Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2020, 01:17 PM   #5541

Added 12mm spacers to the front wheels.
Grilled the side vents.
Found the battery went dead so threw it on the charger. Glad that I relocated the emergency frunk latch cable to the bumper plug.
Raised the spoiler in preparation to remove the back bumper to ventilate and grill around the license plate depression.
Put the top up incase I finish the bumper in time for a wash and wax tomorrow.
Should be on the road for April fools day.

WillH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 04:09 PM   #5542
jcp

Changed the coolant today along with the front and and rear sway bar bushings. May have stumbled across the reason for the slight steering wheel shake. The passenger side outer tie rod end has a small amount of slack at the bearing carrier connection. Order more parts....seems like an every two week deal.
jcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 09:35 PM   #5543

Garage
Replaced transmission mounts

Put the boxster on the quick jack and changed out the transmission mounts. OMG, the vibration at 3K rpm is gone and it’s so quiet now. Tip for the next person to do this, you don’t have to take the bracket off on the right passenger side, just unbolt the two 13mm bolts and the 19mm bolt to the bracket and lift the mount off. Took less than hour. Replacing the left drivers side on the other hand took 2 1/2 hours. i took the bracket off with the mount. I think I could have just taken the drivers side off by removing the 2 13mm bolts and the 19mm bolt like I did to the passenger side.
Steelepuls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 02:39 PM   #5544

Finished my reupholstery / seat reinstall and wheel offset / damping adjustments Saturday. Took it out for a test drive, very happy overall.

Hope everyone is doing well during this challenging time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 02:42 PM   #5545

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelepuls View Post
Put the boxster on the quick jack and changed out the transmission mounts. OMG, the vibration at 3K rpm is gone and it’s so quiet now. Tip for the next person to do this, you don’t have to take the bracket off on the right passenger side, just unbolt the two 13mm bolts and the 19mm bolt to the bracket and lift the mount off. Took less than hour. Replacing the left drivers side on the other hand took 2 1/2 hours. i took the bracket off with the mount. I think I could have just taken the drivers side off by removing the 2 13mm bolts and the 19mm bolt like I did to the passenger side.

What year and model? My 99 motor mount was shot at 87k miles, but was thinking the transmission mounts may still be ok??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 04:44 PM   #5546

Garage
[QUOTE=Kboggs;613890]What year and model? My 99 motor mount was shot at 87k miles, but was thinking the transmission mounts may still be ok??

KBoggs, mine is a 2001 S, has 105k miles on it. The front motor mount was replaced last year, almost 3/4 of the rubber was ripped. When I replaced it, the rumble at 3K rpms got worse, so i think the front mount clamped down on the motor and caused the transmission mounts to show their age. The rumble was really irritating. Now it is smooth at 3k rpms, engine is all i can hear. If you don’t hear the rumble, you might good for now.
Old 03-23-2020, 05:32 PM   #5547
01 Seal Gray 986 S

Looks great! That interior color looks amazing. (as does the exterior)

Superb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcarguy View Post
Finished my reupholstery / seat reinstall and wheel offset / damping adjustments Saturday. Took it out for a test drive, very happy overall.

bg305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 06:12 PM   #5548

Garage
Quote:

That upholstery is beautiful. Who did that stitching?
Old 03-24-2020, 07:18 AM   #5549

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelepuls View Post
That upholstery is beautiful. Who did that stitching?
Thanks Steele, I ordered the upholstery from Classic 9 Leather Shop in Dearborn Heights, MI. It seems that they can do pretty much anything within reason if you call to discuss.
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice

Last edited by Oldcarguy; 03-25-2020 at 03:25 AM.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:22 AM   #5550

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg305 View Post
Looks great! That interior color looks amazing. (as does the exterior)

Superb!
Thanks Bg, it’s a 550SE so it’s the Cocoa interior with the GT Silver Metallic exterior.

Last edited by Oldcarguy; 03-25-2020 at 03:26 AM.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:40 AM   #5551

Drained the old gas out of the tank, pulling the frame for the gas sender I broke the plastic connector off where the gas line clips in. Dammed Plastic! That dumb frame is really expensive, to get one new would require a trip to the dealer. So I fixed it. Got some proper sized brass tube, drilled the plastic fitting with a proper sized drill bit, rammed it back together and glued with superglue and baking soda. Probably as strong as new. Used the same technique on the vacuum fitting on the AOS hose. Nice to save expensive plastic!

Today, I'm going to put the tank top back together, I think. Or I may use my shop vac to blow warm dry air in to evap the rest of the gas first. The old gas will get used little by little in my Toyota Highlander, I think. New fuel filter is on the way from ********************************, new pressure regulator, too. So there's no hurry to put it all together. List censors Rock Auto?

