm.
Zzorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 04:10 AM   #6256

Dragged my sorry sleepy grumpy @$$ out of bed at stupid o'Clock. Car was grumpy also but after 25 mins on the motorway we pulled off and started the climb.

Cold air, dry roads, tight corners, snicking between 2nd & 3rd, a touch of brake and back to 2nd, tyres load and bite, lovely turn in, feed the power back in, grab 3rd and rinse and repeat. The reward was worth the lack of sleep. I imagine I hear the car calling for more, alas it's a better car than I am a driver and we are on public roads so prudence prevailed.

Just one of those mornings when everything flowed and was good in the world.

Spectacular sunrise and amazing light. 210kms clocked up and home before the house even knew I was gone.

The 986 may not be the hero car when compared to others but it does deliver an exceptional driving experience.

It's morning's like this that confirm the Boxster is probably the best bang for you buck sports car out there.
2003 Boxster S, Seal Grey
Traco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 05:05 AM   #6257

Garage
And they still look good too! Nice pics!
Old 04-17-2021, 06:01 AM   #6258

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traco View Post
Dragged my sorry sleepy grumpy @$$ out of bed at stupid o'Clock. Car was grumpy also but after 25 mins on the motorway we pulled off and started the climb.

Cold air, dry roads, tight corners, snicking between 2nd & 3rd, a touch of brake and back to 2nd, tyres load and bite, lovely turn in, feed the power back in, grab 3rd and rinse and repeat. The reward was worth the lack of sleep. I imagine I hear the car calling for more, alas it's a better car than I am a driver and we are on public roads so prudence prevailed.

Just one of those mornings when everything flowed and was good in the world.

Spectacular sunrise and amazing light. 210kms clocked up and home before the house even knew I was gone.

The 986 may not be the hero car when compared to others but it does deliver an exceptional driving experience.

It's morning's like this that confirm the Boxster is probably the best bang for you buck sports car out there.

Thanks for an inspirational write up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
imhighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 07:45 AM   #6259

Garage
Definitely the best bang for your buck sports car out there! Nice pictures
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 01:29 PM   #6260
2004 Boxster

Wow, beautiful pics, thanks for sharing !

I replaced my 4 tires today and FINALLY solved the vibration issue above 110 km/h. I went from Cooper (came with the car) to Michelin Sport AS4.

The Cooper's had lots of thread left (7/32) but were probably warped or damaged. I had the wheels balanced multiple times, alignment done, front wheel repaired, suspension checked. No luck.

A local shop here said to replaced the flywheel, it must be out of balance.....yeah sure. A small $2000 repair, which I fortunately did not do. It was the tires.

Anyway my wife is glad that I'll stop complaining about the vibration, which she thought was in my head.

Oh well, at least she lets me play with my toy.