Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2016, 01:33 PM   #2941
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
Me too, sort of, new rotors and pads on all 4 corners and brake flush, I'm still on ATE Type 200 "Super Gold", and my track weekend is the following weekend. It will be nice to not be sweating the whole time due to the heat here in FL.

Also solved an odd pinging/scraping noise, it was the LCA/tie rod ball joint heat shield behind the rotor, I must have bent it when installing the Koni FSD and it was scraping a high spot/pad deposit on my old rotor. I bent it back and it is blissfully silent now. And now that I see this picture up close, I need to clean my calipers, dang.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
Why are the guide pins so close to the rotors ?
That's normal

2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 05:36 PM   #2942
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggo View Post
Today at 12.15 am I went into the garage to check the car , hoping that nothing had fallen on it .We had a massive earthquake centered just 50 KM from here , a 7.8 magnitude . It really did shake things up .My house and Boxster are all ok though . We had another 6.6 just a few moments ago .Apart from that it's a nice day!!
Having grown up in SoCal, earthquakes are pretty normal for us. But 7.8 is impressive. Even the aftershocks, at 6.6, are quite serious. I have seen some scary pictures of twisted up asphalt. And sadly, the international news has reported 2 fatalities thus far.

When LA finally has it's 'big one', it will be the start of the Zombie Apocalypse. Good to hear you are okay.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 07:39 AM   #2943

Garage
change the ignition switch and starter motor ...I feel so good I was able to do this job my self ..it boosted my confidence up I feel like I can do anything on this car now.
flete25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 07:55 AM   #2944

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
That's normal
They need to be close to the disk to do their job. As the pads wear, the caliper pistons will push out and the backing plate of the pad will be closer to the rotor, and the guide pins can still do their job. The guide pins are in a fixed position, they are never going to touch the rotor. But I felt the same thing when I did my front brakes, I had to think it through!
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 07:57 AM   #2945

Quote:
Originally Posted by flete25 View Post
change the ignition switch and starter motor ...I feel so good I was able to do this job my self ..it boosted my confidence up I feel like I can do anything on this car now.
Good Job! I'm going to do the ignition switch next weekend. I've done a few things on my car but nothing involving the engine or removing any of the engine access panels!
Old 11-15-2016, 09:48 AM   #2946

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
Good Job! I'm going to do the ignition switch next weekend. I've done a few things on my car but nothing involving the engine or removing any of the engine access panels!
for the ignition make sure you have a short and thin friend to take the two screws that hold the ignition together...it worked for me ..lol ! am a big guy and didn't want take the seat out
flete25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 11:05 AM   #2947

Quote:
Originally Posted by flete25 View Post
for the ignition make sure you have a short and thin friend to take the two screws that hold the ignition together...it worked for me ..lol ! am a big guy and didn't want take the seat out
At 6-3 and 200 I'm not small either. I'm planning on removing the side air vent, the lower ductwork and maybe the headlight switch, but not the seat. Amazon is delivering a headlamp that straps to my head and I'm buying that $7 flexible screwdriver set from Harbor Freight.
Old 11-16-2016, 05:30 PM   #2948
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Burned up my damn clutch! Arghhhhh!!!

:troll:
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 07:19 PM   #2949

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Burned up my damn clutch! Arghhhhh!!!

:troll:
Not good enough! We need the story behind this!

DBear
dbear61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 09:59 PM   #2950
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I figured teaching a teenager 1st gear starts would be easy in a big parking lot if I pointed him downhill.

I figured wrong.

Last edited by particlewave; 11-17-2016 at 12:08 AM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 10:15 PM   #2951
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Looking back at the first page of this thread...post #4...we were so young and stupid, Liesl and I.
Where did the time go?

I may be a bit intoxicated...signing off.
Old 11-17-2016, 03:53 AM   #2952
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
I figured teaching a teenager 1st gear starts would be easy in a big parking lot if I pointed him downhill.

I figured wrong.

Sorry to hear. Tried teaching my wife to drive manual on the Boxster, and after a few stalls, I told her that was it for the lessons that day. Perhaps your clutch was on it's way out soon anyway?...how many miles on it?...

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 04:41 AM   #2953

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
At 6-3 and 200 I'm not small either. I'm planning on removing the side air vent, the lower ductwork and maybe the headlight switch, but not the seat. Amazon is delivering a headlamp that straps to my head and I'm buying that $7 flexible screwdriver set from Harbor Freight.
That's how I did mine Removing the headlight switch and that vent made it a lot easier for me
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 06:35 AM   #2954

New Michelin PS2's on the Box, replacing the Continentals. Always hard to compare old tires vs. new - but I will say the PS2's feel nice and grippy - and the road noise is considerably less than the 5 year old Conti's. And done just in time to go to sleep for the winter!
#can'twaitforspring
Old 11-17-2016, 02:05 PM   #2955
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy View Post
Sorry to hear. Tried teaching my wife to drive manual on the Boxster, and after a few stalls, I told her that was it for the lessons that day. Perhaps your clutch was on it's way out soon anyway?...how many miles on it?...
Most likely was worn to begin with, though I never noticed it slipping. The car came with a fairly extensive service record and there's no mention of a clutch job anywhere, though I'm not sure a stock clutch could last 96k miles.

I got rid of my dd a few months ago, so I'm stranded until I get it done and that may be a while.
Old 11-17-2016, 03:05 PM   #2956
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
96k is pretty good for a clutch. Hope you get her back on the road soon.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 04:57 PM   #2957

Well I left work a couple hours early today, came home and changed out the electrical switch portion of my ignition lock. I ordered 2 of the $7 Meyle switches from ECS Tuning, but because I ordered another part from them that wasn't in, those won't be here until next week. So I cancelled one of the switches from ECS and bought one at my local NAPA store. It was pretty straightforward, thanks to the tips here and at Pedro's. One weird thing, the wrapping around the wires for the lighting on the light switch was really gooey! I wrapped that up with some black tape and cleaned up the goo, put it all back together and everything works!

I was surprised that this plastic part caused the steering wheel to not lock and that the car started and some things worked, but not the headlights and not the heated seats! So I was concerned that changing this switch out for a new one wasn't going to fix everything, but it did!

I have to say my hands and wrists hurt from getting in there to do the work. I had a great boss for 10 years who used to say "I'm getting too old for this ****!" about stuff in the office. I'm starting to feel like that about some of these jobs!

Tomorrow I get to drive the Boxster to work and back, 120 miles total, with my new Ben006 ball bearing shifter and my new Nine8Six projector lights!

Old 11-17-2016, 08:04 PM   #2958

Quote:
Looking back at the first page of this thread...post #4...we were so young and stupid, Liesl and I.
Where did the time go?

I may be a bit intoxicated...signing off.
Were you in a locker room when you posted that?

DBear
dbear61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 05:55 PM   #2959
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
I changed the oil...

Then took it for a spin:

...Should have used Mobil 1.
Old 11-19-2016, 06:12 PM   #2960

That happen quick!