Gas will be Chevron, and I'll add some extra Techron to clean the guts of the injector. Even if I get the Boxster running right, won't be able to drive it 'til the smog check station opens back up. MVD (motor vehicle department) is by appt. only, too.

No hurry, I'm enjoying the New Beetle Convert. with Turbo. And there's more to do on the Boxster. I ordered a bunch of RIT dye to renue the carpets. Maybe put it up on quick jack to change out the struts, too.

Last edited by Brian in Tucson; 03-24-2020 at 08:47 AM.
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 08:45 AM   #5552

Quote:

Hope everyone is doing well during this challenging time. Images snipped!

Looks wonderful, Fred!
Old 03-24-2020, 10:22 AM   #5553

Garage
Yesterday, I removed the stock throttle body and plenum, along with an EVOM air intake, and replaced
it with a 997 IPD throttle body and plenum, and a custom carbon fiber ram air intake.
(setup was made from a fellow forum member)

during this process, I ended up breaking a "vent line / oil separator "
( part number 996-107-146-00)

I did not put tape on it... new one coming in tomorrow ($55 from dealership)

It was tough, but hands down the best upgrade I've done so far!
2000 Boxster S, SPEC stage 1 clutch, Fabspeed sport headers, Fabspeed secondary cat deletes, Billy&Boat muffler, EVOM air intake, Ben006's Custom Short Shifter, Pedro's TechnoBrace, Eibach rear sway bar, De-snorkeled, Fred's custom projector HL
Dubaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 02:18 PM   #5554

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson View Post
Looks wonderful, Fred!
Thanks Brian. I’m done with the Box for this season. Glad to know you have projects to keep you occupied during the great isolation
Old 03-24-2020, 03:00 PM   #5555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubaday View Post
Yesterday, I removed the stock throttle body and plenum, along with an EVOM air intake, and replaced
it with a 997 IPD throttle body and plenum, and a custom carbon fiber ram air intake.
(setup was made from a fellow forum member)

during this process, I ended up breaking a "vent line / oil separator "
( part number 996-107-146-00)

I did not put tape on it... new one coming in tomorrow ($55 from dealership)

It was tough, but hands down the best upgrade I've done so far!
Images snipped! I broke the little vacuum fitting off mine (second one I've broken, btw.) Using a proper bit of brass tubing, I slipped it in, jammed it together and glued it all with Rhino glue and baking soda. Better than new! If I were you, I'd try to mend the old one as practice. Rhino glue is fancy superglue, btw. Used it to glue the window back in on my New Beetle convertible.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:55 PM   #5556

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson View Post
Images snipped! I broke the little vacuum fitting off mine (second one I've broken, btw.) Using a proper bit of brass tubing, I slipped it in, jammed it together and glued it all with Rhino glue and baking soda. Better than new! If I were you, I'd try to mend the old one as practice. Rhino glue is fancy superglue, btw. Used it to glue the window back in on my New Beetle convertible.
I'm not gonna lie, I broke that piece on both ends, and in the middle! you'd think the tubing on it would be more flexible like an accordion, but nope! I used duct tape, super glue and electrical tape to make it look more presentable just temporary til the new part arrives tomorrow
2000 Boxster S, SPEC stage 1 clutch, Fabspeed sport headers, Fabspeed secondary cat deletes, Billy&Boat muffler, EVOM air intake, Ben006's Custom Short Shifter, Pedro's TechnoBrace, Eibach rear sway bar, De-snorkeled, Fred's custom projector HL
Dubaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 11:07 AM   #5557

Steamwashed all carpeted interior parts (floor carpet, vertical behind the seats, above the engine and also the capet on the storage box above engine) and like magic - the brownish color of dirt is gone and the original grey color is back :dance:
Old 03-25-2020, 06:34 PM   #5558

Bought some 987 Cayman S wheels on Kijiji a while ago, mounted Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and put them on my 2001 Boxster S yesterday. Upgrading from the stock 17 inchers. Lovin the look and feel. No appreciable deterioration in ride quality and car shows quicker turn in and less understeer. Wasn't expecting a win/win, but I'll take it!
PeterBleakney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 07:15 PM   #5559

Finished spraying my front bumper. Ocean Blue Metalic. Looks like great match from Roberts Paint care. Front bumper cover took 3 rattle cans of paint and 2 rattle cans of clearcoat. It's gonna make the car look a whole lot better than primer look I've been sporting for about 2 years!
Zzorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 04:04 AM   #5560

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzorro View Post
Finished spraying my front bumper. Ocean Blue Metalic. Looks like great match from Roberts Paint care. Front bumper cover took 3 rattle cans of paint and 2 rattle cans of clearcoat. It's gonna make the car look a whole lot better than primer look I've been sporting for about 2 years!
Do you have some pics?

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

rflores2323 is offline   Reply With Quote